average GPA/MCAT for entering DO students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surag

kobayashi
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what are the average GPA/MCAts for entering DO students? I havn't found any statistics online. Can anyone shed light on this? I'll have a 2.9 when I graduate with a 37 MCAT....

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a pretty good shot at almost every school.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow...either you are a REALLY good guesser...or you had one helluva time in undergrad due to laziness/part-time-jobs/stressful-event
anyhoo, congrats on owning the MCAT.
be careful about wasting money on applying to schools that have a min. GPA of 3.0 though~!

That is a really sick MCAT. Nice work.

thank you. let me elaborate on my sad story

I started off never really arguing with my parents about going to med school( i justified it saying i'd make so much money who cares what i do)

my parents were the helicopter types-hovering over me, watching everythign i did...when i went to college it followed in the worst ways. I did not have good study habits, slacked off, goofed around-basically put things off to the last minute and kept telling myself I had next year. I hated the courses i took cuz my dad picked them out for me(he insisted on seeing my grades and knew what classes i took-his excuse, im paying the bills bla bla) so i dumbly agreed and took the classes i hated.

he picked out my arts and humanities courses too( i was a science major and my school required outside of science courses in humanities as well) based on the assumption that they would look good on my resume-i hated them and did poorly. I did poorly on the science courses after sophomore year-after I did all the prereqs for mcat, I did really well in gen chem/bio/physics/orgo but tanked on biochem/genetics/cell bio and so forth. every summer I came home with my dad making me do things i ddnt want to-making me volunteer for the bare minimum so i could put it on my resume, he never asked if being doctor was what i wanted, etc. and didn't care for shadowing even though I thought it was important to figure out if thats what i wanted to do.

I spent an entire summer slogging away on the mcats and ended up with a 14 on physical, 11 on verbal and 12 on bio

I studied a lot...real hard. for the MCATs...but thats it, i burnt out and my junior year tanked( took the mcats august of junior year). same with my senior year and only now im picking up-plus the family life has been horrible for me.

and he didn't let me apply anywhere else(dont have money to pay for apps and only recently got a job) so i basically tanked on the md applications cuz i didnt have a great gpa but he was like oh you'll get in somewhere bla bla.

so here's my sob story-not that im airing it for pity but just so you know my MCATs dont mean **** to me. anyway thats how I did so well and so bad at the same time.

so here's my sob story-not that im airing it for pity but just so you know my MCATs dont mean **** to me. anyway thats how I did so well and so bad at the same time.

So you're going to med school because your dad is making you?

trainwreck.jpg

So you're going to med school because your dad is making you?

trainwreck.jpg

a great part of me is unsure about becoming a doctor. Unfortunately, I dont have much else lined up for me at the moment because of the pressures i talked about and the difficulties I've faced. I take responsibility for whats happened, but at the same time feel cheated of whats happened.

So from my credentials and what I've been doing, I have a better shot at becoming a doctor than succeeding in say engineering-no degree, but a lot of interest, law-obviously not, business- i wanted to get my masters and then head onto a career in business

unfortunately I didnt have time to apply to this, again no money for applications and my dad wouldn't allow this to happen as long as i tried, i had difficulty coming up with recommendation letters as well. so i cant really apply to masters program for this fall. however, I do have the opportunity to go into drexel postbacc this fall-application deadline isn't over yet and i just applied and I also got a summer position to work at for this summer. So thats what I'm planning on doing. I guess i could work for a year and then get a masters, but i feel like thats a lot of time spent in between working and unsure whether i can have a job that long.

How old are you again?

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like you need to go and get a MBA and your dad needs to go to med school! :D

I got a MBA first because I was unsure what the hell I wanted to do with my life when I was in my early 20's. Glad I did. It helped me grow up with the business mentality and I think it justed helped me overall.

If you want business, then just make sure you do not get into any med school this round. Just pretend you are applying and then you will have to do a MBA or something else to make it.

Believe me! You do not want to be a doc if you do not have love for it. I love every minute I am at the hospital and can not wait until I get to be a MD.

I had a similar problem with my parents wanting me to be a lawyer. I got accepted and even went the first week or so. But, I did a dual degree and deferred law school (never went back) for a year and then just got my MBA. Best decision I ever made. Do what you want to do!!!

You have to live your life for you and not your parents. Eventually, you have to man up and set them straight so that they can see you are an adult now and they need to respect your authority over your life.

Do you...or they will sure as hell try.

How old are you again?

was that sarcasm? mocking? I dont know. Or perhaps you just want to know my age-I dont know why, that i'm young and can do w/e i want to?... I'm 22...

was that sarcasm? mocking? I dont know. Or perhaps you just want to know my age-I dont know why, that i'm young and can do w/e i want to?... I'm 22...

I think EEL is just questioning why your Dad has such a big say in your class selection, etc.

Hypothetically speaking, maybe Dad is a first generation immigrant who worked 4 jobs to make sure his kids could have a better life, and micromanaged their educations so they don't make a mistake on the way to a prestigious, lucrative, respectable career and comfortable lifestyle that he could never have, and that career and lifestyle seem to be only hard work away, and not wanting that career and lifestyle is unthinkable to him, and this is the dominant life theme for his 22 year old kid.

Can't just tell your dad to **** off, given all that. Well, you can, but it's a lot easier if your parents raised you on Nintendo and soccer and made sure your self-esteem was intact after the neighborhood bully called you a ******.

OP, legally you stopped being your father's toy to play with at 18. Realistically, any control he has over you, you're choosing to give him. As sucky as the alternative is of pissing off your dad and not getting his money, you're still choosing your situation. If you're letting him decide what to do with your life, you're stunting your growth and delaying adulthood.

Hypothetically speaking, maybe Dad is a first generation immigrant who worked 4 jobs to make sure his kids could have a better life, and micromanaged their educations so they don't make a mistake on the way to a prestigious, lucrative, respectable career and comfortable lifestyle that he could never have, and that career and lifestyle seem to be only hard work away, and not wanting that career and lifestyle is unthinkable to him, and this is the dominant life theme for his 22 year old kid.

Can't just tell your dad to **** off, given all that. Well, you can, but it's a lot easier if your parents raised you on Nintendo and soccer and made sure your self-esteem was intact after the neighborhood bully called you a ******.

OP, legally you stopped being your father's toy to play with at 18. Realistically, any control he has over you, you're choosing to give him. As sucky as the alternative is of pissing off your dad and not getting his money, you're still choosing your situation. If you're letting him decide what to do with your life, you're stunting your growth and delaying adulthood.

Well said!!

no no, i totally understand...believe me i've been told this b4 and I've known it b4 I was told. The quesion is what options do I have? where can I go for help regarding say finding good jobs, making contacts, finding out what I want...I've been geared towards medicine so long I have no idea what I want to do, there's also that fear of failure and risk taking in a world where non-medicine means job loss, lay offs etc... do you know what I mean? Thats part of it. also, I dont know where the hell to start!!!

I think EEL is just questioning why your Dad has such a big say in your class selection, etc.

:clap: Jpc wins points for that one!! :D I can understand to a point why you were inclined to listen to your dad during that time. One of my friends wanted to go into Psychology and her parents said they wouldn't pay for her school then so she stayed in business admin. My first or second year of college I wanted to switch from accounting (my dad's idea) to criminal justice. My dad said no and since I was used to listening to him I chose psychology instead. Your journey through college though is to become more mature and better able to make your own choices. If you choose to become a doctor because your dad "said so" you will be miserable. And you know what? Life is too short to live your life in a certain way for the benefit of others. You're an adult and it's time to decide what you want to do and do it. :luck:

no no, i totally understand...believe me i've been told this b4 and I've known it b4 I was told. The quesion is what options do I have? where can I go for help regarding say finding good jobs, making contacts, finding out what I want...I've been geared towards medicine so long I have no idea what I want to do, there's also that fear of failure and risk taking in a world where non-medicine means job loss, lay offs etc... do you know what I mean? Thats part of it. also, I dont know where the hell to start!!!

PM coming, young padawan.

thank you. let me elaborate on my sad story

I started off never really arguing with my parents about going to med school( i justified it saying i'd make so much money who cares what i do)

my parents were the helicopter types-hovering over me, watching everythign i did...when i went to college it followed in the worst ways. I did not have good study habits, slacked off, goofed around-basically put things off to the last minute and kept telling myself I had next year. I hated the courses i took cuz my dad picked them out for me(he insisted on seeing my grades and knew what classes i took-his excuse, im paying the bills bla bla) so i dumbly agreed and took the classes i hated.

he picked out my arts and humanities courses too( i was a science major and my school required outside of science courses in humanities as well) based on the assumption that they would look good on my resume-i hated them and did poorly. I did poorly on the science courses after sophomore year-after I did all the prereqs for mcat, I did really well in gen chem/bio/physics/orgo but tanked on biochem/genetics/cell bio and so forth. every summer I came home with my dad making me do things i ddnt want to-making me volunteer for the bare minimum so i could put it on my resume, he never asked if being doctor was what i wanted, etc. and didn't care for shadowing even though I thought it was important to figure out if thats what i wanted to do.

I spent an entire summer slogging away on the mcats and ended up with a 14 on physical, 11 on verbal and 12 on bio

I studied a lot...real hard. for the MCATs...but thats it, i burnt out and my junior year tanked( took the mcats august of junior year). same with my senior year and only now im picking up-plus the family life has been horrible for me.

and he didn't let me apply anywhere else(dont have money to pay for apps and only recently got a job) so i basically tanked on the md applications cuz i didnt have a great gpa but he was like oh you'll get in somewhere bla bla.

Ok, a few problems I see here...

1) you said you did worse in your Jr and Sr years. In order to make up for a poor GPA, you need to be able to show improvement. Yes, the MCAT will help a bit, but it's not going to save you if you have been going downhill.

2)You did bad in science classes! Biochem, cell bio, genetics... those are a big part of med school. If you had a low GPA, a higher science GPA may also make up for it, but low science is a red flag.

3)If you are not sure about being a doctor, don't do it! You can get a job with a science degree that does not require med school. Or, you could continue your science studies and get a masters in an area that you are interested in. Don't waste 8 more years in something that you aren't sure of. If you are still wanting to follow the med school path, maybe just take a year or two off and work. Then see if you still are interested in medicine.

4) You really need to go out on your own for a bit, get away from your dad's oversight and get into the world. Really, you are so young, a few years off would be great for you to decide which path you want the next 45 years of your life to take.

Good Luck!

what are the average GPA/MCAts for entering DO students? I havn't found any statistics online. Can anyone shed light on this? I'll have a 2.9 when I graduate with a 37 MCAT....

Thanks.
Hey I was wondering how you studied for the MCAT.

I am in a similar situation grade wise. I was hoping you could tell me some pointers in regards to the MCAT.

Whatever you do, don't pursue medicine (at least right now). I say this because you obviously don't really know what you want to do with your life. Everything you are doing is for your parents and that's going to make you miserable in the end. Plus, part of getting into medical school is the interview and if your hearts not in it, that'll probably show (and you'll need to explain the sub-par performance in undergrad). Are you still in school? If so, try seeing if there's a career center you can go to or career counseling you can get. They may be able to help you figure things out.