MD & DO Average Stats-- WAMC?? Advice appreciated.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoHorseGo

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on where to apply with the newly updated MCAT percentile ranks. All advice and feedback is welcomed! I plan on applying mostly to DO programs (15+) but am also interested in MD as well.

24 years old--ORM from midwest; Currently live in CA but my state of residence is IN.

cGPA: 3.41
sGPA: 3.44– have a great upward trend. My sGPA over my last ~60 science credits is 3.75

-These GPAs include a couple classes that I failed and retook and did well in. I also have a 4-5 Ws from random classes throughout college when I was young and immature, unsure what I wanted to do with my life at the time. I can interview well and plan to explain thoroughly all rough patches that I endured throughout my undergrad career.

MCAT: 506- 126/127/126/127. The new percentile rankings dropped me from the 69th --> 68th percentile. I think I can do better but do not want to retake again.

ECs (projected hours by time I would matriculate)

clinical experience: 1700+ hours as a paid medical scribe. worked in ED primarily; roughly 1500+ of these hours was spent working with vary diverse minority and impoverished/underprivileged communities. populations.

shadowing: 40+ hours in primary care

Research:

-undergraduate: 50+ hours in undergrad research studying human biology

-clinical research coordinator: 2000+ hours working for a research institute studying colon cancer

Volunteer:
-250+ hours in volunteer / community service including work with undeserved populations and various philanthropies. have also held various leadership positions in different clubs during college.

very strong LOR and a very personal and unique personal statement; I have a great story regarding "why medicine" if that matters...

Any help or advice on my chances would mean soo much to me. feeling very nervous about this upcoming application cycle. God bless

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Apply to your state MD school-Indiana. You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to at least 10 and include MU-COM.

Apply to your state MD school-Indiana. You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to at least 10 and include MU-COM.
thank you for the quick response! Is there any other MD programs you could suggest other than IUSM? I am more than content with DO/MD (at the end of the day I just want to be a doctor) but also want to cast as broad as a net as possible this upcoming cycle. Thank you for the help

Members don't see this ad :)
You could try these other MD schools but remember that the GPA-MCAT grid shows you have only a 1/3 chance for a MD acceptance.
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
NOVA MD
George Washington

Reactions: 1 user
You could try these other MD schools but remember that the GPA-MCAT grid shows you have only a 1/3 chance for a MD acceptance.
Oakland Beaumont
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Creighton
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
NOVA MD
George Washington

Yeah I understand my stats are slightly low for MD but I think I'll take a shot at a couple of them. Since, I'm currently living in CA would schools such as Kaiser, Loma Linda, and California University be within reach?

Yeah I understand my stats are slightly low for MD but I think I'll take a shot at a couple of them. Since, I'm currently living in CA would schools such as Kaiser, Loma Linda, and California University be within reach?
Yes, you could try them and Loma Linda would be the most likely for an interview.

@Goro would love to hear any advice or suggestions you might have as well!
I suggest:
IU
Drexel (maybe)
Temple (maybe)
Jefferson (maybe)
VCU
Wayne State (maybe)
Netter (maybe)
EVMS
U Toledo
Seton Hall
Rosy Franklin
Loma Linda (only if you are SDA or a very devout Christian)
Loyola
WVU
Rush
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Oakland-B
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Gtown
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me.