Average board scores - POLL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you be interested in a website a la Mdapplicants for avg. Board scores?

• Yes, I would be interested/visit

Votes: 40 74.1%
  • No, Bad idea

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • ahhh did you mean COMPLEX??

Votes: 8 14.8%

• Total voters

medhacker

We can end world poverty!
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In view of the lack of information regarding average board scores,
How many of you would trust/desire a site with volunteered, self-reported USMLE/COMLEX scores a la mdappplicants.com ?

Members don't see this ad.

What type of control would be set in place to ensure that the right scores would be reported? None. So whats the point. Just like inflated profiles on mdappplicants.com, you would have the samething with board scores. Does us absolutely no good unless NBOME or each school releases an offical report. Which won't happen (even though I think it should).

What type of control would be set in place to ensure that the right scores would be reported? None. So whats the point. Just like inflated profiles on mdappplicants.com, you would have the samething with board scores. Does us absolutely no good unless NBOME or each school releases an offical report. Which won't happen (even though I think it should).

True dat.

The best thing for OD students curious about COMPLEX scores to do would be to start a new thread on SDN asking "what is the best OD school"?

I didn't bother to do a search, but I'm sure no one's ever thought of starting a thread like that before. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
True dat.

The best thing for OD students curious about COMPLEX to do would be to start a new thread is on SDN asking "what is the best OD school"? I didn't bother to search, but I'm sure no one's ever thought of starting a thread like that before. :thumbup:

Its Comlex and we are DO students.

Thanks.

A whole year of med school and they never told me! I wondered why people stopped talking to me when I asked when we would learn to do eyeglass prescriptions...

That's a swing and a miss. I guess you missed the subtle sarcasm in my post.

HGaHAHA Yea I did. I think I posted that after a crazy drunken night. I get it now. :D

How about requiring that users register with their school email addresses?

Some have argued that % matched to their first choice is a better representation than board scores. I came across this data which is interesting. This is for those who matched into an AOA program.

Attachments

• lcl_optirepmatch.pdf
    22.1 KB · Views: 433
Some have argued that % matched to their first choice is a better representation than board scores. I came across this data which is interesting. This is for those who matched into an AOA program.

Very interesting. Thank you. As a corollary, I wonder if there is a similar chart that has the statistics for the entire match, AOA and AMA. Probably not, huh? Still, what you have here is something to chew on.

What do you suppose the recent overall trend is saying?

PS: KCUMB has some pretty consistant AOA 1st choice match rates, doesn't it? :cool:

What do you suppose the recent overall trend is saying?

PS: KCUMB has some pretty consistant AOA 1st choice match rates, doesn't it? :cool:

From the data one can get a good sense of what programs will give you the best chance of getting your #1 choice (everything else being up to par). While this might only be for AOA residencies, it still means something. I wonder if the data would be similar for students going into AMA spots? It seems like the schools getting consistently in the low-mid 90% range would have strong numbers for the AMA match as well. From the graph at the bottom, it appears that it is becoming more difficult to match into your 1st AOA internship choice. Is this due to more students graduating and not enough spots? Another question, could one also state that schools like PCOM, MSU, NYCOM, tend to put more students into AOA residencies than AMA? These schools show 100-170 students going into AOA spots, which would account for a large portion of their student body.

Spice, as far as the KCUMB data I think your post in another thread is worthy to be quoted here:

Yeah, I know what you mean, and I sometimes think that, too. However, taking a hint from the Geto Boys, we don't need to "flex nuts" because we know we've "got 'em." ;) :thumbup:

Another question, could one also state that schools like PCOM, MSU, NYCOM, tend to put more students into AOA residencies than AMA? These schools show 100-170 students going into AOA spots, which would account for a large portion of their student body.

Classes at PCOM are usually 270+
So about 100 students from PCOM have been going the AMA route

Classes at PCOM are usually 270+
So about 100 students from PCOM have been going the AMA route
those are internship spots only....it makes sense that a high percentage pcom grads do a DO internship as it necessary to practice in this state (as its one of the famous 5 states).....there is also no way to tell how many students did a DO internship and went to an MD residency....so you really can't draw too many other conclusions from that data then what it blatantly says

those are internship spots only....it makes sense that a high percentage pcom grads do a DO internship as it necessary to practice in this state (as its one of the famous 5 states).....there is also no way to tell how many students did a DO internship and went to an MD residency....so you really can't draw too many other conclusions from that data then what it blatantly says

So at least about a 100* and maybe more have been going into AMA residencies.

Give and take considering that some people do not pursue GME, others pursue other degrees, and others for varied reasons should not/could not be counted among the ones pursuing GME

Schools with lots of DO residencies nearby have lots of its grads going into DO residencies. Schools with very few DO residencies option have a lot of their grads go into ACGME residency.

Most schools' match lists (with a few exceptions) have the vast majority of their students going to programs nearby ... this is true for MD or DO schools.

If you look at OSUCOM, most of their grads are staying in the midwest. If you look at TCOM, most of their grads are staying in Texas (or nearby states). AZCOM have their grads staying in the southwest. The same trend can be said of most MD schools too.

Schools with lots of DO residencies nearby have lots of its grads going into DO residencies. Schools with very few DO residencies option have a lot of their grads go into ACGME residency.

Most schools' match lists (with a few exceptions) have the vast majority of their students going to programs nearby ... this is true for MD or DO schools.

If you look at OSUCOM, most of their grads are staying in the midwest. If you look at TCOM, most of their grads are staying in Texas (or nearby states). AZCOM have their grads staying in the southwest. The same trend can be said of most MD schools too.

Agreed.