Authorization to release step scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovemacaroons

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. So I'm a bit confuse on authorization to release and rerelease get scores. If I authorize my score to be release in early July but my step 2 score won't be in until August, do programs still see both my steps? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Depends. If your application has been submitted (such as mine for fellowships), then your USMLE transcript will only show what was present on the day you submitted your application. If you submit (and pay) September 15th, then your USMLE transcript will show all the scores that have been released up to that date--so a score that came back in August would be there. However, if you have a score come back after you submit your application, you have to manually reauthorize the release of your transcript to transmit those updated scores.

Depends. If your application has been submitted (such as mine for fellowships), then your USMLE transcript will only show what was present on the day you submitted your application. If you submit (and pay) September 15th, then your USMLE transcript will show all the scores that have been released up to that date--so a score that came back in August would be there. However, if you have a score come back after you submit your application, you have to manually reauthorize the release of your transcript to transmit those updated scores.

Ah I have not pay for my app yet. Guess that means the updated score will be on there even if I release them back in july

I'm confused as to the protocol here. My ERAS states that "The USMLE Transcript has been authorized for release" but I have not paid for a USMLE transcript and I was under the impression that we had to pay a fee for the transcript. I'm guessing that this affirmation for authorization of release of the transcript does not mean that ERAS actually has the transcript or would actually release it until a fee is paid?

I'm confused as to the protocol here. My ERAS states that "The USMLE Transcript has been authorized for release" but I have not paid for a USMLE transcript and I was under the impression that we had to pay a fee for the transcript. I'm guessing that this affirmation for authorization of release of the transcript does not mean that ERAS actually has the transcript or would actually release it until a fee is paid?
Correct. You will pay the score transmission fee at the time you submit your ERAS application/pay all the other ERAS fee; your score will be available to the programs after that.

Reactions: 1 user