Auto qualification for A/F HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trickybenny

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The recruiter in my area (Southeast), specifically South Carolina just informed me this last week that if you got a 19 PAT and a 3.75gpa you automatically qualify for the Airforce scholarship. This was news to me, so thought I'ld share. My assumption is that this criteria is for anyone considering the A/F HPSP.

Members don't see this ad.

At one point in time, there was an automatic qualification for med students for the Army hpsp which was a 3.5 gpa and a 25 on the mcat, but I am not sure if that is the case anymore.

One thing that I am sure about is that neither of the branches are hitting their recruitment numbers when it comes to dentists, and that includes the air force.

The proof in this is that the Air Force now offers 4yr hpsp, which has only happened in the last 2 yrs. Also, the number of "boards" that meet to select hpsp students has decreased to only 3 times a year b/c there were not enough people applying throughout the year to warrant more boards than that.

All of the branches have been registering declining numbers of applicants in medical, dental, and nursing, which is evident if you do a google search or step into a recruiters office and read the Airmen, or All Hands, or any other military periodical.

Just recently the Army lowered its DAT number to 15 to qualify for the hpsp. This is no joke, so as long as you are around a 17 or so, and/or an acceptance letter you should be fine.

I was told that with my scores I would be a 'Field Select' meaning I'd be guaranteed a spot. 3.5 GPA and 19/20/22 DAT. Although, it seems that you you have the scores to get into dental school than you have the scores for the scholarship.