Average Joe Thread: No bragging allowed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Average Joanna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is for the student who is pretty darn happy even if they didn't get an interview at Yale. Go ahead and list those community programs and be very proud of yourself. Don't hang your head low just because people are sad that they got rejected from Northwestern. Chin up my dear. I'm proud of you! :D
You are still going to make an excellent doctor!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be the first to go...

UIC
Advocate Illinois Masonic
GRMERC/Michigan State
William Beaumont
Providence Hospital, MI
Hurley Medical Center/Michigan State
St. Joseph Hospital Program, Chicago IL
Case Western Reserve (metroheath)/Cleveland Clinic
Pennsylvania Hospital Program
St. Joseph Mercy, MI

...and I'm proud!

I have mostly community program interviews and some smaller academic programs. I think these programs will fit me better. I actually considering canceling my Drexel interview because I don't think it will be a good fit for me.
Already interviewed any Albany and SUNY Upstate.
Up and coming
Danbury
Drexel
St. Francis
Bridgeport
Abington
Penn State
Abington
York
Reading
St. Luke's or Lankenau (schedule the same day...need to choose b/w them?)
Leigh High Valley

Members don't see this ad :)
I am curious to know where Abington is. Thanks! Congrats on your interviews.

I love this thread! I have a few university programs but definitly feel like the community programs are a better fit...and it appears that the university programs agree (at least from all the rejections of the last week!) :)
I received invites at Lankenau and St. Barnabas today...after a week of nothing but rejects! Very happy. Confidence restored and now my interview list is complete so I can start cancelling some :)

Univ. of AZ
Phoenix Integrated
Banner Good Sam
UMDNJ- both New Brunswick and Camden (12/1 and 12/8)
Maimonides- Brooklyn: Pretty sure I am going to cancel
Monmouth Medical Center (12/7)
New York Methodist (12/6)
Western Pennsylvania Hospital: Definitly going to cancel
Pennsylvania Hospital (12/15)
Thomas Jefferson (12/14)
Drexel (waitlisted)
Abington PA (11/30)
Einstein PA (1/8)
St. Barnabas- NJ (12/16)
Lankenau PA (1/10)

hello my peeps! I applied to some university programs mainly for location but I really love community programs! Tired of the competitive environment... need some loving and nurturing!:p

My list so far:
Kaiser SF
Kaiser Oakland
Kaiser Santa Clara
Santa Clara Valley
Cedars-Sinai
White Memorial
Loma Linda
Phoenix Intergrated
Banner Good Sumaritan
U. of Arizona
UC Davis
LAC+USC
UCSD
U. of Hawaii (not sure yet-any advise?)

And there are still several programs that I haven't heard from...:smuggrin:

by the way, how many interviews do you all plan on going to and ranking? I've heard ten, but wasn't sure if that applies to us average joes as well :confused:

Hello All, I am happy to see this thread because I didn't apply to any Ivy's etc...because I did my undergrad and med school at an Ivy league school and didn't enjoyed my time there. Community programs give residents more attention and they don't work you to death that you don't have to time to read.

So here is my list:

Long Island Jewish
Northshore
Suny Stonybrook
Maimonedes
NY Methodist
Lenox Hilll
Metropolitan Hospital
UMDNJ-New Brunswick

Good luck and enjoy your interviews!

I've applied to some smaller university programs, and some commnunity hospital programs. Not only didn I not apply to ivy leagues, but it didn't even cross my mind. I told myself not to get donw on myself after seeing people go to all those big name schools, but I am darn proud of the interviews I've got so far.:D

Drexel, Philly PA-11/18
Temple, Philly PA-11/29
Christiana Care, Newark DE-12/1
UMDNJ/Camden, NJ-12/8
Buffalo University, NY-12/13
SUNY Syracuse, NY-12/15
St Francis, Hartford CT-1/18

You should definitely look at University of Hawaii. I interviewed there last year and it was a little too community for me, but a great program if that's what you're looking for! Very friendly residents and staff, and you can't go wrong having all those sunny beaches to nap on post-call!

hello my peeps! I applied to some university programs mainly for location but I really love community programs! Tired of the competitive environment... need some loving and nurturing!:p

My list so far:
Kaiser SF
Kaiser Oakland
Kaiser Santa Clara
Santa Clara Valley
Cedars-Sinai
White Memorial
Loma Linda
Phoenix Intergrated
Banner Good Sumaritan
U. of Arizona
UC Davis
LAC+USC
UCSD
U. of Hawaii (not sure yet-any advise?)

And there are still several programs that I haven't heard from...:smuggrin:

by the way, how many interviews do you all plan on going to and ranking? I've heard ten, but wasn't sure if that applies to us average joes as well :confused: