Australian Medical School 2022 Entry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
do y'all think the borders will open for new students end of January? it would suck to have our first semester online...
Yes, they released an update last week saying they will be bringing back international students in January with medical students as one of the priority groups. Whether that means year 1’s or not though im not sure. Fingers crossed.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes, they released an update last week saying they will be bringing back international students in January with medical students as one of the priority groups. Whether that means year 1’s or not though im not sure. Fingers crossed.

Students in year 2-4 are able to obtain an individual exemption to the travel restrictions under current guidelines outside of the International Student Arrival Plan. UQ has told us current first year students that we will be officially recognized as second years once our grades come out on Dec 1 (assuming we passed everything...) and that UQ will submit a bulk exemption request on our behalf at that time. Hopefully the vast majority of us will be able to enter via an individual exemption, which should leave more spots available via the International Student Arrival Plan pathway. I don't know exactly how they will prioritize y1 med students vs other health professions but UQ has consistently told us from the start and throughout the year that we would be first up if an arrival plan were to be approved.

I really hope you guys can start in-person. There's time early in the semester to get settled/find a place to live/make friends but things ramp up pretty quickly. I do think it's looking pretty good but we'll see!

Reactions: 1 user
Students in year 2-4 are able to obtain an individual exemption to the travel restrictions under current guidelines outside of the International Student Arrival Plan. UQ has told us current first year students that we will be officially recognized as second years once our grades come out on Dec 1 (assuming we passed everything...) and that UQ will submit a bulk exemption request on our behalf at that time. Hopefully the vast majority of us will be able to enter via an individual exemption, which should leave more spots available via the International Student Arrival Plan pathway. I don't know exactly how they will prioritize y1 med students vs other health professions but UQ has consistently told us from the start and throughout the year that we would be first up if an arrival plan were to be approved.

I really hope you guys can start in-person. There's time early in the semester to get settled/find a place to live/make friends but things ramp up pretty quickly. I do think it's looking pretty good but we'll see!
I really hope so too! This is specific to UQ and ik NSW has plans starting December too. Do you know anything about Melbourne?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi just curious about those who accepted 1 school before deciding to switch to another. Given that the first school has to cancel your COE before the 2nd school can issue you a new COE and there is no guarantee that the 2nd school will keep your place, what gave these people the courage to take the risk of not getting a confirmation for either school?

Hi just curious about those who accepted 1 school before deciding to switch to another. Given that the first school has to cancel your COE before the 2nd school can issue you a new COE and there is no guarantee that the 2nd school will keep your place, what gave these people the courage to take the risk of not getting a confirmation for either school?

paying the 2nd school tuition deposit should secure the place. am i right?

paying the 2nd school tuition deposit should secure the place. am i right?
As spoken to my agent, the 2nd school will not be able to issue the COE until the 1st school has cancelled the original COE. And judging that Aus schools usually give out more offers than places, the place in the 2nd school will not be secure. My agent also confirmed that there is no guarantee that the place in the 2nd school will be kept even if the deposit is paid.

As spoken to my agent, the 2nd school will not be able to issue the COE until the 1st school has cancelled the original COE. And judging that Aus schools usually give out more offers than places, the place in the 2nd school will not be secure. My agent also confirmed that there is no guarantee that the place in the 2nd school will be kept even if the deposit is paid.
Okay. Then how does ANY student from the school know that their place is secured

I got my COE from the second school after accepting and paying the deposit. After I received my second COE, I withdrew from the first school. As such, I was holding two COEs from two schools at one time. Your place is secured after receiving COE.

If you've started your visa application after receiving your first COE, and then decided to change schools, you'll need to go through the "release policy". More information can be found here: Fine Print - OzTREKK and National Code of Practice for Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2018

do you guys have any updates on international entry to victoria as a first year?

I got my COE from the second school after accepting and paying the deposit. After I received my second COE, I withdrew from the first school. As such, I was holding two COEs from two schools at one time. Your place is secured after receiving COE.

If you've started your visa application after receiving your first COE, and then decided to change schools, you'll need to go through the "release policy". More information can be found here: Fine Print - OzTREKK and National Code of Practice for Providers of Education and Training to Overseas Students 2018
This is interesting.... means my agent gave me the wrong info despite me checking with her twice. She was sure that 1 student can only have 1 COE. Thanks for the reply!

I talked to a Melbourne rep and he said there is a high chance first years will have to do the first semester remotely as they prioritize current students over us. I really hope he is wrong, what do you guys think?

Screen Shot 2021-11-12 at 12.41.54 PM.png

Hi guys, so I read this on the Oztrekk's website... based on the title, can you say Sydney and Macquarie might send out their offers and CoEs for MD 2022? Has anyone heard about this?Or is it for upper year students from other programs who had commenced online (as Sydney hadn't sent any offers last year, so there isn't anyone finishing Year 1 offshore and online)...

I have a feeling they are full as the seats are being filled by onshore internationals but I could be wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a feeling they are full as the seats are being filled by onshore internationals but I could be wrong.
Onshore internationals are getting 0 exemptions at the moment so probably not

View attachment 345618
Hi guys, so I read this on the Oztrekk's website... based on the title, can you say Sydney and Macquarie might send out their offers and CoEs for MD 2022? Has anyone heard about this?Or is it for upper year students from other programs who had commenced online (as Sydney hadn't sent any offers last year, so there isn't anyone finishing Year 1 offshore and online)...

This program is aimed at students who are not included in the current exemption categories, see the link here: hhttps://covid19.homeaffairs.gov.au/travel-restrictions#toc-5. Med Students in 2nd, 3rd and 4th year are exempt from the restrictions and can book flights freely (they don't need to be part of this program). NSW and Victoria scrapped all quarantine requirements on Nov 1st if you were fully vaccinated. Anecdotally, an email was sent to all internationals at my school (in Victoria) to sign up to be apart of a program like this. From the information provided by my school, it seemed these programs are aimed at getting students in professional programs into the country first as the priority (med, dental, law, OT, nursing, physio etc). On a side note I'm surprised its only one flight every two weeks based on what that article says (please correct me if I'm wrong) seeing as there were around 290,000 internationals studying in NSW pre pandemic. Fingers crossed they prioritize you guys!

I was referring to the likelihood of Sydney and Macquarie sending out admission offers as the seats may already be full. But to the point of the quarantine, it is good that NSW and ACT are both leading the charge to abolish the quarantine requirement for international students. It makes little sense to quarantine fully vaccinated and COVID negative students when your state is over 90% fully vaccinated. I hope they can just ditch the international student plan and allow students to book their own flights in.

I talked to a Melbourne rep and he said there is a high chance first years will have to do the first semester remotely as they prioritize current students over us. I really hope he is wrong, what do you guys think?
It seems like a high possibility unless the policy changes. Current situation is that upper year students are selected to participate in the pilot program.

It seems like a high possibility unless the policy changes. Current situation is that upper year students are selected to participate in the pilot program.
Were upper year med students not already exempt and allowed in? The gov website says those in the final 3 years of a med program are given exemptions.

Were upper year med students not already exempt and allowed in? The gov website says those in the final 3 years of a med program are given exemptions.
Depends on your program. Some programs are not exempt like med is. The arrival plan is prioritizing these students and last year's med student who already did their MD1 online. One thing I did gather is when the vaccination reaches the 90% milestone in Victoria, there may be new announcements from the government. Hope for the best.

Yes all 2nd, 3rd and 4th year med students are exempt. The first years at my school (who just finished their 1st year) are getting their exemptions in December as they will be classified as 2nd year by then. What that last person said is wrong, upper year med students aren't part of any pilot program. The pilot program is for incoming 1st year med students and others not on the exempt list.

View attachment 345828
Is this true for UQ MD??
Definitely not. I think it would be very helpful to know anatomy going in because it will make things easier, but it is not essential. I haven't heard of a medical school that expects you to know anatomy that well going in--it's such a significant part of the medical school curriculum! I wonder which school the student quoted went to, and I really doubt it's UQ.

Thanks!! And any updates on the international student arrival plan?
I don't have any. It still seems scheduled to begin January 2022 as there haven't been any announced changes. Current medical students who will become M2s once grades come out should qualify for individual exemptions like the posters above said. Now we just have to wait a few weeks to see how things play out.

Hi all, I'm in the process of applying for a visa and I got 2 big questions, if anyone knows the answers it would be so so helpful

1. how are you guys writing your statement of temporary stay for the application? I would appreciate any tips as I am not part of the UQ program

2. for the visa biometric collection do you go to the embassy as soon as you apply or is it not until you get approved?

Thank you in advance !!

Saw this on Reddit the other day. Could anyone elaborate on the points AGAINST studying/practicing in Australia?

Are you referring to the second post, saying Australian med schools are all terrible and Canadian ones are awesome? I'm from the US so don't have much insight into Canadian schools, but I can say that I've seen plenty of posts here and elsewhere complaining about medical education in the US in the same way that poster complained about their Australian school experience. Maybe Canada has truly perfected preclinical medical education and the rest of the world needs to learn from them :p but what I think is more likely is that the poster prefers more guided learning, whereas Australian schools (or at least my school, UQ) heavily emphasize self-guided learning. A couple other things I want to point out for UQ specifically (and I'm assuming they went to UQ because of the class size): CBL tutors from what I've seen and heard have all been practicing GPs, and there's been a heavy emphasis on clinical lecturers.

Ultimately the purpose of med school is to get you the MD, and your success in getting a residency is affected by much bigger factors than your preclinical education so I don't think all this stuff is worth worrying about too much. If your goal is to practice in Australia, then going to an Australian school makes the most sense. If you want to practice in Canada, going to a Canadian school makes the most sense but as people pointed out in that thread, that's not always feasible. Australia is a good backup option, but it is much more expensive and does limit your options in the long term.

Is this helpful, or did you have any other specific questions?

Yes that answers most of my concerns! Also wondering about the part where they compare residency time, pay, and quality to internship in Australia
Sure, I won't pretend to be an expert on what residency is like in Canada but from what I've heard it's similar to the US.

Residency does take longer in Australia, but hours worked are much more reasonable and pay as a resident is higher and as an attending may be a bit lower but reasonably comparable. I think both the downvoted and upvoted comments in that thread are very valid but kind of miss the point. You should do residency where you want to practice. If your goal in going to an Australian school is to emigrate then there's no reason to come back to Canada for residency, and if you want to practice in Canada then it's not worth going through residency in Australia. The finances and timing are a factor, but hopefully there are other more important factors going into the decision of where you want to live.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you referring to the second post, saying Australian med schools are all terrible and Canadian ones are awesome? I'm from the US so don't have much insight into Canadian schools, but I can say that I've seen plenty of posts here and elsewhere complaining about medical education in the US in the same way that poster complained about their Australian school experience. Maybe Canada has truly perfected preclinical medical education and the rest of the world needs to learn from them :p but what I think is more likely is that the poster prefers more guided learning, whereas Australian schools (or at least my school, UQ) heavily emphasize self-guided learning. A couple other things I want to point out for UQ specifically (and I'm assuming they went to UQ because of the class size): CBL tutors from what I've seen and heard have all been practicing GPs, and there's been a heavy emphasis on clinical lecturers.

Ultimately the purpose of med school is to get you the MD, and your success in getting a residency is affected by much bigger factors than your preclinical education so I don't think all this stuff is worth worrying about too much. If your goal is to practice in Australia, then going to an Australian school makes the most sense. If you want to practice in Canada, going to a Canadian school makes the most sense but as people pointed out in that thread, that's not always feasible. Australia is a good backup option, but it is much more expensive and does limit your options in the long term.

Would going to a Canadian school matter for US citizens who hope to return to the US for residency? Since Canadian schools are also LCME approved and graduates do not need to take the ECFMG, would graduates be considered IMG at all? Of course students in Can. schools have it harder in that they have to take the MCQEs, Canada’s version of the USMLE, as well as the USMLEs. Students who go to UQ -Ochsner only have to take the USMLE. I’m don’t know much about other Australian medical programs.

Would going to a Canadian school matter for US citizens who hope to return to the US for residency? Since Canadian schools are also LCME approved and graduates do not need to take the ECFMG, would graduates be considered IMG at all? Of course students in Can. schools have it harder in that they have to take the MCQEs, Canada’s version of the USMLE, as well as the USMLEs. Students who go to UQ -Ochsner only have to take the USMLE. I’m don’t know much about other Australian medical programs.
If you were able to get into a Canadian school as a US citizen, you would probably be seen as equivalent to a US graduate with some caveats. You might be excluded by residency programs that filter all US-IMG applicants before any holistic review. It is also probably easier to get into a US medical school than a Canadian medical school as a US student, so unless you have a very strong reason to be in Canada for those 4 years it's probably not the greatest idea. Again I'm not an expert on Canadian schools so if you're looking at potentially going down that path it would be a good idea to try and find someone who's actually gone to a Canadian school.

If you were able to get into a Canadian school as a US citizen, you would probably be seen as equivalent to a US graduate with some caveats. You might be excluded by residency programs that filter all US-IMG applicants before any holistic review. It is also probably easier to get into a US medical school than a Canadian medical school as a US student, so unless you have a very strong reason to be in Canada for those 4 years it's probably not the greatest idea. Again I'm not an expert on Canadian schools so if you're looking at potentially going down that path it would be a good idea to try and find someone who's actually gone to a Canadian school.
I’m a proud incoming UQ-Ochsner student! No plans to switch anywhere!

Just playing devil’s advocate here for people with my demographics. I do agree it is very hard to get into the <20 Canadian med schools, even for Canadians

I’m a proud incoming UQ-Ochsner student! No plans to switch anywhere!

Just playing devil’s advocate here for people with my demographics. I do agree it is very hard to get into the <20 Canadian med schools, even for Canadians
Haha yes that makes sense! Sorry, I did use a lot of "you"s in my response but I did intend to speak more generally

Hey, I'm an incoming UQ MD student who is going to start in Jan 2022. How do you find the education so far and do you believe it is feasible to match back in Canada or the USA after studying in Australia?

Also, if you've been in Australia, what would you recommend for accomodations near the university?

Saw this on Reddit the other day. Could anyone elaborate on the points AGAINST studying/practicing in Australia?

That post/poster is an idiot. They completed 1 semester - they have literally no perspective. Also, a first year med student. In general that also lacks perspective. All med schools require significant learning outside of the classroom - anyone that tells you otherwise (especially someone who has 1 semester under their belt) is full of it. The entire point of med school is to graduate with the ability to practice safely - that means as an intern your job is to go see patients, and then go get help after you've gathered the information. Additionally, I did a number of rotations in the US, including with other med students from other US med schools, and am friends with a number of doctors in the US who went to US med schools. The education is no different and I never felt under-prepared when I was on rotations with other students from different US institutions.

I like my 38 hour work week. I make a liveable wage and get paid overtime/penalties for weekends. I am well supported. The training pathway is not all that much longer and you gain a lot of general medicine experience prior to specializing along the way. (Also not an intern, haven't been for a few years now).

The tl;dr is -> go to med school where you want to practice medicine for path of least resistance with your career.

So it appears that the international student arrivals plan just got thrown out of the window (good riddance) and eligible visa holders (student visa included) can enter Australia without special exemption starting Dec 1, 2021.

Reactions: 3 users
So it appears that the international student arrivals plan just got thrown out of the window (good riddance) and eligible visa holders (student visa included) can enter Australia without special exemption starting Dec 1, 2021.

This is good for the universities overall but may or may not be a good thing for us in particular. The ISAPs were a way for the states to prioritize certain subsets of students meaning medical students would be at the top of the list. Now everyone will be able to get in, which is good since travelling earlier may be an option, but also means flights are going to become even more challenging to get. There are about 160K international students with visas overseas (actual enrollments may be lower), and in October about 18K people total arrived by flight to Australia. Flights are starting to scale up but we'll have to see how quickly it happens. We'll probably be over there soon but it might be expensive and a bit of a mess.

UQ is holding a webinar for overseas current students this afternoon so maybe they'll have some more info. If I hear anything useful I'll let you know!

UQ told us basically to get over there as soon as we can. They're offering support and guidance, but essentially we need to find a flight to somewhere that doesn't require quarantine, hang out there for a couple weeks, and then we can go to Brisbane. There's likely a lot of pent up demand so booking early is probably better.

UQ told us basically to get over there as soon as we can. They're offering support and guidance, but essentially we need to find a flight to somewhere that doesn't require quarantine, hang out there for a couple weeks, and then we can go to Brisbane. There's likely a lot of pent up demand so booking early is probably better.
I'd definitely prefer that over quarantining in brisbane. I guess my only fear is that if i were to for example, head to sydney and hangout there for 2 weeks, then unluckily test positive when the day I flew to brisbane and potentially miss orientation/classes (which of course is unlikely). What did they say about modifying our OHSC again? Mine doesn't start till jan 10th and that wouldn't accomodate for the time needed for this option. Happy to hear we'll be starting in person though!

Similar to the reddit post i sent a few days ago, I'm also wondering how to arrange for living conditions in Australia with the possibility of getting an acceptance from a CAD/US med school. Any forms of temporary housing? I dont wanna get penalized for terminating a 1 year lease if I have to go back to Canada or US.
Considering aus schools start in Feb, you'll probably lose out on some to a lot of money (flight $ + housing $ + school deposit refund depending on what date you drop out) if you get an interview and then wait to see if you get an offer from Canadian schools.

I'd definitely prefer that over quarantining in brisbane. I guess my only fear is that if i were to for example, head to sydney and hangout there for 2 weeks, then unluckily test positive when the day I flew to brisbane and potentially miss orientation/classes (which of course is unlikely). What did they say about modifying our OHSC again? Mine doesn't start till jan 10th and that wouldn't accomodate for the time needed for this option. Happy to hear we'll be starting in person though!
for OHSC they said to msg the insurance people to have your date move up but tbh, some people have called up their rep and the rep said just buy additional dates on your coverage (like buy coverage for Jan 3-Jan 10 and we would be fine), its only like 10$ too so not too bad

Last edited:
Is any of the UQ stuff true?
One of my friends is 4th year at UQ now and he always has a lot of complaints about the program, though according to him nothing there is truly insurmountable. One main takeaway I got was that there is definitely a lot of self-directed learning and self-discipline involved.

Is any of the UQ stuff true?

I can’t say much about whats true and whats not but you cant just take anecdotal evidence at face value. This person spent 1 semester at UQ and unfortunately had a negative experience, but that doesnt mean everyone does. I have friends in canadian med schools that consistently called their pre-clinical years a joke and that they felt they had to teach themselves most of the content. What I do know is that if one puts in the effort, they can come out of UQ as a successful doctor, as many have before.

LOL - wants to do an AMA because they spent 8 weeks in Brisbane for 1 semester of med school. I don't post on reddit, like ever, and I would just to tell them they're an idiot.
Don't forget they also hooked up with one of the other interviewees DURING the day of med school interviews (maybe someone watched too much greys anatomy and decided to write some fan fiction), laments how easy it is for Australians to get into med school and thinks one country having 4 more medical schools than the other is "double the amount of schools".

Tbh with y'all , when I read the part of the Reddit poster about USMLE self study and how UQ taught and the part where he talks about DO school , I already knew this person did not do enough research and just seems to talks based on hearsay. Sorry , I don't want to discredit the Reddit poster but I would take some of his self opinion with a grain of salt. Med school is not easy regardless of where you go, Canada or Australia. Med school require self study and self discipline and from his post and his hook up experience, it seems like he wanted to go Australia for some fun time rather than take school serious.

My major concern that I wanted to clear was in the OP’s talk about the inexperienced lecturers. There’s no way that what he said can be true.

“yet the person who is tasked with teaching ECG interpretation is a researcher who normally does electrophysiology experiments on mice, and doesn’t have even basic of understanding in ECG interpretation. That instructor was actively teaching incorrect interpretations and strategies that she had learnt in what she admitted to have been 2 weeks ago, from a pile of 3 textbooks that she told the class she had read before the class so she could teach it. I really just wanted to face palm myself so many times during that lecture. The ECG teaching consisted of a 1 hour lecture by said researcher, followed by a 1.5 workshop with the same researcher, with second year medical students to help with the session (they didn’t know much better than the first years).”

“We also had 2 hours of histology in the University of Queensland each week, where we had a lab tech show us images on the screen for 20 minutes, then we had to independently look and identify histological images ourself on our computer in the computer lab, with the guidance of 3 lab techs for a group of 121 students. Most of the students left after less than 30 minutes as they’ve found the classes useless.”

“This is a complete dichotomy to the University of Queensland, where virtually none of the staff in the sessions with less than 484 students are practicing physicians or experts in the field. Therefore, there is no point in asking them questions because they won’t know the answer to it.”
As a current UQ-Ochsner student--this stuff is not currently true, although I've heard it too many times now from too many different sources to disregard it completely. My sense is that this was a much bigger issue in the past, and UQ has been taking steps to rectify these problems.

We were taught EKG interpretation across both lectures and a practical. The EKG practical was taught by a PhD, not a clinician, but her PhD was in cardiovascular physiology and there were no issues with the pre-practical lecture or the practical itself as far as I could tell. There were also 3 lectures taught by two practicing cardiologists which addressed EKG interpretation from various perspectives (overview of EKG, focus on arrythmias, focus on inherited disorders), other lectures like pharmacology touched on interpretation, and interpretation was brought up in many of the cardiovascular CBL cases. Finally, EKG is one of the things in medicine most amenable to self teaching because it can sort of be learned in isolation or with a very basic understanding of cardiac physiology, and there's an expectation that you study stuff yourself.

Histology, like anatomy, can be very difficult to teach because it's mostly recognizing stuff by looking at it and memorizing the characteristic features. You can have a lecturer point to x cell type across 100 different slides but you've got to put in the work of understanding how to recognize it in a new slide. I do think anatomy suffers worse from this problem though, and the current histology lecturer does a pretty good job of explaining everything. The actual tutors can be a bit hit or miss especially if you don't have any specific questions, but the prerecorded lectures and prework are very helpful, and they give you a bunch of practice questions.

To the last point, when thinking about sessions with less than the full cohort, there's anatomy, pathology, histology, sometimes physiology, and CBL.
  • CBL to my understanding is always taught by a practicing PCP but I could be wrong.
  • Physiology is sporadic and can be taught by everyone, it's really only brought out when there's something complex and specific enough to warrant it's own smaller hands-on session (EKG is a good example, but also the way various physiologic factors affect blood pressure and all of the various transporters in the nephrons was another example).
  • Histology is as I mentioned above, taught by a PhD but she really truly knows her stuff and is able to teach it very well. She also teaches embryology. I don't think we would get much more value by having these courses taught by an MD because most MDs barely understand this stuff anyway.
  • Pathology is taught by Suja Pillai, and she's unironically better than Dr. Sattar from Pathoma. This is a hill I'm willing to die on
  • Anatomy is taught by Dr Mark Midwinter, a practicing surgeon. His lectures (alongside the Histology prof's lectures) are universally super intense.
I want to caveat this by saying that I would much more enthusiastically recommend UQ-Ochsner to an American student than UQ traditional to a Canadian student, and there are concerns about attending UQ as a Canadian especially if you are unwilling to remain in Australia in the long term, but I don't think quality of education should be one of those concerns. I'll take a look at the full post (eventually...) and will reply if there's anything else.

Honestly an MS1 going on about ECGs is laughable to say the least. That part was basically where all credibility was gone, regardless of all of the other idiotic stuff in that post.

It is possible, but I think a return to hotel quarantine is more likely, or there may be no changes depending on how effective vaccinations are. We'll have to wait and see. Very unfortunate timing...

Is it possible that the omicron variant will prevent the arrival of intl. students?
Honestly, I would try and get into the country as early as possible just incase things do shut down again for some reason. Like @Wolvvs said they don't really know yet how effective the vaccines are against it, but on the plus side Australia does have a pretty high vaccination rate. In Victoria they have just implemented a 72hr home quarantine for all international arrivals, so quarantine requirements/restrictions can change very quickly.