average PsyD GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TMS@1987

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what is the average PsyD GPA? because i heard it was Something like 3.85 and That scarses the crap out of me because i am not sure I can swing That. I mean, don't get me wrong, I get good grades, I ace all of my psych classes, but 3.85 is ridiculously high and I am not a genius. is this really what I need to get into a PsyD program?

Members don't see this ad.

What is it for a Ph.D.? For crying out loud...Seems like a 3.5 should be adequate for a Ph.D. program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely not a 3.85 across all programs. Think the average for a PhD is around a 3.7, PsyD is a bit lower (3.5-3.6 if I had to guess).

Of course it varies by program. Some programs it is certainly as high as 3.85 or higher. Think the lowest I've heard was a 3.4 or so.

T4C is right about it being a self-selecting group. Especially given that psychology is notoriously an "easy" major at most schools...I don't think anyone is impressed by a 3.5 in psych. If you're majoring in Time Travel at MIT, than it might get some attention.

Good news is that at least for PhDs, GPA is mainly used as a cutoff. Once you pass that bar, its your research experience, LoRs, publications/presentations that get you in. Someone with a 3.6 with some serious involvement in research (meaning supervising others, managing a large research study, etc.) will beat someone with a 3.8 who hasn't done those things pretty much every time.

Definitely not a 3.85 across all programs. Think the average for a PhD is around a 3.7, PsyD is a bit lower (3.5-3.6 if I had to guess).

Of course it varies by program. Some programs it is certainly as high as 3.85 or higher. Think the lowest I've heard was a 3.4 or so.

T4C is right about it being a self-selecting group. Especially given that psychology is notoriously an "easy" major at most schools...I don't think anyone is impressed by a 3.5 in psych. If you're majoring in Time Travel at MIT, than it might get some attention.

Those means sound about right for my program. I think more along the 3.7 end.

I find it interesting what you say about psych being a nortiously easy major. I guess I went to an unusual school, because my program was not considered easy. In fact our research methods class was the required "C or better" to stay in the program and every quarter 1/3 of the students fail it. We had more people switching out of psych than into it.

3.5 and up seems to make sense. 3.7 seens to make more sense.

I wouldn't panic, graduate school grades are VERY inflated. If you DO the work, perform well in your clinical/research work--you'll be fine:)

3.5 and up seems to make sense. 3.7 seens to make more sense.

I wouldn't panic, graduate school grades are VERY inflated. If you DO the work, perform well in your clinical/research work--you'll be fine:)

Wouldn't it be apt to also mention that junior/senior GPA, and major GPA are looked at most heavily by programs?

Wouldn't it be apt to also mention that junior/senior GPA, and major GPA are looked at most heavily by programs?

I'm not sure how wide-spread this practice is amongst programs. I know some programs look at the overall GPA and the major GPA (if psychology), though I'm sure that also varies by program.

-t

I read these posts and get sad. I have spent 2 years doing research after graduating college (will be 3 by the time I apply to PhD programs) to try and make up for my 3.4 GPA in undergrad (3.62 in psych). I just didn't have the foresight that my grades would be so crucially important for graduate school and double majored in international relations which was an extremely competitive major at my school. i went to an ivy league school, graduated with honors in psychology, and thought my 3.4 rocked. But when I started looking into graduate school I became totally embarrassed by my GPA and am praying I can get in despite of it!

anyone else in the same boat?

I read these posts and get sad. I have spent 2 years doing research after graduating college (will be 3 by the time I apply to PhD programs) to try and make up for my 3.4 GPA in undergrad (3.62 in psych). I just didn't have the foresight that my grades would be so crucially important for graduate school and double majored in international relations which was an extremely competitive major at my school. i went to an ivy league school, graduated with honors in psychology, and thought my 3.4 rocked. But when I started looking into graduate school I became totally embarrassed by my GPA and am praying I can get in despite of it!

I went to a school that doesn't give out A's easily, so I made sure to be strong in other areas. Your Psych GPA should help you. I don't think a program will cut you for a 3.4.....frankly I'd look at at 3.4/3.5/3.6 about the same, I'd next look at your research experience, LOR, etc. A 3.0 to a 4.0 is a big difference, but it is merely one measure. I'd MUCH rather have a 3.2 and 2 publications and multiple years of research than a 4.0 with no practical experience. I actually had a similar situation, though with the GRE......thankfully I had good research experience, applied experience, and LORs to make up for it. My GPA was average, psych was excellent.

Just make sure you do well in the other areas. An applicant can usually survive with one area that is slightly lower, but don't let your app have any other weak areas.

-t

anyone else in the same boat?

My cumulative was a little lower than yours and my psych was a bit higher. I never heard anything about my GPA from any school I applied to (I had 2 years of RA experience and direct research experience). I got several interviews and ended up at a very nice place. Just make sure you find schools that have a good fit with your interests and experience, and I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

how heavily do PhD/PsyD programs weigh clinical experience? I am currently looking at volunteering at a grief counseling center, and also at after school programs in my area and I was wondering if those are really worth it and if they are really going to help me? my school is kinda small and doesn't do a lot of research (that I know of) so I am really hoping to focus on the clinical experience and I'm hoping that will make me look more enticing. I am applying to both MSW, MS, PsyD, and PhD programs, so it would be good to know which ones would appreciate it the most. thnx

The Peterson article from 2003 had the mean PsyD GPA at 3.38 and PhD (Clinical) at 3.52. This covered all current programs.

how heavily do PhD/PsyD programs weigh clinical experience? I am currently looking at volunteering at a grief counseling center, and also at after school programs in my area and I was wondering if those are really worth it and if they are really going to help me? my school is kinda small and doesn't do a lot of research (that I know of) so I am really hoping to focus on the clinical experience and I'm hoping that will make me look more enticing. I am applying to both MSW, MS, PsyD, and PhD programs, so it would be good to know which ones would appreciate it the most. thnx

I think it depends on the type of program. If you're applying for PsyD or Counseling, they may weight clinical expereince more heavily. PhD programs will note it in the + column, but not give it as much weight. PhD programs that are heavier into the clinical side might weight it higher than PhD programs that are more purely research focused. Clinical experience PLUS research experience is a great boost to your CV and applications for any program.

Don't forget about checking with local hospitals to volunteer as an RA. A lot of them will have research programs running and many are thrilled to get a volunteer.

how heavily do PhD/PsyD programs weigh clinical experience?

The thing is... every applicant and their mom has clinical experience at some level. Some clinical experience doesn't set you apart from the herd. But the more involved and unique it is, the better. So, if your grief center experience was in-person, if you were part of an organized team, if you went through continuous and specialized training, those are good things. But EVERYONE signs up for phone work or something, and some people have a decade of service work behind them at 22. It's easier to set yourself apart with solid research experience.

I go to a counseling psych PhD program, and that's certainly the case here.

Regarding clinical experience...I can only speak regarding PhD programs. At balanced ones it will help you, but is not going to get you in anywhere the way research will.

At research universities, no one really cares. It certainly won't HURT you unless it looks like your doing clinical work INSTEAD of research, but its definitely not hugely important.

If you're more focused on the PsyD route I say go for it, but if you want even a tiny chance of getting into a PhD program, you need to track down a research opportunity. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting into even the balanced PhD programs without some decent research experience.

Don't forget about checking with local hospitals to volunteer as an RA. A lot of them will have research programs running and many are thrilled to get a volunteer.

Oh, good idea! *marks it down in mental scrapbook*