Average MCAT score for Vet matriculants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mongrel

Assoc. Prof. Dogsuit
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize for wasting anyone's time, but I searched the forums/internet and couldn't find this information. For the vet schools that accept the MCAT, what is the average score for matriculants. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I apologize for wasting anyone's time, but I searched the forums/internet and couldn't find this information. For the vet schools that accept the MCAT, what is the average score for matriculants. Thanks.

The VAST majority if pre-vet students take the GRE, not the MCAT. They used to take the VCAT, before it was discontinued for some unknown reason in 2003. In fact, many vet schools don't even accept the MCAT. So this information isn't well-published these days, and if you find it someone, it can't be very accurate since not every school accepts it and most students haven't even taken it. In 2006, only ~140 out of 5000+ applicants (on the VMCAS application, which doesn't include every school) have taken the MCAT. Why do you want to know? All of your other posts indicate that you're pre-med...

A buddy of mine was a pre-med, had applied to several med schools, had an interview or two but never got in. He took a year off, applied to vet school and got in... he had only taken the MCAT (sorry, I have no idea what his scores were!) He's now a third year at CSU, and got in on his first try. He didn't have to take any extra classes since all of his pre-reqs were the same and they accepted the MCAT, so if you are interested it can be done.

Best advice is to contact the schools you are interested in and ask if they accept it and what their average scores have been from the smaller number of people who have applied with the MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Best advice is to contact the schools you are interested in and ask if they accept it and what their average scores have been from the smaller number of people who have applied with the MCAT.
Most schools publish (on their website) a bunch of stats about each year's accepted/matriculated class, like their undergrad GPA, degrees earned, average GRE score, etc. Maybe the schools that accept the MCAT also publish their average MCAT stats? Looking online would be easier than calling everyone. Of course you'd first have to find which schools accept the MCAT, but if you wanted to apply without taking the GRE you'd have to do this anyway.

(My unsolicited advice, mongrel, would be to just take the GRE... Sure, it's another $130, and beware issues arising from the format change in July, but it would significantly broaden your reach in terms of where you could apply. Unless your absolute tip-top first choice school accepts the MCAT and you're going to risk a year just applying there...)

Hey, thanks for the advice everyone. I am heavily pre-med, but my rural background has me thinking twice about vet school. My in-state school is one that accepts the MCAT, but apparently doesn't publish the matriculants' stats on their website.

Actually, if you email the Admissions advisor for the college that you are interested in, they will usually tell you what the average MCAT and GRE scores for matriculated applicants happened to be. :)

Hey, thanks for the advice everyone. I am heavily pre-med, but my rural background has me thinking twice about vet school. My in-state school is one that accepts the MCAT, but apparently doesn't publish the matriculants' stats on their website.

from the data I have seen... roughly 8 or 9 in each section (BS>VR>PS average varying by ~ .5). I can't remember where I saw this... but when I find the info again, I'll post it. (I know I'm a med student, but my brother is going Vet and blah blah blah, so yea that's how I came across the info in case you were wondering =)

EDIT: Lat has good advice... calling the school always works (and at least there's not that many for you to get in contact with, good luck!)