Australian Dental Grad trying to work in the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zaxon21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a Canadian citizen who is finishing my last year of a 5 year dental program at Griffith University in Australia. My plans are to go back to Canada and work there for a few years. The average income is slightly higher then some parts of Canada and Australia and that is what got me to entertain the idea. I also travel often to the states and wouldn't mind living there. I am unsure of the process or if I can even do it. I am aware of the green cards but my main concern is if the US dental governing body (ADA) would recognize my education like Canada does. Canada and Australia have the reciprocal agreement that was set a few years back and Im not sure that Australia and US have one. I know that Canadians can practice in the us once they graduate from Canadian schools after passing boards ( which I will do before working in Canada). I would appreciate an answer if any dentist have or know of anyone who have gone through this.

Much thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

There's no reciprocity agreement between Australia and USA. You must do a 2 year advanced standing program in USA to get your license even though you'll get your Canadian license through Aus-Can reciprocity. I looked into this when i got into Australian schools and decided to stay in the states instead.