Average GPA's and MCAT scores for post bacs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc3341

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was just wondering what average GPA's and MCAT's are/were for those of you accepted into a post bac program???

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

From my research...it looks like the averages are 27 MCAT and 3.2 GPA.

It really depends on the type of postbac program you're looking for. I notice that a lot of people posting don't specify whether they're looking for 1) a program for career changers and those with little or no science background or 2) a program for premeds who want to improve their low GPA or strengthen their credentials by taking higher-level science courses or getting a Master's. The GPA and test score requirements are different.

If you're looking for #1, average GPA and SAT scores for the highly regarded programs are 3.5-3.6 and 1350. I got into Bryn Mawr and Goucher's programs with a 3.7 and a 1460. However, for other postbac programs, the requirements are lower. For example, from what I've heard, you only need a 3.0 to get into Columbia's and Harvard Extension's programs.

I'm not so sure about #2, but others can help you out there.

***EDIT - Ooops, I just realized that your original question specified MCATs, so I assume you're looking for #2 types of programs. Sorry about that!***