Average hospitalist salary in florida?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kalogada

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
What is the average hospitalist salary in florida? Whether that be FM/IM. I’m a Ms3, my attendings have given me wide ranges from 280-320 and upwards of 400 for nocturnists.

Thank you.
Deciding between Im/psych.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Salaries I’ve seen are $325k+ 7 on 7 off. Round and go. Kinda in a bigger city but a focus on rural communities.

If money is what matters to you. Do psych. You can rake in dough doing tele medicine from what I’ve seen.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What is the overall job market like for physicians in Florida? I know California and the Northeast are pretty saturated since they're "desirable". Is this true for coastal Florida too? Or is it similar to the South overall (ie, good)?

Last edited:
What is the overall job market like for physicians in Florida? I know California and the Northeast are pretty saturated since they're "desirable". Is this true for coastal Florida too? Or is it similar to the South overall?
Florida is saturated in general. A house that was $1200 to rent a few years ago is now trying to charge $4000. Its disgusting and if I could talk my family into leaving the state I would 100% find some rural area to practice when I am done.

Hello,
What is the average hospitalist salary in florida? Whether that be FM/IM. I’m a Ms3, my attendings have given me wide ranges from 280-320 and upwards of 400 for nocturnists.

Thank you.
Deciding between Im/psych.
What is the overall job market like for physicians in Florida? I know California and the Northeast are pretty saturated since they're "desirable". Is this true for coastal Florida too? Or is it similar to the South overall (ie, good)?

Physician job market in Florida is saturated near the big cities and coastal areas as would be expected. Florida was one of the most popular states to relocate to during the pandemic, especially from HCOL like California or NYC area. Florida's no state income taxes which makes it attractive, but that's offset by high costs in other areas like higher car and housing, property taxes Also, for physicians the malpractice environment is not ideal and risk seems to be on the higher site, especially in South Florida.

High 200s-low 300s seems about right right now for 7 on/7off daytime hospitalist (before counting extra shifts) in the more desirable areas, though you'll likely be seeing a high census (averaging over 20 pts per 12-hour rounding shift) to make that much, especially as a new grad. To hit mid-$300ks or higher you would have to pull quite a bit of extra shifts or work nights. Sadly pay was pretty similar to this around 5 years ago; hospitalist pay, like physician pay across most specialties, has not kept up with inflation in the past few years (unless one seems more patients or works more shifts to make up for it).

If you're still an MS3, keep in mind that the market could change significantly by the time you get out of residency. Note that hospitalist job market is starting to get saturated (it was much more in demand about 10 years ago), and I suspect it will get even more saturated in the next few years. Factors that point to saturation include: the overall negativity toward primary care among most FM and IM grads that has been ongoing (which leads more grads to choose inpatient medicine), any FM or IM grad can do HM (and those are the 2 largest specialties out there and very easy to Match into for residency), CMS reimbursement cuts, and now increasing use of NPs and PAs.

Hospitalist is a burn out machine. It's not a game that many play for >10 years in my experience.

South FL might be in the 250k. Central/North FL is around 270-280k