august MCAT delays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kimg

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking the august mcats, which means I won't get my scores until the end of september or mid october. Do I still complete my AMCAS appications in June though and send them out now or do I wait until I get my scores back? The school of my choice does rolling admissions...how badly will I be afffected?

Members don't see this ad.

If you take the August test, make sure you have all your applications completed as early as possible. Get your AMCAS essay in by the end of this month and have all your secondaries complete by the end of August. Also, make sure all your recommendations are in as soon as possible. That way, schools can begin reviewing your application once the MCAT are in at the end of October. If you do this, you might receive interviews from November through April. Whether or not your application is weakened by the August test really depends on your strength as a candidate, and it is not ideal for schools with rolling admissions. Still, plenty of people get in with August scores (I myself did), but often have to wait until the end of winter or early spring to get acceptances. Good Luck.

Noah...
Thanks for the great advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, AMCAS says they won't evaluate your application until all materials are in, including the last MCAT. Because of this, I don't think it matters if you submit your app before the August score report because it will just sit in a file until the score comes in. I suggest doing it whenever you have more time on your hands for transcript requests, evaluation letters, etc. If you put it off make sure you apply immediately after the score report.

This happened to me last year. By the time the MCAT was scored and the application service finished my app (6-8 wks?), the schools I applied to had either 0,1, or 2 interview days left! And don't forget the schools shut down for a week or two during Christmas break.

Ray - Unless I'm not reading your post correctly, I had a different experience with my AMCAS application. I submitted the AMCAS application in mid-July and it was processed the beginning of August. I began receiving secondaries in the middle of August until mid-September. I took the August MCAT and completed all my secondaries by September/ early October. The MCAT scores arrived the third week of August and I got my first request for interviews by Mid-November.
I think it's very important for people taking the August MCAT to have all their materials submitted to the schools by early October, so they can review your application once scores arrive. Remember, your application will be sitting in a pile with other August MCAT takers, if you get your materials in early you will be at the top of the pile when applications are reviewed and have a better shot of getting interviews in the late fall/early winter.

Noah...
Thanks for your helpful replies. I will definitely do as you did and make sure all my stuff gets done quickly. One thing puzzles me though...you said in your response to Ray that you got your August MCAT scores the third week of August?? Just a type-o, right? Thanks for all your help!

oops - sorry 'bout that, August NCAT scores arrived 3rd week of October.

I took the August MCAT, as well as both halves of orgo last summer. I sent my AMCAS and transcripts off as soon as my grades were back from summer session and my application was processed without my MCAT scores. I received my transmittal notification somewhere around the 2nd week in september, and had all of the secondaries I had received thus far filled out and mailed by the time MCAT grades were released mid october. My first interview was the 2nd week in November. My advice to you is fill everything out as EARLY as you can, and the august MCAT won't hurt you as much as people say it will. I ended up with a few schools to choose from.

Good luck to you...

jpc

Ditto Noah and jpc. Took Aug MCAT, received secondaries well before MCAT scores were in... MCAT scores came in the end of October, first interview in November. Acceptance before most people I know. They wouldn't offer the test in August if it was going to hurt you that much, but then again it helps to have all your other ducks in a row so that all they need is those MCAT scores. Good luck.
smile.gif

Thanks for the encouraging advice, Zolie and Jpc!