August MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Chronotropic

I've heard a couple people say that taking the MCAT in Aug usually doesn't fare well for the student as far as admissions go. Is this true or is it just another premed myth?

Members don't see this ad.

it's definitely not the best way to go, but i can't imagine it's an automatic kiss of death or anything like that. obviously, if you took it in april and do much better in august, it's a positive thing. yeah, it delays your application no matter whether you took it in april or not, but assuming you study your @ss off and do better (or just do well if it's the first time), i think it works out fine. in the event you don't do better...well, yeah, then it certainly isn't ideal. and then..you have schools like penn state, who ask whether you want them to wait for your august scores or not (which would be my current dilemma.....)

Well, people who took MCAT in April diffinetely have more time and options. While some of us are taking MCAT, some are getting an invitation for an interview and while some are getting submitting their AMCAS after recieving their MCAT score in October, some are getting acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by DrBravesgirl
you have schools like penn state, who ask whether you want them to wait for your august scores or not (which would be my current dilemma.....)

Actually most of the schools will wait for your August MCATs even though a person might have taken April test if an applicants indicated on the application that he/she is going to take the test. I called all my school about that and only Boston told me to write a letter to tell them to wait for my augurst scores. The others told me that my application will be placed on hold once I indicated that I was going to take the August test.

true, but just because you take the aug mcat doesn't mean you have to wait to submit amcas. i'm taking the aug mcat, and while i'm not going to have interviews and such until november at the earliest, at least i'll have all my secondaries over and done with. it isn't the easiest path, doing secondaries and studying for mcat part deux at the same time, but hey...nothing leading up to this was easy either ;)

Originally posted by Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Actually most of the schools will wait for your August MCATs even though a person might have taken April test if an applicants indicated on the application that he/she is going to take the test. I called all my school about that and only Boston told me to write a letter to tell them to wait for my augurst scores. The others told me that my application will be placed on hold once I indicated that I was going to take the August test.

maybe i'm not understanding what you're saying, but the psu secondary specifically asked if i wanted them to go ahead and begin considering my application without waiting for my august scores. none of the other apps i've filled out to this point have done that.

Originally posted by DrBravesgirl

maybe i'm not understanding what you're saying, but the psu secondary specifically asked if i wanted them to go ahead and begin considering my application without waiting for my august scores. none of the other apps i've filled out to this point have done that.

Most schools will put your application on hold once you indicated that that you are going ot retake the test

take it when you'll be best prepared for it. Its better to rock the August than do just ok on the April

August MCAT is probably nice if you're a rising Junior and you've had all of the prereq classes...less to worry about next spring when trying to balance school/amcas apps. At least I hope this is true.