August MCATers Discussion Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ajt2003 said:
NYU Interview Invite Today!

It's starting to happen, people!

Wow, NYU, that's great!!

Members don't see this ad.

ajt2003 said:
NYU Interview Invite Today!

It's starting to happen, people!

Congratulation. NYU is a great school :thumbup:

dandelion said:
When you say Mizzou, do you mean UMissouri-Columbia? I got a rejection from them a long time ago because I'm a FL resident. Apparently, they only take residents of Missouri & bordering states.

I've gotten the same Mayo notices as you. Mayo has a phone interview instead of a secondary, by the way, and we should be finding out in the next couple of weeks if we will be getting one of those!

G'luck.

Yeah, I meant Missouri-Columbia.
Good luck to you too!

Members don't see this ad :)
it's friday 10/22..any news aug mcaters?

sdnstud said:

Informed of an interview invite on its way from MCO (Ohio)!! My first one yet!

I guess I can cross out MCO on my list since I applied there and did not get an interview invite. :(

Congrats lizbjrddnr. last year MCO interviewed 273 in state and accepted 233. just relax and do your best!!!

lizbjrddnr said:
Informed of an interview invite on its way from MCO (Ohio)!! My first one yet!

sdnstud said:
I guess I can cross out MCO on my list since I applied there and did not get an interview invite. :(

Congrats lizbjrddnr. last year MCO interviewed 273 in state and accepted 233. just relax and do your best!!!

I think they are just slow. I have yet to receive secondary invite from them (added them 1 month ago).

premedgeek said:
I think they are just slow. I have yet to receive secondary invite from them (added them 1 month ago).

You're right, I haven't actually gotten the invite. However, when I emailed them to check that I was complete, they responded saying that the invite had been sent and they were hoping to hear from me soon.

Sdnstud- Don't worry, don't cross out yet! Mine was just that email (almost accidentally finding out early!). Thanks for the good wishes!

Interview invite from the University of Washington today! Woooo hoooo!!!!

rejected from ucsf today. but I was also approved for a secondary from ucla. This is such a roller coaster ride.

just got approved for a UCLA secondary (my top choice). They are the only UC that made me wait until post-August scores. good luck to you guys.

really? how about ucsd?

derf said:
just got approved for a UCLA secondary (my top choice). They are the only UC that made me wait until post-August scores. good luck to you guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
sdnstud said:
really? how about ucsd?

I got a secondary from UCSD July 29. I haven't heard anything from them since. Not sure if they got our scores yet. :)

MsEvolution said:

Congrats MsEvolution!

Just curious, I remember you were an August MCATer, did u already get an invite to complete the secondary??

bonez318ti said:
Congrats MsEvolution!

Just curious, I remember you were an August MCATer, did u already get an invite to complete the secondary??

Bonez, I got the secondary invite pretty early on... I think before I even took the mcat.

MsEvolution said:

That's so awesome, MsEvolution!! Congrats!

And I see that you are a non-traditional applicant; so am I. :) I've had the great fortune of having all my family rally around my decision to apply, so the transition to medicine has been easier for me than it has been for some others.

:luck: :luck: :luck: to all.

Does any one know if the DO schools invite for interviews before the MD schools? I have 6 DO interviews over the next 3 months(i received some even before my MCAT's were sent to AACOMAS) .......but no love from the 33 MD schools I applied to. I really hope they are coming, but Im the ultimate pessimist (I have started to convince myself that they arent) It would be such a waste of money. But Im sure im not the only one who has spent too much

hoping everyone's enjoying the weekend. nice to have a break from all the worrying...

sdnstud said:

I haven't received an interview yet, but my roommate got one from MUSC, his #1 choice, yesterday. He was extremely surprised, and his interview is on Nov. 5. He retook the MCAT (and didn't do so well the 1st time around, and then went up a few points in Aug.).

i just got my first interview!! (UT-Southwestern) it's probably my first choice, too!

stay positive everyone--those invites will come, i promise.
i did miserably on the april mcat (hence the lack of invites until now) and did better in august.

i'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone else!

UT-Lilly said:
i just got my first interview!! (UT-Southwestern) it's probably my first choice, too!

i did miserably on the april mcat (hence the lack of invites until now) and did better in august.

congrats! UT SW is the best texas school. Awesome!

UT-Lilly said:

That's wonderful, congrats!!

Yes, stay positive everyone. It may help you to know that the places I've heard from still have interview spots open in Nov/Dec.

Best of luck. :luck:

MsEvolution said:
I'm a first time August MCAT taker... but I got my Stanford Secondary waaaay before the scores were released. I think I got it right about mid August.

Everyone gets 2ndaries from Stanford, they stopped screening this year.

davematthews said:
Everyone gets 2ndaries from Stanford, they stopped screening this year.

That's weird because when I emailed them last week before I got my secondary, they told me that they were waiting for my MCAT scores before sending out the app.

skiracer90 said:
That's weird because when I emailed them last week before I got my secondary, they told me that they were waiting for my MCAT scores before sending out the app.

Was that your first or second MCAT? I got my info from the horses mouth, unless the lady who gave me information was confused and/or wrong.
PM me.

I got my first interview today from University of Washington! :) August MCAT was my first MCAT. Non-URM. WWAMI resident from Idaho. Complete last week. Good luck to all.

:( haven't heard from UCLA or UCSD yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Yeah, completely in the dark again...had a moment of light...and now...nothing...

Being patient and mature sucks. :laugh:

skiracer90 said:

that's what I heard from them as well...finally got the secondary last week, but only after my MCAT scores had come in.

Any august mcaters heard from Baylor yet? How about UT-Houston?

blacklisted said:
rejected from ucsf today. but I was also approved for a secondary from ucla. This is such a roller coaster ride.

Was UCSF waiting for your August MCAT score? ie did they reject you after getting your August score? I ask because I took the MCAT the 2nd time in August, and I still haven't heard anything (expecting a rejection with my mighty 23Q). I got a secondary from them early on (I think in July), but someone posted that they'll calculate your "expected" MCAT score based on your GPA, which I'm sure was WAY higher than my actual score, and they'll use that to gauge whether or not you get a secondary. Anyway, I'm tired of having my hopes up. It just doesn't seem realistic that they're looking at my app.

probably not what you want to hear, but I got the old thin envelope from UCSF yesterrday :mad:

37Q, 3.9+ GPA with a PhD...so i was thinking. :confused:

(okay, i have been expecting that one. I'm neither a cali residence or a US citizen/PR. I think they have accepted like one foreign student in the last 6 years. was worth a shot at my dream school though :)) :rolleyes:

sweatybrain said:
probably not what you want to hear, but I got the old thin envelope from UCSF yesterrday :mad:

37Q, 3.9+ GPA with a PhD...so i was thinking...WTF

(okay, i have been expecting that one. I'm neither a cali residence or a US citizen/PR. I think they have accepted like one foreign students in the last 6 years. was worth a shot at my dream school though :)) :rolleyes:

To tell you the truth, I'm looking forward to rejections. I know my chances are nill with my MCAT score, so I hate when I let myself think "well maybe . . ." just because I haven't gotten a rejection yet. I'll assume I'm due to get my "old thin envelope" soon then! :laugh: Thanks for the update. Do you mind if I ask, did you get a secondary?

nope. no secondary here. They said my academic qualification and MCAT scores weren't up to par.

:rolleyes:

sweatybrain said:
nope. no secondary here. They said my academic qualification and MCAT scores weren't up to par.

:rolleyes:

Your 37Q, 3.9, Ph.D weren't "up to par?!" :eek: What the hell is par, then?!! Well now that I think about it, you didn't mention that you brought on world peace, stopped world hunger, and was recently sainted. So, really, what can you expect! :laugh: :laugh: That really sucks that they didn't even give you a chance. And then to give you that lame explanation! It's insult over injury. Well, I wish you the best in your other applications. Take care.

Hey, everyone:

I'm an Aug-MCATer (re-taker but with low first scores). All I've received thus far is a "your file is now complete" email from AECOM. Nothing else. I hope to get interviews at the two state schools to which I applied (Downstate and SB) soon!

Any NYC people hear yet??

BH

Regarding the UCSF secondary: I got one last week (finally, after 8 weeks of waiting!), and my stats are nowhere near sweatybrain's: 32P MCAT and 3.75 GPA. I am also out-of-state, although I am a US citizen. I don't know if I got the secondary because of my new MCAT score (I retook this Aug, going up from a 29Q), I kind of doubt I would have received one based on my old score though. Anyway, apparently you don't have to have 40+/4.0 to get a secondary from them, even as a non-resident (although I'm sure it helps). Good luck!

Mistress S said:
Regarding the UCSF secondary: I got one last week (finally, after 8 weeks of waiting!), and my stats are nowhere near sweatybrain's: 32P MCAT and 3.75 GPA. I am also out-of-state, although I am a US citizen. I don't know if I got the secondary because of my new MCAT score (I retook this Aug, going up from a 29Q), I kind of doubt I would have received one based on my old score though. Anyway, apparently you don't have to have 40+/4.0 to get a secondary from them, even as a non-resident (although I'm sure it helps). Good luck!
Congrats on the improvement, and the secondary too! Must say I hate your quote though . . . but let's not sidetrack the thread. =)

peetie said:
Congrats on the improvement, and the secondary too! Must say I hate your quote though . . . but let's not sidetrack the thread. =)

And I think your quote kicks *ss. but, yes, let's not go there. :laugh:

Khenon said:
Was UCSF waiting for your August MCAT score? ie did they reject you after getting your August score? I ask because I took the MCAT the 2nd time in August, and I still haven't heard anything (expecting a rejection with my mighty 23Q). I got a secondary from them early on (I think in July), but someone posted that they'll calculate your "expected" MCAT score based on your GPA, which I'm sure was WAY higher than my actual score, and they'll use that to gauge whether or not you get a secondary. Anyway, I'm tired of having my hopes up. It just doesn't seem realistic that they're looking at my app.

I was a first time MCAT taker. I'm pretty sure they were waiting for my scores--but the letter came on Friday, so they weren't wasting any time. The letter is very kind, I must say. Easier said than done, but I think it's important not to read too much into these rejections. It's like having someone break up with you before you even go on a date. What can you do but move on and assume it's for the best?

Is anyone else just not hearing anything recently?

I guess I shouldn't complain, because I have heard from the school that will probably be my first choice if I get more than one acceptance (just waiting for my interview), but still.

I've heard from two schools so far...one of which I've heard nothing from since I got my secondary in September.

Shouldn't I at the very least be getting some rejection letters by now? I sent in my AMCAS in August, and it's been what, 2 weeks since we got our scores? :sleep:

Sorry 'bout the complaining...hope everyone's admissions process is going FABULOUSLY well! :D

Bunsen Honeydew said:
Hey, everyone:

I'm an Aug-MCATer (re-taker but with low first scores). All I've received thus far is a "your file is now complete" email from AECOM. Nothing else. I hope to get interviews at the two state schools to which I applied (Downstate and SB) soon!

Any NYC people hear yet??

BH

When did you get the email. I got the complete email from Einstein thursday, i sent in my secondary in july and my recommendations were all there in mid september. i'm hoping i will be one of the 1st round of august takers to get an interview especially since i did the SURP program at einstein this summer. good luck

dalynn said:
Is anyone else just not hearing anything recently?

I guess I shouldn't complain, because I have heard from the school that will probably be my first choice if I get more than one acceptance (just waiting for my interview), but still.

I've heard from two schools so far...one of which I've heard nothing from since I got my secondary in September.

Shouldn't I at the very least be getting some rejection letters by now? I sent in my AMCAS in August, and it's been what, 2 weeks since we got our scores? :sleep:

Sorry 'bout the complaining...hope everyone's admissions process is going FABULOUSLY well! :D

Adding to the list I got Suny Upstate (syracuse) today at 2 pm...first interview, yay :)

doctor5 said:
Adding to the list I got Suny Upstate (syracuse) today at 2 pm...first interview, yay :)

congrat dr5 for the interview (and ms for the ucsf secondary...i truly envy you :))

Other than an email from NYU saying my application is complete, I haven't heard anything. I keep expecting a rejection at least. UCSF has not sent me a secondary or rejected me. I'm expecting a rejection soon considering my MCAT was only a 28 and I'm out-of-state.

AthensBeth said:
Other than an email from NYU saying my application is complete, I haven't heard anything. I keep expecting a rejection at least. UCSF has not sent me a secondary or rejected me. I'm expecting a rejection soon considering my MCAT was only a 28 and I'm out-of-state.

I got the thin letter from UCSF yesterday rejecting me pre-secondary. I'm out of state too with a slightly higher MCAT.

Are you from NY? I never heard anything from NYU.... :confused:

I received this friendly email from NYU yesterday, a week after my LORs were sent:

"This will inform you that we have received all forms and credentials required to complete your application. The Committee on Admissions will notify you as soon as any final action is taken."

I don't know. Maybe it's because I went there for undergrad. Or maybe it means absolutely nothing, and they just sent it because my LORs arrived.

I thought you might be from GA with Athens in your name! Hmm weird no I never received anything from them and haven't been invited to fill out a secondary or anything. I am thinking that's not a good sign :(