My major concern that I wanted to clear was in the OP’s talk about the inexperienced lecturers. There’s no way that what he said can be true.
“yet the person who is tasked with teaching ECG interpretation is a researcher who normally does electrophysiology experiments on mice, and doesn’t have even basic of understanding in ECG interpretation. That instructor was actively teaching incorrect interpretations and strategies that she had learnt in what she admitted to have been 2 weeks ago, from a pile of 3 textbooks that she told the class she had read before the class so she could teach it. I really just wanted to face palm myself so many times during that lecture. The ECG teaching consisted of a 1 hour lecture by said researcher, followed by a 1.5 workshop with the same researcher, with second year medical students to help with the session (they didn’t know much better than the first years).”
“We also had 2 hours of histology in the University of Queensland each week, where we had a lab tech show us images on the screen for 20 minutes, then we had to independently look and identify histological images ourself on our computer in the computer lab, with the guidance of 3 lab techs for a group of 121 students. Most of the students left after less than 30 minutes as they’ve found the classes useless.”
“This is a complete dichotomy to the University of Queensland, where virtually none of the staff in the sessions with less than 484 students are practicing physicians or experts in the field. Therefore, there is no point in asking them questions because they won’t know the answer to it.”
As a current UQ-Ochsner student--this stuff is not currently true, although I've heard it too many times now from too many different sources to disregard it completely. My sense is that this was a much bigger issue in the past, and UQ has been taking steps to rectify these problems.
We were taught EKG interpretation across both lectures and a practical. The EKG practical was taught by a PhD, not a clinician, but her PhD was in cardiovascular physiology and there were no issues with the pre-practical lecture or the practical itself as far as I could tell. There were also 3 lectures taught by two practicing cardiologists which addressed EKG interpretation from various perspectives (overview of EKG, focus on arrythmias, focus on inherited disorders), other lectures like pharmacology touched on interpretation, and interpretation was brought up in many of the cardiovascular CBL cases. Finally, EKG is one of the things in medicine most amenable to self teaching because it can sort of be learned in isolation or with a very basic understanding of cardiac physiology, and there's an expectation that you study stuff yourself.
Histology, like anatomy, can be very difficult to teach because it's mostly recognizing stuff by looking at it and memorizing the characteristic features. You can have a lecturer point to x cell type across 100 different slides but you've got to put in the work of understanding how to recognize it in a new slide. I do think anatomy suffers worse from this problem though, and the current histology lecturer does a pretty good job of explaining everything. The actual tutors can be a bit hit or miss especially if you don't have any specific questions, but the prerecorded lectures and prework are very helpful, and they give you a bunch of practice questions.
To the last point, when thinking about sessions with less than the full cohort, there's anatomy, pathology, histology, sometimes physiology, and CBL.
- CBL to my understanding is always taught by a practicing PCP but I could be wrong.
- Physiology is sporadic and can be taught by everyone, it's really only brought out when there's something complex and specific enough to warrant it's own smaller hands-on session (EKG is a good example, but also the way various physiologic factors affect blood pressure and all of the various transporters in the nephrons was another example).
- Histology is as I mentioned above, taught by a PhD but she really truly knows her stuff and is able to teach it very well. She also teaches embryology. I don't think we would get much more value by having these courses taught by an MD because most MDs barely understand this stuff anyway.
- Pathology is taught by Suja Pillai, and she's unironically better than Dr. Sattar from Pathoma. This is a hill I'm willing to die on
- Anatomy is taught by Dr Mark Midwinter, a practicing surgeon. His lectures (alongside the Histology prof's lectures) are universally super intense.
I want to caveat this by saying that I would much more enthusiastically recommend UQ-Ochsner to an American student than UQ traditional to a Canadian student, and there are concerns about attending UQ as a Canadian especially if you are unwilling to remain in Australia in the long term, but I don't think quality of education should be one of those concerns. I'll take a look at the full post (eventually...) and will reply if there's anything else.