Australian graduate after 2003

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

usbhsb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I too am from the UK and am currently in California

To answer your questions.

1) I think you qualify for the FPGEE after your 4 year Uni and 1 year pre-reg hence the 5 years."

is that just ur random thought or u actully confirmed this? cuz I'm in my second year pharm in Australia.. and I would really want to practice in States after.. cuz all my family are in States... in Aussie.. we have 4 years and 1 year pre-reg.. .. so. I would be classified as foreign graduates after 2001.. plz reply as soon as possible

Members don't see this ad.

hey just wondering, have you found out anything about qualifying for the FPGEE? im a pharmacy student in New Zealand so its the same program, 4 year degree + 1 year pre-reg, I contacted the FPGEe people and they havent been very helpful...

yes.. I did.. we don't qualify for it.... my exams are coming and it's getting really really intense.. I guess I'll talk to u after exams.. >_<

really? did the NABP people confirm this? I've been emailing them and they said to write a fax or letter if I wanted specific information about NZ universities, so I'll do that soon; I reckon we should be able to qualify even if it means doing one year of study in the US or something to make up the 5 years...hopefully thats the case.
well reply whenever u can, good luck 4 ur exams! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
yes.. I'm been consistanly calling the pharmacy board of California for last month :) .. like 10 times in total... we ARE NOT qualify for it.. plus.. I have US greencard and I'm a Canadian citizen.. the only way is to take another 2.5years of pharmacy school which offers foreign graduate with a pharmacy degree.. btw.. with Canadian pharmacy license.. you CAN'T practise in USA.. but we can definitely practice in Canada after..but u might practice in some state in USA..(you have to contact individual state board of pharmacy) that's what they told me after they heard that I have US greencard... but in Cali.. there's no way in the hell they let u practice it... Cali is what I'm aiming cuz my parents live there.. haha.. btw.. what year are you in?

so with a BPharm can u register in Canada straight away? As in u can just sit an exam without having to do any further years of study there? and with the 2.5 year program in the USA I only know of a few universities that offer it, but to get admission into 1 of these programs do u have to be registered in your home country before u can apply? or just have a pharmacy degree?

Last edited:
yes.. I'm been consistanly calling the pharmacy board of California for last month :) .. like 10 times in total... we ARE NOT qualify for it.. plus.. I have US greencard and I'm a Canadian citizen.. the only way is to take another 2.5years of pharmacy school which offers foreign graduate with a pharmacy degree.. btw.. with Canadian pharmacy license.. you CAN'T practise in USA.. but we can definitely practice in Canada after..but u might practice in some state in USA..(you have to contact individual state board of pharmacy) that's what they told me after they heard that I have US greencard... but in Cali.. there's no way in the hell they let u practice it... Cali is what I'm aiming cuz my parents live there.. haha.. btw.. what year are you in?

I'll relieve a bit of your stress. No one will answer the phone at the State Board of Pharmacy in California. There is no one there. Everything is done online....so you have to send them an online request.

But...everything is pretty clear on their website...

depends on where you want to practice in Canada... if u want to work in Ontario.. Toronto.. that's where I'm from.. you have to take a 3 month course offered to foreign graduates.. and take the license test..Vancouvar is harder to get ur license.. but I think you need to be a Canadian citizen or PR.. but anyways.. US is what we are all aiming for... btw.. how much does pharmacist make in Newzealand? what's wrong with Newzealand? I know that in Aussie.. pharmacist don't make as much as in Canada..they told me pharmacist in Aussie start off at like 30 dollar per hour.. but in Canada.. at least 40 bucks per hour and living cost and stuff are cheaper in Canada.. but Canada can't beat the whether here.. haha:laugh: :laugh:

Hi I'm an Aussie grad from 03 and currently studying in a US International (2.5yr) PharmD program. If any of the previous posters are still around, perhaps I can answer some of your questions...

hey im so glad i saw your message! so what university are you studying at? and did u finish your internship before u went to the states or did u go straight after graduating?

I'm at Nova Southeastern University. I did my pre-reg before I came here. I don't think it's required for admission to the program though. Still, pre-reg is good because it consolidates everything you have learnt in school, and you'll be a pharmacist afterwards of course.

oh ok..is it true that the non-traditional program at Nova is being phased out? and when you were deciding what university to go to, what other options did you have? because i've only come across 2 colleges that offer the non traditional program to international students?

Have a look at this AACP website which lists schools for non-US pharmacy graduates: http://www.aacp.org/site/page.asp?TRACKID=&VID=1&CID=251&DID=3299

There may be more not listed there, such as Western University of Health Sciences in Pomona, CA.

From my own investigations, the University of Florida program has only 5 places, and you are meant to return to your native country after completion.

oh yeah one more thing, how many places were available when you applied for nova? is it quite competitive to get in?

Hi

I am an Australian pharmacist graduated from old degree back in 1993. I too, have tried to get registered in CA for two years. I am interested to study in Nova Southeeastern University as it seems to be the only university to have decent programm for foreign pharmacist. How do you find the programm? What is the cost of living in Florida like? I have been told that once you graduate from US pharmacy course, you are considered as US graduate so I do not understand why one is expected to returned to their country of origin. I have been affected a lot due to the difficulty of registering in US as I had to returned to Australia leaving my family members in US.

Have a look at this AACP website which lists schools for non-US pharmacy graduates: http://www.aacp.org/site/page.asp?TRACKID=&VID=1&CID=251&DID=3299

There may be more not listed there, such as Western University of Health Sciences in Pomona, CA.

From my own investigations, the University of Florida program has only 5 places, and you are meant to return to your native country after completion.

Hi

I am an Australian pharmacist graduated from old degree back in 1993. I too, have tried to get registered in CA for two years. I am interested to study in Nova Southeeastern University as it seems to be the only university to have decent programm for foreign pharmacist. How do you find the programm? What is the cost of living in Florida like? I have been told that once you graduate from US pharmacy course, you are considered as US graduate so I do not understand why one is expected to returned to their country of origin. I have been affected a lot due to the difficulty of registering in US as I had to returned to Australia leaving my family members in US.

To cindyk117:
Do you have a 3-yr or 4-yr pharmacy degree? I think graduates from a 4-yr pharmacy degree before 1/1/2003 may take the FPGEE, do an internship, then take the NAPLEX to become a licensed pharmacist without going back to university.

Otherwise, NSU has a pretty good program. The lecture portion is accelerated and done in 3 semesters, so it is quite intense. This is followed by 2 semesters of 'rotations' where you go out to hospitals and pharmacies. The total is 2.5 yrs and graduates are eligible to take the NAPLEX and get licensed.

Renting an apartment in the Fort Lauderdale area will cost about $600+/mo per person when you share with room mate(s). You will need a car, at least to drive to rotations, unless you want to spend 1+ hrs on the bus each way. There is a 4hr per week rotation that starts right from the 1st semester.

On top of NSU's tuition, you must have health insurance. The default insurance they provide costs $1,500/yr. You may opt out if you can show that you have other sufficient health insurance.

I will be happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Thanks for the reply I really appreciate it. I have graduated from three year degree as the 4 year degree was only introduced in Sydney university, few years ago.

Well, it sounds like I might have to wait a little while to save some money to study. Did you sit for a toefl exam in Australia or did you do it on line? I think it is one of the criteria for getting into the pharmacy schools in US.

How long have you got to go with your course? Are you planning to stay in US or come back to Australia. Thanks so much for you advice and would love to correspond with you.