August MCATers Discussion Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wouldn't sweat it. They will probably send out you secondary after seeing your MCAT score. I think I only got my secondary before the MCAT release because of alumni status and good grades.

Members don't see this ad.

Bunsen Honeydew said:
Hey, everyone:

I'm an Aug-MCATer (re-taker but with low first scores). All I've received thus far is a "your file is now complete" email from AECOM. Nothing else. I hope to get interviews at the two state schools to which I applied (Downstate and SB) soon!

Any NYC people hear yet??

BH

I'm also waiting for downstate and SB since sept...why? because i'm from nyc?!

got an interview at TAMU today! it's for Nov 18th. will anyone else be there?

Members don't see this ad :)
AthensBeth said:
I wouldn't sweat it. They will probably send out you secondary after seeing your MCAT score. I think I only got my secondary before the MCAT release because of alumni status and good grades.

man I sure hope so! I haven't heard a peep! :(

if you fall in my category, please have a beer on me:
1. good mcat result in august
2. spent time on secondaries, got them done in reasonable time, most before mcat score came back and last one finished yesterday
3. just now starting to get 'file complete' emails meaning you're not gettin ish in terms of interviews till next year!

=) wha hoo!
beer time,
-a

Hi, everyone --

I'm a retaker (27Q in April with a 7 in VR) and 25Q in August (my sciences went down in August :-( and my VR went up)....

Just got my first interview invite from BU....Anybody else heard from or interviewed at BU?

I'm getting nervous.....interviewing there hopefully on the 8th. I gave Nov. 1st as my second choice, but that is way too soon!

Good luck to all of you August MCATers!

Karin

shawty ya'head said:
2. spent time on secondaries, got them done in reasonable time, most before mcat score came back and last one finished yesterday
3. just now starting to get 'file complete' emails meaning you're not gettin ish in terms of interviews till next year!

=) wha hoo!
beer time,
-a

*toasts with a good pilsner* :D

congrats kc123. boston is a great school. i wish i could go there for an interview.

i got ucsd secondary today. for those of you who are still waiting for uc secondaries, i advise you to call them. i got both my ucd and ucsd secondaries because i called and bothered them. the ucs seem to let aug mcater sit around and wait for the primary screen. you need to call them and demand that your application go through the primary screen NOW!!!! :p

shawty ya'head said:

=) wha hoo!
beer time,
-a

I'm in pretty much the exact same boat as you--only I still have 4 secondaries to complete (14 done so far). I'm really impatient this week, I knew it would take a couple of weeks after scores were released for schools to download and review them, but now people are starting to get interviews. I check my e-mail at least a dozen times a day. I hope all this hard work and $$ hasn't been for nothing, if I don't get interviews it really doesn't matter how well I did on the MCAT or what my GPA is (not that they're so impressive, but good enough that I was hoping to hear something sooner rather than later). :confused:

sdnstud said:
congrats kc123. boston is a great school. i wish i could go there for an interview.

i got ucsd secondary today. for those of you who are still waiting for uc secondaries, i advise you to call them. i got both my ucd and ucsd secondaries because i called and bothered them. the ucs seem to let aug mcater sit around and wait for the primary screen. you need to call them and demand that your application go through the primary screen NOW!!!! :p

Thank you, sdnstud. Right now, I am freaking out b/c I requested Nov. 8th for an interview date, and they gave me Nov. 1st (Monday)! And I haven't been feeling well the last couple of days! So little lead time......Well, I will put my best foot forward, and see what happens. Anyone else interview at BU and have any pointers?

Good luck to everybody! There is hope. I never thought I'd get an interview. :)

Karin

I got my NYU secondary today after adding them to my AMCAS list last week (surprsingly fast on their part!). I also got a "your app is complete" message from Stony Brook. I got the same from AECOM this past Friday.

But, no interview invites yet....keeping my fingers crossed. Congrats to eveyone who's getting interviews. Pls. keep us posted!!

BH

Just got my first rejection today. :( I was surprised by how much it bothered me, it was a school I was interested in (obviously) but not at the top of my list or anything. I know it's part of the process but it would be a lot easier to take if I had an acceptance or at least an interview already. I'm starting to feel kind of down about the whole thing. I was relieved about my MCAT score, and ever since then I've been obsessively checking my mail and e-mail, hoping to hear from schools--and this is the first definitive thing I hear, which doesn't seem to bode well. This week has just been a bad week for me, I was really hoping to get an interview by the end of the month so I wouldn't be too behind even with the Aug MCAT, but it's not looking like that's going to happen. Hopefully next week will be better.

(FINALLY) joining the interview list! Just got cleveland clinic today. CCLCM is definitely among my top five. :D

I didn't keep track of the exact date:

AMCAS in June
Secondary in Aug.
LORs in Sept.
1st time MCAT taker (aug.)

This took a little sting out of my UCSF rejection...

Members don't see this ad :)
no updates, aug mcaters??
come on...someone has to have gotten an interview within the last day or so!

good luck, everyone

Yeah, no, not so much...the crickets are a' chirpin'. Not so much fun. Oh wait. I'm now - FINALLY - complete at Hopkins. Grrrrreeeeeeeeaaaaat. Other than that, nope. nada. zip. ziltch. Although, in speaking with friends and from my one interview invite, it seems that most schools email out either early morning or very late afternoon...so, perhaps someone will have news later today!

But, then again, it's Friday. Ugh. No one does any "real" work on Friday. :laugh: Including me, apparently... :rolleyes:

ajt2003 said:
Yeah, no, not so much...the crickets are a' chirpin'. Not so much fun. Oh wait. I'm now - FINALLY - complete at Hopkins. Grrrrreeeeeeeeaaaaat. Other than that, nope. nada. zip. ziltch. Although, in speaking with friends and from my one interview invite, it seems that most schools email out either early morning or very late afternoon...so, perhaps someone will have news later today!

But, then again, it's Friday. Ugh. No one does any "real" work on Friday. :laugh: Including me, apparently... :rolleyes:

Regarding your hopkin application, are we expected to answer the question regarding "any particular area of medicine that interests you?" in detail? I am not interested in any particular specialty right now, and I was wondering if I should leave it blank.

nothing for me. but i did write to the admissions offices at several schools and found out some useful information.

Albany Medical College: This is an interesting case. I recall one of the aug mcater on sdn getting an interview at albany med recently. but when I wrote to this school, I got a reply that says albany downloaded the mcat scores this week and that the files for aug mcaters won't be viewed until the week of Nov 1. The bottom line for this school is that Aug Mcaters will hear "around Nov. 19th" if an interview is granted (after the first look that is).

Vermont: This school just downloaded the August MCAT scores two to three days ago. The admissions office didn't seem very patient so I was unable to get more information.

Penn State: Same as Vermont.

I also wrote to 5 other schools...i will keep you guys updated when I receive replies from them.

sdnstud said:
nothing for me. but i did write to the admissions offices at several schools and found out some useful information.

Albany Medical College: This is an interesting case. I recall one of the aug mcater on sdn getting an interview at albany med recently. but when I wrote to this school, I got a reply that says albany downloaded the mcat scores this week and that the files for aug mcaters won't be viewed until the week of Nov 1. The bottom line for this school is that Aug Mcaters will hear "around Nov. 19th" if an interview is granted (after the first look that is).

Vermont: This school just downloaded the August MCAT scores two to three days ago. The admissions office didn't seem very patient so I was unable to get more information.

I also wrote to 5 other schools...i will keep you guys updated when I receive replies from them.

Regarding Vermont: I got rejected before my mcat scores came out (they didn't know I was taking mcat). They are reviewing my file again. They told me that they will get back to me in two weeks (this was last thursday, so one more week). Hopefully, we will all here from them in a week.

Regarding Albany: What's up with "August MCAT received = No" on their status page? Or is it just me? My file is ready for committee review nonetheless. :confused:

On the 25th, I received an interview invitation from Pittsburgh. I also got an invite from UTSW-Dallas, but was flat out rejected from UCSF (I'm a CA resident).

Hum....you should call the office to find out what sup. My status page shows "August MCAT received =Yes" since this monday

premedgeek said:
Regarding Albany: What's up with "August MCAT received = No" on their status page? Or is it just me? My file is ready for committee review nonetheless. :confused:

sdnstud said:
Hum....you should call the office to find out what sup. My status page shows "August MCAT received =Yes" since this monday

Did you check it recently? I could've sworn that it said "August MCAT received=YES" on wednesday, but it changed back to "no" next? I am definitely going to call them on monday.

Edit: called albany, they do have my august scores. I don't know why they can't have one database for online status check and phone status check.

premedgeek said:
Did you check it recently? I could've sworn that it said "August MCAT received=YES" on wednesday, but it changed back to "no" next? I am definitely going to call them on monday.

Edit: called albany, they do have my august scores. I don't know why they can't have one database for online status check and phone status check.

On my Albany status page, it showed up as August MCAT scores received the middle of last week, but took quite awhile for it to show up as "Application Complete" even though there was a "Yes" next to everything. It was this past Monday (10/25) that it showed up as "Application Complete."

sdnstud said:

I received an email from penn state today telling me my application is complete. Vermont emailed me on Oct. 23 to tell me my app is complete. I've only heard about application completion from about a quarter of my schools though. I submitted AMCAS end of June and had all my secondaries finished by mid September. I sent a few emails to some schools asking for verification of my complete application, and most of them ignored me =). Looks like I'll have to start picking up the phone soon...

Oh yes. I am a first time August MCAT-er as well.

I'm also an August MCAT'er. I haven't heard from anyone yet. I'm worried....oh, and i still have to send in some more secondaries.

uclakid said:
I'm also an August MCAT'er. I haven't heard from anyone yet. I'm worried....oh, and i still have to send in some more secondaries.

Stay positive! There's still plenty of time...unless you're from Texas. Most schools interview all the way through the spring. My sister's an MS3 at KU and didn't interview until VERY late spring. I'd definately get moving on those straggling secondaries, but stay positive. This whole process is completely unpredictable--you never know when you'll get an interview.

good luck and enjoy the weekend!

I'm a first time MCAT-er, just placed on the alternate list at Southern Illinois University (pre-secondary)... which was NOT supposed to be a reach school for me. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come....

UMiami(out-of-state), placed on Ranked List (Oct 27)

sweatybrain said:
got a Duke interview invite this morning :D

Congrats, sweatybrain! That's awesome!!! :)

ajt:

dude, i just realize that we work at the same place!!!

Awesome...good luck with the interview sweatybrain.

I received a secondary from ucla late friday afternoon.

sweatybrain said:

Penn State email saying my file is complete. Nothing today :(

sweatybrain said:

Hey, congrats, sweaty!!!

Got a St. Louis U invite last week; I'm about to post it on our interview thread. Someone pointed out that St. Louis Univ Medical School spells out SLUMS . . !!

Haven't heard anything for about a week, but I'm grateful for what I have.

Here's to hearing more good news this week. :luck: :luck: :luck: everyone.

No interviews yet but no rejections either. Today I got a secondary from University of Hawaii and University of Tennessee. Both screen out-of-state residents, so that boosted my confidence a bit (I'm from Georgia).

Just got an invite from New York Medical College, which is great. It's not my first choice at all, but I hope there are more invites coming. I really want to get invites to the state school I applied to -- SUNY Stony Brook and Downstate.

Congrats to everyone with interviews, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more notices for all of us!

BH

Just got Rush today (in-state)...yay

I finally got a secondary, since the August scores posted! :D I was starting to think they had all lost my application. I'm so relieved. I'm hoping now in the next couple of weeks I'll get responses from the rest of my schools (I have 7 left now - waiting for secondaries or rejections). One of my LOR's finally sent his letters to 3 of my schools that I previously had gotten secondaries (back in September), so those will finally be complete too. I really hope this means the ball will get rolling. I want to at least get my secondaries all done. Anyone know the latest they request secondaries?

Today I heard...nothing. So much for JDAD and the whole, "this week is gonna be great" thread. :rolleyes: I guess it is only Monday, but I'm just going to try to crush any hope for the week now so I'm not disappointed on Friday. And I'll be all the more pleasantly surprised if I do hear anything.

Mistress S said:
Today I heard...nothing. So much for JDAD and the whole, "this week is gonna be great" thread. :rolleyes: I guess it is only Monday, but I'm just going to try to crush any hope for the week now so I'm not disappointed on Friday. And I'll be all the more pleasantly surprised if I do hear anything.

i did hear something-a big fat you've gotta be kidding letter o rejection from vandy. ah well. i'm gonna try for some of jdad's upbeat things are going to rock this week enthusiasm.

Mistress S said:

i second that - so far i just have one interview - at NYMC. waiting, waiting, waiting.... luckily i have some knitting and, oh yeah, work, to keep me busy!

They finally got it!

I got a couple of interviews (UTH and UTMB), I only took the August MCAT so they must have the scores by now.

Good Luck

UT-Lilly said:
if anyone's heard any news from texas schools, please update! if you've recently gotten an interview, do you know if it was based on your new scores (or was it possibly based on your first scores)?

i hate waiting

sinephera said:
They finally got it!

I got a couple of interviews (UTH and UTMB), I only took the August MCAT so they must have the scores by now.

Good Luck

thanks for the update. they've had the aug scores for a while now. i'm waiting on just a couple of stragglers as of now (texas schools) but hope to hear from them soon (tech and san antonio--weird that i'm hearing from them last?)