Australian customs info?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

treesap

7+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello...I am leaving for Australia (from the US) and I am trying to figure out the deal with customs. I have been told that you must pay a hefty import tax on your computer if it is less than a year old, but I can't find specifics of that anywhere (is it just computers...what about other electronics?). I found an Australian website that is pretty thorough with what fruits/vegies/animal products you can bring in, but it doesn't say much about electronics. It says you can bring in "A$400 worth of goods not including alcohol or tobacco"...can I take more if I declare it? Anyone have any experiences or hints about customs? I really don't want to get to Sydney and find out there are more expenses than I bargained for.

Thanks. Any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Besides your laptop, what and why do you bring them? Where are you going? Adelaide or Sydney?

Not sure where I read this or was told this, but I was also under the impression that computers (and perhaps other electronics) are subject to a 24% import tax if they are less than 1 year old. I DO KNOW that a classmate of mine (also American) was asked to proof of purchase and certify that his computer was over 1 year old and that he intended to use it for personal reasons and would be taking it out of the country with him when he left (ie, wouldn't be selling it).

I imagine the Oz Customs office and/or Embassy would be the best source of information about this matter.