Authorship position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gastrin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Can anyone please advise me regarding the value of being the last author in an article. This is for clinical journals like JCO, blood etc.

Also does the value/importance of the auhtor change if s/he is the 2nd last author but corresponding author compared to last author and not corresponding author?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Uh, what? Isn't the last author usually the corresponding author? That's usually reserved for the senior investigator. If you're last author in that context, you're fine

Hi guys,

Can anyone please advise me regarding the value of being the last author in an article. This is for clinical journals like JCO, blood etc.

Also does the value/importance of the auhtor change if s/he is the 2nd last author but corresponding author compared to last author and not corresponding author?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Not sure what you are trying to get at, but in general for publications:

Guy who did all the work of writing it and putting it together (first author), a bunch of people who may or may not have run some tests or provided some comments on the draft(s) (middle authors), a bunch of other people in the research group who gets tacked on out of seniority or courtesy...etc. (latter middle authors -- depending on where you are this may or may not happen), and then the PI (last author).

Basically, only the first and last authors matter. First author is important. At this stage, it's probably very rare to be the last author. I suppose if you're looking at tenure or such later down the road they may care more about you having been the PI for a few studies.

I think corresponding author is pretty artificial tbh. Often it is the first author, but in some academic institutions the PI prefers to be the corresponding author regardless of who did the work (or it's the accepted existing culture at the place). I've never seen the corresponding be anyone other than the first author or the last author.