New grad IM hospitalist salary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1095841

Strongly considering going into IM, but want to go with my eyes wide open. Also want to be in California

What is the typical (i.e. median) salary for an IM hospitalist who just finished residency at Kaiser Permanente in Nor Cal?
Is it different in SoCal?
And what is the typical IM hospitalist salary at an academic hospital (e.g. Stanford, UCLA)?

Edit: I don't mean residency at KP, I mean residency anywhere and then trying to work at KP. Sorry wording was ambiguous.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
Strongly considering going into IM, but want to go with my eyes wide open. Also want to be in California

What is the typical (i.e. median) salary for an IM hospitalist who just finished residency at Kaiser Permanente in Nor Cal?
And what is the typical IM hospitalist salary at an academic hospital (e.g. Stanford, UCLA)?
How does one even begin to answer these questions?

Strongly considering going into IM…
If you’re still in med school, just calm down and consider your choices. Go into a specialty because you like it and because you can see yourself doing it for 40+ years, but please not for the money. Any doctor in any specialty will have a decent salary (at least top 5% of income earners in the US). But if you don’t like what you do, it doesn’t matter if you make 250K or 500K, you will hate life.

First of all, you don’t get to choose where you go to residency. There are ways to improve your chances at attending residency at a certain location, but there’s no guarantees when it comes to residency applications especially in a competitive area like Cali. Second, your salary won’t depend on where you attend residency. A hospitalist is a hospitalist is a hospitalist whether they come from residency in the middle of nowhere Arkansas, cali, or Harvard/MGH. Last, If you need the median salary for any specialty, this information is actually public and googlable. Check the medscape yearly physician compensation report. Although, it does not always paint the full picture, but this is a good starting point.

what is the typical IM hospitalist salary at an academic hospital (e.g. Stanford, UCLA)?
Unless someone works at these places, difficult to give you any details. Salaries not only vary by location, but also by number of hours worked vs RVU based, whether you do procedures or not, your patient volume, the physician’s efficiency, etc… Two Hospitalists’ salaries at the same hospital may vary vastly based on these factors and others.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the confusion; I meant finish residency anywhere and then try to work at KP. I know I can't control where I do residency.

Edit: I don't mean residency at KP, I mean residency anywhere and then trying to work at KP. Sorry wording was ambiguous.
This has been asked on this forum before, IIRC. But short answer is it is likely lower than average for hospitalist, which is expected for KP and academic jobs, and in saturated locations like California. Last I heard, probably low to high $200ks and has not kept up with inflation. Current national average or median for hospitalist is around $320-350k depending on which source your look at. Combine that with high taxes and COL in California, you'll likely be among the poorest physicians in the country unless you have a high-earning spouse or some other significant source of side gig income.

Also note that KP and most academic jobs do not offer any RVU pay (so you won't get paid any more seeing more volume); some have reported that KP has some of the most restrictive contracts out there in terms of what you can do during your free time. This is pretty much universal for them regardless of specialty.

But if you're still just in med school this could all change (for better or worse) by the time you get out of residency. IM is a good choice in terms of flexibility so you have multiple options down the line.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
what is the typical IM hospitalist salary at an academic hospital (e.g. Stanford, UCLA)?
Unless someone works at these places, difficult to give you any details. Salaries not only vary by location, but also by number of hours worked vs RVU based, whether you do procedures or not, your patient volume, the physician’s efficiency, etc… Two Hospitalists’ salaries at the same hospital may vary vastly based on these factors and others.
This is likely be publicly available information for public medical schools in most states; one can just look up individual's attending's salaries on the state's respective public database. Same goes for VA physicians (which can be found on federal employee salary database). Of course it alone says nothing about how much the physician worked that year, their rank, RVUs, or what other non-clinical responsibilities they're getting paid for.

You can lookup UC salaries. I know a few hospitalists there, they're all earning $300k+, though not sure what their schedule is or how busy they are. Kaiser is probably roughly the same

280-300k

Reactions: 1 users