August MCATers working on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whateva07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the test in August, should I still turn in my application in this summer? ....and when is a god time to turn it for an august mcater?

Members don't see this ad.

also what about secondaries????

i sent my amcas in mid june, then focused only on the mcat until august. Do the secondaries during that six to eight week period between your test and the time that your scores come out. Thats what i did and i got plenty of interviews. Most schools wont even look at your app until your scores come out anyway. Dont underestimate how long some schools take to verify your app and receive your lor's though. Once you finish your test, or even before, start pushing those lor's out, if the school requests them. I know a couple schools took like a month to verify my lor's after they received them. If you already have a mcat score, you might want to approach things differently depending on what your score was the first time .i.e. if its decent you might want to send in some secondaries just to see if they'll offer an interview regardless of your august score. I didnt have a score from a previous test, so thats how i approached the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
sanche60 said:
i sent my amcas in mid june, then focused only on the mcat until august. Do the secondaries during that six to eight week period between your test and the time that your scores come out. Thats what i did and i got plenty of interviews. Most schools wont even look at your app until your scores come out anyway. Dont underestimate how long some schools take to verify your app and receive your lor's though. Once you finish your test, or even before, start pushing those lor's out, if the school requests them. I know a couple schools took like a month to verify my lor's after they received them. If you already have a mcat score, you might want to approach things differently depending on what your score was the first time .i.e. if its decent you might want to send in some secondaries just to see if they'll offer an interview regardless of your august score. I didnt have a score from a previous test, so thats how i approached the process.

How were your stats? I asked someone and they told me to turn in secondaries as soon as possible and not wait til after mcat is over to start. If you had pretty hot stats then perhaps you would be fine, but if i end up with mediocre or below avg stats then perhaps turning in the secondaries early could affect my application significantly.

...anyone else with their input, greatly appreciated to hear from others.

bumpety bump.

I'm a previous August MCATer. I got AMCAS in in June, before the big August crunch.

Turn around any really simple secondaries as you get them (the ones that basically just require a credit card #). Ones that are big essay ones, try to put off, unless they have deadlines, you can't ignore those. Otherwise, just do what you can as you can, you can't be studying all the time. You might get one or two really easy ones in at least.

But as a rule, try not to delay something if you could do it easilly enough.

-so classes I'm enrolled in I should also include on amcas?

-so the trancscript I only need to send into AMCAS people not the schools correct? should I send in my transcript anyways even though I have yet to finish my application?

-for the activities, how much should I be writing? should it be concise or very detailed? I was trying to do bullets but it doesnt come out right

Any input would be great.

sanche60 said:
So if I took the April MCAT with a decent score (29) and am retaking it, you think anyone would even look at my app before getting my August scores? I heard they only look at your application once its complete so they only have to look at it once and only once. I thought about trying to get 2ndarys in early but doubt anyone will still look at my app until they have an August score...atleast thats what Georgetown told me...

BILAL said:
So if I took the April MCAT with a decent score (29) and am retaking it, you think anyone would even look at my app before getting my August scores? I heard they only look at your application once its complete so they only have to look at it once and only once. I thought about trying to get 2ndarys in early but doubt anyone will still look at my app until they have an August score...atleast thats what Georgetown told me...

From my experience it seemed to be in line with what georgetown told you, but i have read of people getting interviews while still waiting on august scores if they have a previous score. Most schools probably will wait until your august scores come out to act on your app but there may be a few that would offer an interview. Call your in-state schools, a 29(far from a bad score) probably would be competitive enough, if you have residency, to offer an interview. I guess im saying it depends on the school, so dont take my advice as all-encompassing for every situation. Call the schools if you have the time, thats your best bet.

EDIT: make sure you tell them that you have a previous score when you call so they dont give you the generic "august mcaters aren't eligible for review at this time"

if you arent sure you are going to retake it, then just mark no on the AMCAS. Then go ahead and retake it anyways. So if your scores are competitve, you'll get the application reviewed, and when you get your scores back you can just update them on it.

Wildstang said:
if you arent sure you are going to retake it, then just mark no on the AMCAS. Then go ahead and retake it anyways. So if your scores are competitve, you'll get the application reviewed, and when you get your scores back you can just update them on it.

Exactly. I had a 29 from April. I didn't check the box and I'm retaking in August. Just update the schools in October.

gapotts2003 said:
Exactly. I had a 29 from April. I didn't check the box and I'm retaking in August. Just update the schools in October.

you dont think schools would find it fishy that you marked not retaking, then retook and told them in october, do you? cause im thinking of doing the same thing, except im not sure if i want to retake it yet

Wildstang said:
you dont think schools would find it fishy that you marked not retaking, then retook and told them in october, do you? cause im thinking of doing the same thing, except im not sure if i want to retake it yet

How is it fishy? I'll be getting recommendations and interview offers based on my first MCAT score. I applied first and then registered after that. It says to only check the box if you are absolutely sure you are going to retake the MCAT.

gapotts2003 said:

Wouldnt the schools reject you outright if your 29 is not good enough for an interview ?. Considering you have marked that you will NOT be taking the August mcat, there is nothing more to wait for.

I'm taking the August but submitting AMCAS tonight.
I'll do whatever secondaries I can ASAP. Reason: in previous years people on this forum have said that the week their MCAT scores came in they got a flood of interviews. This was at least you can be the first interviewees of the August MCATers.

on my amcas I am including courses that I am enrolled in next semester, but what about spring semester courses. Should I also include those?

here is my status: not turned in amcas and taking aug mcat.

Should I ask my school to submit my LOR once i get in amcas, or do they not even look at it until my score?

I'm taking the August MCAT (first time) and I haven't submitted AMCAS yet. I have all my LOR done, but my school's LOR service won't send them out til after I get secondaries (no big deal). Should I have transcripts sent now and then send AMCAS asap? Will they accpet my application for now even with no MCAT score? Any help would be appreciated.

whateva07 said:
here is my status: not turned in amcas and taking aug mcat.

Should I ask my school to submit my LOR once i get in amcas, or do they not even look at it until my score?

I have all my LOR being sent through a service my university has. They won't send them until I get secondaries.