You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Average number of ICU beds per MD?
Started by leviathan
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
**** no. I solo cover one geographic, 12-bed ICU at my hospital that has 42 (technically up to 48) ICU beds. If we're unexpectedly man down, I may cover down and split a unit with one of my colleagues, or take the consult/triage phone, and then get a PA/NP to assist with admissions.
Not the norm, but unfortunately these jobs do exist. Currently I have 10-15 patient encounters a day on average with an NP/PA.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That's too much. Don't even think about getting a job like that.
Average 12-16 with an np helping here and I could get by ok without the Np, less so on the higher end. We occasionally flex up to 20 and in that case np is essential to not be there 18+ hours
When I started at my hospital a few years ago I had 15 patients on my service. We've since restructured and hired other intensivists. Now it's generally 8-12 on my service, plus another few consults / admits etc.
24-30 is unsafe, and any hospital that would do that will not stand by you when there's a bad outcome. Do not take a job like that.
24-30 is unsafe, and any hospital that would do that will not stand by you when there's a bad outcome. Do not take a job like that.
Last edited:
Years ago, I did some locums at an HCA hospital through their internal staffing company, ICC. My census was routinely 20-28 between two ICUs, solo. Not worth the money. A current colleague of mine came from another HCA hospital, where his solo coverage (ok, technically, he had an intern that was capped at about six patients) list was routinely 30+. He finally quit when he was handed a 46 patient list.When I started at my hospital a few years ago I had 15 patients on my service. We've since restructured and hired other intensivists. Now it's generally 8-12 on my service, plus another few consults / admits etc.
24-30 is unsafe, and any hospital that would do that will not stand by you when there's a bad outcome. Do not take a job like that.
These places do exist, we should let others know that they exist, and actively discourage people from going there. Such greedy entities will constantly try to prey on physicians, and push the limits of what they can get away with, to maximize income for the administrators.
Thanks for the info guys/gals!
I don't know if these were solo coverage or not, just the job descriptions said these were X bed ICUs and it wasn't clear if you were the only person or not. Sounds like that probably isn't the case!
I don't know if these were solo coverage or not, just the job descriptions said these were X bed ICUs and it wasn't clear if you were the only person or not. Sounds like that probably isn't the case!
I know of places that have 2-3 providers. Would they make it anymore desirable ?I'm looking at ICU job ads in the US, and a lot of them are advertising for 24-30 bed ICUs. As far as I can tell these jobs are solo positions and you're covering the entire ICU on your own? Is this a typical job for you guys?
Two to three PHYSICIANS splitting 24-30 patients is pretty good. One physician with two to three PA/NPs covering 24-30 still sucks, as you're still responsible for all of those patients the PA/NPs see, you just have fewer full notes to write.I know of places that have 2-3 providers. Would they make it anymore desirable ?
Got it. Okay I'm glad I didnt take that gig then.Two to three PHYSICIANS splitting 24-30 patients is pretty good. One physician with two to three PA/NPs covering 24-30 still sucks, as you're still responsible for all of those patients the PA/NPs see, you just have fewer full notes to write.
Two to three PHYSICIANS splitting 24-30 patients is pretty good. One physician with two to three PA/NPs covering 24-30 still sucks, as you're still responsible for all of those patients the PA/NPs see, you just have fewer full notes to write.
That’s how my hospital is set up unfortunate. 22 bed icu. Another 10-15 stepdown patients. Normal ICU census is about 16-17, however it can spike up quickly. I’ve routinely had 25 ICU contacts in a day.
3 NPs so I don’t have to write any notes. However dealing with the NPs fetish for consulting on everything, albumin, seroquel, and midodrine gets real tiring real fast.
Unrelated, but in the interest of not starting a new thread, how common are ICU jobs which require one to be on-site for less than the usual 12 hours. Even with 7 on/7 off, that **** tends to get old fast.
My ICU week I cover the OR and ICU 24 hours. After last case and no active things in the ICU, I can be home call. Then I get 7 days off.Unrelated, but in the interest of not starting a new thread, how common are ICU jobs which require one to be on-site for less than the usual 12 hours. Even with 7 on/7 off, that **** tends to get old fast.
My gig has a soft 8-10 hour requirement but nobody enforces it. Nights can be from home and are admits only so can knock an admit out then leave if desired.Unrelated, but in the interest of not starting a new thread, how common are ICU jobs which require one to be on-site for less than the usual 12 hours. Even with 7 on/7 off, that **** tends to get old fast.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When you say nights do you mean rounding on the unit and being in house during the day then on call and coming in for admits at night?My gig has a soft 8-10 hour requirement but nobody enforces it. Nights can be from home and are admits only so can knock an admit out then leave if desired.
Or that you’re on a block of nights but can go home and sleep for part of the night?
Because it it’s the second one that sounds lovely.
It is the second one day shift ends at 6pWhen you say nights do you mean rounding on the unit and being in house during the day then on call and coming in for admits at night?
Or that you’re on a block of nights but can go home and sleep for part of the night?
Because it it’s the second one that sounds lovely.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 14
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 5K