Authoritative SDN Pain Med Salary Survey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much money do you make from doctoring?

• <150K

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • 150-200K

Votes: 3 3.0%
  • 200-250K

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • 250-300K

Votes: 21 20.8%
  • 350-400K

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • 400-450K

Votes: 9 8.9%
  • 450-500K

Votes: 8 7.9%
  • 500-550K

• 550-600K

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 600-700K

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • 700-800K

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • 800-900K

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • 900-BALLER

• BALLER+++

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • 300-350

• Total voters
>1M after tax means some of you guys make more than 1.5M... I guess not many would achieve this in a hospital employed setting. It makes me feel like I need to open my own shop at some point.

Very few people are hitting that mark and it is very hard to do purely with office visits and procedures, there are usually other business ventures involved. MGMA data typically puts median income around $500k.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interestingly, there's a hump around $250-$350K, and then about a quarter of us are balling at $750K+. If this survey aggregates, it would follow the 80/20 rule.

Which leads to this question: What are the characteristics of that 20% that break off from the rest of the herd? What can the rest of the pack learn from the 20% who are distinct in their earning ability and production?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thread is in poor taste.

also inaccurate

kind of important that people understand a poll before answering. no conclusions can be drawn from it

How much money do you need?
Not a matter of need. We're probably all working relatively the same amount, some are just making more for it. It's a matter of learning your value, working smarter not harder.

“Mo money mo problems” only exists for people like Scottie pippen who blew all is earnings I think on stupid things like planes.

The reality is mo money is never really a bad thing if you know what to do with it because no one can predict what their individual life or family needs are gonna be, and no one can predict when you are going to need safety. How much safety is highly variable.

I would love to learn from the ballers. They may be completely unethical but at least I can potentially learn from their work ethic or ways in which I can be more efficient.

Right now, my job in a group ortho private practice is pretty cush, but my salary is reflective of that. I would honestly love to work more hours, but we currently don’t have the infrastructure to offer that. I’m sure the ballers have somehow maximized productivity while containing overhead all the while having successfully negotiated very good insurance rates. All these things would be great to learn..

Reactions: 3 users
i didnt count the baller categories, but average is around $430,000 and median is about $380,000.
I could believe that much more than what MGMA is reported.

i'm curious like drusso on how the top 25% do it

also inaccurate

kind of important that people understand a poll before answering. no conclusions can be drawn from it

Nothing stops people from changing their answer if they don't understand the question. The poll lets you do that.

"If you misunderstood the question and posted "pre-tax" instead of "post-tax" click the "change vote" button." Better yet: READ the question before answering.

Jeez, Are you happy now??

1698699714221.png

Right now, my job in a group ortho private practice is pretty cush, but my salary is reflective of that. I would honestly love to work more hours, but we currently don’t have the infrastructure to offer that. I’m sure the ballers have somehow maximized productivity while containing overhead all the while having successfully negotiated very good insurance rates. All these things would be great to learn..
Why not moonlight? I also have the time to do that but, after I calculate the taxes, it's not worth it to me.

Life is happening NOW and I don't want my entire life to be about money. I have to keep reminding myself...

Most hospitals won’t give you a conversion factor to get to that level or allow you to see enough patients. But they are paying some of the surgeons $1.5-$2M. You can pull their 990s and see for yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
Most hospitals won’t give you a conversion factor to get to that level or allow you to see enough patients. But they are paying some of the surgeons $1.5-$2M. You can pull their 990s and see for yourself.

Digging into the 990's should be a mandatory activity for employed MD's.

Reactions: 3 users
“Mo money mo problems” only exists for people like Scottie pippen who blew all is earnings I think on stupid things like planes.

The reality is mo money is never really a bad thing if you know what to do with it because no one can predict what their individual life or family needs are gonna be, and no one can predict when you are going to need safety. How much safety is highly variable.

I would love to learn from the ballers. They may be completely unethical but at least I can potentially learn from their work ethic or ways in which I can be more efficient.

Scottie Pippen didn’t blow his money,
He never got fairly paid for his work….

His wife is blowing Jordan's son too!

My bad...Poor taste.

Unless pineapple juice...NM.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users