Average neurologist salary (non academic)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What's the perfect # of patients seen in an outpatient setting each day / overall for a full work week (e.g. 4.5 day clinic, no weekends)?
What's the perfect # of patients seen in an outpatient setting each day / overall for a full work week (e.g. 4.5 day clinic, no weekends)?

I think that depends largely on your practice, how fast you are, and your definition of "perfect," but to me it seems most people slot 40-60 minutes for new patients and 20-30 minutes for follow-ups. I know some people slot shorter visits, but I think that (excluding headache follow-ups) there is a minimum time you can allot for the typical neurology patient.

The above is for general clinics. Some subspecialty clinics (particularly academic) take longer per patient.

Yea I don't think 40-60 minutes for new patient and 20-30 min for f/u will work in a private practice. Might get you to 180k-220k; which is not bad.
But if you want to be financially successful, many pp will do 20-30 min for new and 10-15 for f/u. Plus double bookings. Usually they have 20-24 on schedule and 15-20 show up. Plus procedures.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
How does one go about joining a group like this? Is it residency strength or networking that matters more?
There are many groups like that in almost all regions. You can look into recruitment company websites/AAN or just google local neurology practices/multispecialty groups, even primary care groups and give them a cold call. Everyone is looking for a neurologist.
for example- This is just the last email i got from AAN career center. 500k+.

Reactions: 2 users
There are many groups like that in almost all regions. You can look into recruitment company websites/AAN or just google local neurology practices/multispecialty groups, even primary care groups and give them a cold call. Everyone is looking for a neurologist.

What’s the catch here? Sounds too good to be true. Also are fluoroscopically guided procedures and epidural injections (mentioned in the description) a part of neuro residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
You gotta see lots of volume to make decent compensation in private practice. I have seen neuro guys see 30 patients in a 9 am to 11:30 am time frame. That’s double booking every 15 minute slot! Now many of these practices are customized to producing that type of volume. You have to be super efficient but also all the litttle things the office support staff are trained to do helps in that regard. One office I visited they had two assigned staff just for putting in all the doctors orders. The MAs were doing the MOCA/MMSE testing before the doctors even walked into the room. The MAs were setting up the encounter notes (minus off course the HPI, exam, and assessment). The front office staff was on the ball into getting the patients into the exam rooms on time no matter what. Now, the benefits of private practice typically mean more freedom and a much higher ceiling in terms of compensation.

Now when you work for a big group or health system, you have typically can see much less patients and make close to average compensation. You can take 45-60 minutes for news and 30 minutes for follow ups. That’s cause you are either salaried or your overhead is being subsidized to at least some extent. The cons are lack of freedom as your schedule can be dictated by the admins and there is a lower ceiling for potential compensation.

Reactions: 4 users
What’s the catch here? Sounds too good to be true. Also are fluoroscopically guided procedures and epidural injections (mentioned in the description) a part of neuro residency?
There's no catch other than high volumes. Likely seeing 20-25 patients a day, plus reading EEGs. Some of them are doing EMGs/Sleep/Botox etc. There are neurologists/groups making over 700k. You just gotta hustle.

Reactions: 3 users
In private practice, the highest compensation comes from being a part of a group that functions efficiently and captures the revenue from neurological testing including EEG, ambulatory EEG, vascular studies, vestibular evaluation, EMG/NCV, autonomic testing, cognitive testing.

A typical schedule would be 30 minutes for new patient, 15 for return with 9/10 hours of patient contact. A typical day would be 5 new patients with around 15–20 return/testing patients.

In private practice, the highest compensation comes from being a part of a group that functions efficiently and captures the revenue from neurological testing including EEG, ambulatory EEG, vascular studies, vestibular evaluation, EMG/NCV, autonomic testing, cognitive testing.

A typical schedule would be 30 minutes for new patient, 15 for return with 9/10 hours of patient contact. A typical day would be 5 new patients with around 15–20 return/testing patients.
Are most PP “eat what you kill” or “profit sharing model.” In other words, do partners who see the most patients get the highest comp packages or is it based on how much the practice brings in?

Reactions: 1 user
There's a practice I saw where several providers were producing over 10k wRVUs with the highest being 14k in one year....

How is the possible? Wouldn't patient safety and satisfaction take big hits? Anyone have experience in a practice like this?

There's a practice I saw where several providers were producing over 10k wRVUs with the highest being 14k in one year....

How is the possible? Wouldn't patient safety and satisfaction take big hits? Anyone have experience in a practice like this?
Local neurologist in my town sees about 24 patients, 4 days a week and on Fridays does Botox, reads EEGs, Sleep studies etc. About 130 encounters/procedures a week = Over 6000/46 weeks. Which is between 10k-11k RVUs.

You mean physicians...

I guess nurses have done a great job in making us adopt their lingo.

Reactions: 6 users

$300k working 7 days a month, $2.3 million net worth 8 years away from residency. Locums is the way to go I guess.

I have seen this and if not for family might have done it. Working 12 weeks a year and straight chillin for 40 sounds like a good deal.

I have seen this and if not for family might have done it. Working 12 weeks a year and straight chillin for 40 sounds like a good deal.
My dad used to work away from home 3 weeks a month when I was little. While that’s a bit too much, I think one week a month away is quite doable once the kids are 5-6 years old (if one does have kids). This varies from family to family ofcourse, and can be a deal breaker for some.

The person mentioned in that video did a sleep fellowship- I’m not sure if that contributes to her earnings in any way, but a CNP would’ve probably helped even more in terms of compensation.

What’s more interesting is how she used to earn $480k working 40 hours a week when she held a steady job. That’s a 90th percentile earning- and she didn’t seem to have a lot of problems getting that job. It was a waiver job to boot (which IMGs need to do).

You mean physicians...

I guess nurses have done a great job in making us adopt their lingo.
Thanks for pointing this out!! Physicians need to point these things out wherever/whenever we see them. With medical students, colleagues and patients especially. This false equivalency that is being subliminally and openly promoted is extremely dangerous for patients and everyone.

Everyone here should consider joining 'Physicians for Patient Protection' on social media and/or their website. They are the only group/medical association who are seriously standing up against this.

Are most PP “eat what you kill” or “profit sharing model.” In other words, do partners who see the most patients get the highest comp packages or is it based on how much the practice brings in?
I can only speak for my own situation. Each physician/owner's productivity is tracked. Overhead is split into a fraction that is shared equally and a fraction that is divided proportional to productivity to reflect utilization of resources. The difference between what you collect, minus the calculated overhead is what you take home.