MDhopeful324

2+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2016
Status
Medical Student
Hi guys,

Hoping some of you can help me out with UCSD's secondary.

So about this essay...does it have to be written in chronological order? I ask because a few of the stories I'm using from my childhood branch out quite a bit and it feels really awkward just skipping over the result just to address another childhood story.

For example, a childhood struggle with a language barrier encouraged me to study a particular subject throughout high school and college.

There are others like this as well.

Would it be okay to split my essay up by topic or should I just stick to referring back and forth to certain events while writing in chronological order.

I just want to put this secondary behind me. I'm having enough trouble as it is avoiding certain topics as my PS was essentially a "why medicine" autobiography.

TIA!!

To be MD

Med School Or Bust
7+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Hi guys,

Hoping some of you can help me out with UCSD's secondary.

So about this essay...does it have to be written in chronological order? I ask because a few of the stories I'm using from my childhood branch out quite a bit and it feels really awkward just skipping over the result just to address another childhood story.

For example, a childhood struggle with a language barrier encouraged me to study a particular subject throughout high school and college.

There are others like this as well.

Would it be okay to split my essay up by topic or should I just stick to referring back and forth to certain events while writing in chronological order.

I just want to put this secondary behind me. I'm having enough trouble as it is avoiding certain topics as my PS was essentially a "why medicine" autobiography.

TIA!!
You don't have to write an autobiography in chronological order, but when you only have 4000 characters... there's not a lot of room to come up with a Memento-esque reverse bio or any other major format. If you want to do a few snapshots, instead of your standard "I was born in..." essay, that's fine.

Go ahead and do what you think works at successfully describing you. It is not a just a "why medicine" autobiography; it is a (1) "who am I, (2) "what challenges I've overcome, and (3) "how my life up to this point reaffirmed my commitment to medicine" essay.

Most important: just write. See what you come up with. Take out the bad, add some good, and do it over again until what you have written satisifies points 1-3.

Good luck!

OP
M

MDhopeful324

2+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2016
Status
Medical Student
You don't have to write an autobiography in chronological order, but when you only have 4000 characters... there's not a lot of room to come up with a Memento-esque reverse bio or any other major format. If you want to do a few snapshots, instead of your standard "I was born in..." essay, that's fine.

Go ahead and do what you think works at successfully describing you. It is not a just a "why medicine" autobiography; it is a (1) "who am I, (2) "what challenges I've overcome, and (3) "how my life up to this point reaffirmed my commitment to medicine" essay.

Most important: just write. See what you come up with. Take out the bad, add some good, and do it over again until what you have written satisifies points 1-3.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice!

I think the character count is 6000, but I understand what you're saying. I think my main problem is organization, otherwise, I know exactly what I plan on addressing. The third point will be a little bit difficult to address given that I've already discussed all the info in my PS. Any suggestions not that issue?