Entering medical school without officially graduating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samurai5511

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I stated in a previous post, my best friend will not graduate this Spring 2021 because of a mistake in his schedule. This is a problem because he has an acceptance to medical school for Fall 2021. The earliest course he found to fulfill this requirement ends July 13th. The advisor said that the degree will not be officially conferred until mid-August if he takes this route. His orientation for medical school starts July 27th. He is going to call the medical schools next week and let them know the situation. If he finishes the course then technically graduates later, would this allow him to enter medical school without having to take deferment? Or, would the medical schools only allow you to start if you have officially graduated.
I want to see what you guys say because we are planning to be roommates. Should I find someone else or, is there a possibility the medical schools will accept these terms?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suspect that one is going to get 180 different answers with the 180 different medical schools in the United States on this one.

I surmise that if the school's policy is that one has to have a baccalaureate degree in order to matriculate then your friend will have to lose his acceptance

Reactions: 1 user
Like stated above, no one knows for sure, and every school will be different.
When I asked my school if I could finish my Masters degree which ran through August 15th (I matriculated on July 15th), they said, "Yes, so long as you already have a bachelors, we do not care."

I would assume that Goro is probably correct in that your buddy is more than likely going to need his degree conferred before he can matriculate as stated by almost every school in their requirements for matriculation.

However, with COVID, there may be some leniency, but your best bet is to see what the school says to him when he asks about it...which he should do, immediately 8 am on monday morning.

Reactions: 1 users