Average GPA/GRE for Admission into MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D-Block

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the average GPA/GRE for admission into MPH programs?

Members don't see this ad.

different for every school.

3.5 / 1275 ish for UCLA/UC Berkeley

Anyone know of a website or book or anything that has the general stats for different MPH schools because I'm thinking about it as a possibility but have no idea where to apply or where I might have a reasonable chance of acceptance. Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad :)
Never mind, just looked at the "websites" thread. D'oh.

Keep in mind that some schools will also take MCATs in lieu of the GRE.

Cheers.

Is there a certain cut-off GRE/GPA marks school of public healths look for. I know it differs in different institutions but is there a bare minimum of some sort that is the cut off.

As far as GREs, nothing below 500-550 in each section. Most times, anything above 600 in each section should be sufficient. As far as GPAs.. I've known people to get in with GPAs as low as 3.0, but I'd think that a safe range would be 3.3 and above. I've also known folks with a combination who have gotten as well, i.e., a person with a high GPA/low GRE (meaning 500s) or a person with a low GPA/high GRE. Again, scores are not the only determinants, and experience counts for a lot as well (although not absolutely required for most schools).

Just wondering....Is the GRE test very difficult? Does it take a lot of preparation or is it one of those things where you go into it knowing what you know and hoping for the best?

The GRE is an adult version of the SAT exam, with both verbal and quantitative sections, as well as analytical skills testing. It would be smart for you to prepare instead of taking your chances cold turkey. It's not that difficult an exam, but that interpretation is different for different people. If there is a practice exam available at your school (through Kaplan, etc.), sit for the test to assess the areas where you need to improve. It's probably not necessary for you to sit through a test prep course, as many of the test prep people (e.g., Kaplan, Princeton, etc.) also put out books with the same materials. Unless you need guided instruction throughout your study process, I'd suggest grabbing a prep book, setting goals for yourself (in terms of areas for improvement, score aims, etc.), and putting yourself on a study schedule to achieve those goals.