Australia - post graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bullettime

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of the prospects of int'l graduates from universities in Australia finding employment there (ie work visa status). What about PR status? Are vets in any demand in Australia? Is it something that could work towards help receiving any points?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know a lot about it because I am an Australian citizen myself. But I think quite a few graduates do stay here. The pay is very low though, so not great if you are going to have massive loans to pay off. It is advantageous points wise if you are under 30 years old I think, and also (and I have no idea why) if you are married!

holly, could you please explain further as per what low pay would equivilate to? I mean we won't start getting paid a lot straight out of grad, and want to gage what salaries would be like here, compared to Aus.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Average starting salary is $37,000 Australian, which is about $29600 US.....

and then even with years in the profession it never goes that high. Apparently the average salary for a practice OWNER is US$44,000 for a woman and US$60,000 for a man...........

plus new vet schools keep opening so this could get even worse...

there is JCU, charles sturt and rumor in my school is that a uni in south australia will also have a vet school

add this 3 to the current 4

Holly, i think vets here would get paid similarly, maybe a bit more right out of grad. Don't think we can expect something stellar straight after. I would like to go to an accredited school, just so that i have the option of being able to go home. Though if Australia does catch my fancy, then i wouldn't mind staying (if i can, and it's financially possible).

It is actually quite difficult to get a working visa for Australia.:( NZ not so hard.:)

Are you in NZ right now? Do you think one would stand a good chance if they have a degree from a school in Australia and then apply for work in NZ (not being an Aus or NZ citizen or PR)?

Thanks

Are you in NZ right now? Do you think one would stand a good chance if they have a degree from a school in Australia and then apply for work in NZ (not being an Aus or NZ citizen or PR)?

Thanks
No I am not. I graduated at Western a week or so ago. I just know this because of other collegues who have tried. NZ is in need of veterinarians so it is not hard to get a working visa if you are one.

Congrats on your graduation, Chris!!

there is JCU, charles sturt and rumor in my school is that a uni in south australia will also have a vet school

add this 3 to the current 4

Charles Sturt takers local students only though, not sure about JCU. There could be a school opening in Adelaide in the next few years....

Also congrats to Chris, top work! :thumbup: