August MCATers applying this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bellydancer

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, how many of you august mcateres are applying for this cycle?

I will be applying the same year I take the august MCAT, so please feel free to blow out any comments on top of your head, aboout this idea.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I took the August MCAT and will be applying this cycle...I will not know for sure how things go till I myself get through this process, but if possible applying early is a good advantage...but nevertheless hope for the best!

bellydancer said:
So, how many of you august mcateres are applying for this cycle?

I will be applying the same year I take the august MCAT, so please feel free to blow out any comments on top of your head, aboout this idea.

Thanks

Im applying this cycle too, despite all the contrarian advice ive recieved as to not apply. as a great man once said, you miss 100% of the shots you dont take.

I'm in the same boat. I think if you've handed in your primarys and are getting secondarys as an "auguster", you're right on track. Thats where I am. Most schools wont even look at your file till the scores come out, and if you have everything done but the scores, you should be in great shape. I hope to have all my secondaries in by mid-Oct. How long does it take to get secondaries after you hand in your primaries?

Members don't see this ad :)
Me as well. I got verified on the 19th of August. I received secondaries from almost all schools I have applied to (~25), except for the ones that screen, i.e. Wake Forest and Vanderbilt. I have already submitted the easy secondaries, and I am now working on the longer ones. I will make sure they are in before my scores are out. Hope it goes well for all of us August MCATers. :)

same here. applying this year...took the August MCAT, but have not pressed that primary submit button yet. will do it next week for sure. I know I am very late in the game...but we shall see. Good Luck to all of you. Hopefully, we all won't have the letters "pre" with us next year, it shall only be medical. Cheers to all. :luck: :luck:

applying this cycle as an august MCATer. I was going to take the April MCAT but did not feel ready so got a refund and went with the August MCAT. Some of the DO schools start later in interviewing and accepting so I'm glad I'm applying DO and MD. I don't think "forcing" the April MCAT would have helped my situation so no regrets so far.

Jon Davis said:
I'm in the same boat. I think if you've handed in your primarys and are getting secondarys as an "auguster", you're right on track. Thats where I am. Most schools wont even look at your file till the scores come out, and if you have everything done but the scores, you should be in great shape. I hope to have all my secondaries in by mid-Oct. How long does it take to get secondaries after you hand in your primaries?

I think it depends on schools how long it takes to get secondaries after you hand in your primaries about 2-6 weeks range..... But have you wonder how long does it take to get done with a secondary??

stoleyerscrubz said:
applying this cycle as an august MCATer. I was going to take the April MCAT but did not feel ready so got a refund and went with the August MCAT. Some of the DO schools start later in interviewing and accepting so I'm glad I'm applying DO and MD. I don't think "forcing" the April MCAT would have helped my situation so no regrets so far.

You and I are kindred spirits. I too withdrew from the April test for not feeling ready. Boy am I glad. I felt prepared and confident in the august test.

stoleyerscrubz said:
I'm applying both MD and DO this cycle, and the DO schools sent out interview invites before I even got a couple of the MD school secondaries! It seems that PCOM hasn't started interviewing yet, but my other DO schools have sent me interview invites. I've only heard from one MD school so far post-secondary.

Last year I was an August MCATer - nothing in my file has changed significantly (other than I graduated). Last year I got ZERO interview invites. This year I have four so far. What I did last year (and DO NOT DO THIS) was not have my files absolutely complete except for my scores. I waited and lolly-gagged on my secondaries. My LORs weren't sent until mid-late November. DO NOT DO WHAT I DID LAST YEAR. To have the best chance as an August MCATer, you need to push your secondaries out the door NOW. Have your LORs sent NOW. The only thing holding up your application should be your scores. I know several people who were complete the day scores came out and were offered interviews literally the next day.

If you do well on the August MCAT you'll have no worries (as long as your files are complete the day scores come out). Oh, and look up the essay questions for those schools that won't send secondaries until scores come out - if you have those ready before October, you can turn those secondaries around within one day.

Good luck y'all!!!!! :) :)

Thanks for the advice. I'm just starting on the secondaries now and AACOMAS is waiting on a transcript I resent, all of my LORs are done.

ShyRem said:
If you do well on the August MCAT you'll have no worries (as long as your files are complete the day scores come out). Oh, and look up the essay questions for those schools that won't send secondaries until scores come out - if you have those ready before October, you can turn those secondaries around within one day.

This is just a shot in the dark but, is it too late to apply to a couple American allopathic schools at this point? I've been doing some applications for Canadian schools the past week or so and most of them are due mid-October or early-November. I don't have a US visa or anything like that so I'd be appling as an international applicant. Never really thought about it until recently.

Members don't see this ad :)
SensesFail said:
This is just a shot in the dark but, is it too late to apply to a couple American allopathic schools at this point? I've been doing some applications for Canadian schools the past week or so and most of them are due mid-October or early-November. I don't have a US visa or anything like that so I'd be appling as an international applicant. Never really thought about it until recently.

Not officially, most schools deadline are Oct 15 for AMCAS applications. However, both as International applicant and being this late in the game really puts you at a disadvantage. You'd need pretty high MCAT and Stats in general and even then at this point you might only be wait-listed initially. That is sorta saying, Your great, but we filled all our slots and if ppl choose not to matriculate there your name is in the pile to be offered if a slot opens up.

Good Luck!

Does the same rule apply with premed prereq's as with the MCAT? Do the schools delay processing your application until you've completed your last class?

DPPM said:
Does the same rule apply with premed prereq's as with the MCAT? Do the schools delay processing your application until you've completed your last class?
no, but if you're offered admission, it will be contingent on completing the remaining (very small number of) prereq classes that you have left

I took the August MCAT and did receive a secondary from Medical College of Ohio. They are supposed to screen. I do have a 3.99 GPA - maybe they were taking a chance on me?????? (I'm hoping my MCAT score matches my GPA, but I'm worried it won't). Anyone Else???

Jon Davis said:

Hi Jon Davis,

it all depends when you get your secondaries.... I submitted AMCAS 8/2/05 got verified 8/22/05... received secondaries the same day hahah.... and about 2-3 came each day for about 1 week!

Good luck

ShyRem said:
I'm applying both MD and DO this cycle, and the DO schools sent out interview invites before I even got a couple of the MD school secondaries! It seems that PCOM hasn't started interviewing yet, but my other DO schools have sent me interview invites. I've only heard from one MD school so far post-secondary.

Last year I was an August MCATer - nothing in my file has changed significantly (other than I graduated). Last year I got ZERO interview invites. This year I have four so far. What I did last year (and DO NOT DO THIS) was not have my files absolutely complete except for my scores. I waited and lolly-gagged on my secondaries. My LORs weren't sent until mid-late November. DO NOT DO WHAT I DID LAST YEAR. To have the best chance as an August MCATer, you need to push your secondaries out the door NOW. Have your LORs sent NOW. The only thing holding up your application should be your scores. I know several people who were complete the day scores came out and were offered interviews literally the next day.

Good advice. I should take it. I hate filling out the AMCAS application and have been dragging my feet.

bottles999 said:
Not officially, most schools deadline are Oct 15 for AMCAS applications. However, both as International applicant and being this late in the game really puts you at a disadvantage. You'd need pretty high MCAT and Stats in general and even then at this point you might only be wait-listed initially. That is sorta saying, Your great, but we filled all our slots and if ppl choose not to matriculate there your name is in the pile to be offered if a slot opens up.

Good Luck!

I think this advice is totally misguided. I would submit that AMCAS stuff ASAP and get the secondaries in. Its not late at all. Canadians aren't "international", more out of staters (ex. GW-SOM). However, the financial aspect is what they care most about after acceptance. Make sure you can give solid answers to their finanical questions.

Jon Davis said:
I think this advice is totally misguided. I would submit that AMCAS stuff ASAP and get the secondaries in. Its not late at all. Canadians aren't "international", more out of staters (ex. GW-SOM). However, the financial aspect is what they care most about after acceptance. Make sure you can give solid answers to their finanical questions.

OK, so I'm thinkin i might be screwed.. I can send in all my individual LORS, but not the premed committee letter because they require an MCAT score. Should I send in my individual letters and be complete by the time the scores come out, or wait till scores come out and be complete around nov 5-15?

OrGoMan said:
OK, so I'm thinkin i might be screwed.. I can send in all my individual LORS, but not the premed committee letter because they require an MCAT score. Should I send in my individual letters and be complete by the time the scores come out, or wait till scores come out and be complete around nov 5-15?

Do as much as you can so that you won't be too behind... that is what I'm doing... sending out all my secondaries and letters before my MCAT scores are in... then again it is quite a gamble.......... :scared:

SensesFail said:
you are late in the game but it's not impossible. I actually did not get all my stuff in until Labor Day last year. If you can do it within the week, i'd say go for it. Just remember everyone will be getting interviews, etc before you. I know it was making me nervous when I heard pretty much nothing until almost December. But then things happened quickly and i honestly don't think it hurt much. Best of luck.

has anyone heard about schools getting mcat scores before we do? there's another post about this from someone who got an email from emory saying just that, and i heard the same from NYU.

NapeSpikes said:
Did someone from NYU actually tell you that? I'd be curious to know as well...
MEE TOO!!! you know what?? just decided to call them on Monday....

these same rumors went around last application cycle and nobody gets your scores before you are able to.

stoleyerscrubz said:
these same rumors went around last application cycle and nobody gets your scores before you are able to.

Interesting though because both NYU and Emory have told SDNers that they get them beforehand. I'd love anyone else to chime in on this topic.

ShyRem said:

This makes sense to me, but I've made a considerable effort to get these secondary questions from schools who are waiting on my Aug. MCAT score to send me a secondary and have been unable to do so. I'm assuming its fair game to share secondary essay questions on this forum since many applicants for this same entering class already have been given those questions.

Therefore, I thought it would be helpful to set up a thread with schools and others who have received secondaries could share the essay questions. I can do this or someone else may want to.

I'm personally waiting on secondaries from UCSD, UCSF, UC Davis, UCLA Geffen, and University of Washington. Does anybody want to share those essay questions?

It's true, schools actually get your scores late september. I spoke to someone whose over a post bac program and he said that he'll know my score in september.

NapeSpikes said:
Did someone from NYU actually tell you that? I'd be curious to know as well...

Yes, I went on a tour there -- a woman from the admissions office was answering questions and I asked "is there any reason, if you are taking the august mcat, to get your application in early." she said the usual stuff about how it's always safer to get it in as early as possible and then said something like "and now that the turn around time for scores is faster, we seem to be getting the scores, at least this year we did, earlier that the normal two months."

Interesting. Thanks for the info. You'd think they would just tell us our scores, too. But that would be too easy.

well, I guess we will have to see if anyone who took the August MCAT test gets offered an interview before October 20.....That should confirm this theory. :)