smc927

El Flaquito
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2002
Wandering Around
Visit site
Status
A friend told me about a site that has the average GPA and MCAT by medical school. They're giving away free access. So I tried and they gave me a free account. I guess it is a temporary thing but I thought I'd spread the word. You have to email [email protected] and type "freebie" as the subject of your email. They got back to me really quick.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
smc927 said:
A friend told me about a site that has the average GPA and MCAT by medical school. They're giving away free access. So I tried and they gave me a free account. I guess it is a temporary thing but I thought I'd spread the word. You have to email [email protected] and type "freebie" as the subject of your email. They got back to me really quick.
Sounds like a con to me.

Just look in US News & World report. It has all of those stats.

DrBeanie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 15, 2004
Status
OSUdoc08 said:
Sounds like a con to me.

Not a scam. It worked for me.

Just checking though, what's the average MCAT for NYCOM students?

It says 9.9, which is surprisingly high!

OP
S

smc927

El Flaquito
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2002
Wandering Around
Visit site
Status
OSUdoc08 said:
Sounds like a con to me.

I thought that, too. But from what I found at the US News & World Report they only give you the top 20 then want you to pay for the rest.

I like free better. :)

jav316

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2005
Status
i tried it because it was free :) some of the gpas look a little high for some of the schools. its states 3.6 for nycom. i don't remember where i read it but i thought the avg gpa there was in the 3.3-3.4 range. any other ideas?

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
smc927 said:
I thought that, too. But from what I found at the US News & World Report they only give you the top 20 then want you to pay for the rest.

I like free better. :)
Fortunately, my mom bought the book, and it has every school in it.

OP
S

smc927

El Flaquito
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2002
Wandering Around
Visit site
Status
OSUdoc08 said:
Fortunately, my mom bought the book, and it has every school in it.
Which book? I know lots of people at school that would love to see it.

Test Boy

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Mar 30, 1999
Visit site
Status
are you sure? actually, this website reports mcats of 8.9 and gpa of 3.4 which seems accurate.

DrBeanie said:
Not a scam. It worked for me.

Just checking though, what's the average MCAT for NYCOM students?

It says 9.9, which is surprisingly high!

ash2003

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 23, 2004
Status
There is a book that gives all the stats of the med schools, such as average GPA, tuition, rolling vs. non-rolling admissions,admission requirements, etc. The name of the book is American Medical School Admission Requirements (AMSAR). I believe that it is only for the MD school however, but I heard you can e-mail or call a certain number in the book to receive the complete list of DO school requirements. I believe the book is around $30 and is very helpful. They have it at our school's library though( I think it's an old copy however, and they update the new one every year)....so you might want to check there first. :)

medic170

American Infidel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2001
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
ash2003 said:
There is a book that gives all the stats of the med schools, such as average GPA, tuition, rolling vs. non-rolling admissions,admission requirements, etc. The name of the book is American Medical School Admission Requirements (AMSAR). I believe that it is only for the MD school however, but I heard you can e-mail or call a certain number in the book to receive the complete list of DO school requirements. I believe the book is around $30 and is very helpful. They have it at our school's library though( I think it's an old copy however, and they update the new one every year)....so you might want to check there first. :)
You can get the DO numbers for most DO schools on the AACOM web site under publications, for free.

OSUdoc08

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2003
Status
Medical Student
smc927 said:
Which book? I know lots of people at school that would love to see it.
US News & World Report: America's Graduate Schools

or

MSAR: Medical School Admissions Requirements

normalforce

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 5, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
Jinyaoysiu said:
if i remember correctly, 1997.
I think it is even earlier than that. I remember looking at the exact same list when I was a frosh in college. That was 1996. I would guess they are 94-95 stats.

OP
S

smc927

El Flaquito
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 25, 2002
Wandering Around
Visit site
Status