Average stats?? What do you think

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seanparsel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think my chances are for KUMed? I am a Kansas resident who has worked at KU Medical center as a tech for 3 years now. I guess if you want to know my total clinical hours they are somewhere above 3700 hours or so. I have 120 hours of shadowing (cardiologist and internist) and around 60 hours of volunteer work (in the ER at a local hospital and as a BLS instructor). I am getting my BS degree in Chemical Engineering this December, so my classes were quite rough (explaining the lower GPA).

Stats

3.32 cGPA
3.32 sGPA

30S on my MCAT

11P 7V 12B

I am pretty upset about that 7, but I think a 30S isn't terrible (especially for my state school).

What do you think?

Also, some other schools I will be applying to:

Rosalind
Rush
Wake Forest
Tulane
Einstein
Temple
Drexel
Boston
Creighton
Case Western

And just for laughs:

Mayo and Johns Hopkins ;)

Members don't see this ad.

The only schools on your list with a bottom tenth percentile for VS of 7 are KU and Rosalind Franklin.

For the rest of the schools, if you have some moderating factor to your application that gives you a chance of consideration when some of your stats are in the bottom 1-9% of those accepted, then proceed. Otherwise, a retake is in order, unless you'll be applying to DO schools as well.

The only schools on your list with a bottom tenth percentile for VS of 7 are KU and Rosalind Franklin.

For the rest of the schools, if you have some moderating factor to your application that gives you a chance of consideration when some of your stats are in the bottom 1-9% of those accepted, then proceed. Otherwise, a retake is in order, unless you'll be applying to DO schools as well.

So you would recommend me not even applying to the other schools that I listed? Just go for KU and Rosalind Franklin? Does my writing score not make up for my verbal score at all?

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe apply to Rush, Tulane, Temple, and Drexel, if a 1-9% chance is good enough for you. Your chances at those others is even less, IMO.

Writing score is regarded at Canadian schools, but not much at US schools. Low scores don't hurt, but neither do high scores help you.

Maybe apply to Rush, Tulane, Temple, and Drexel, if a 1-9% chance is good enough for you. Your chances at those others is even less, IMO.

Writing score is regarded at Canadian schools, but not much at US schools. Low scores don't hurt, but neither do high scores help you.

Do my EC's not have any weight at all? I feel like I have pretty solid experience, although no research (I chose a clinical route). I feel like my lower GPA is explained by my engineering major and well...I have no idea how to explain that damn verbal score, but I don't really want to retake the MCAT after getting a 30. Are my stats really that bad?

I feel like my lower GPA is explained by my engineering major
In response to a past question about whether a harder engineering major is taken into account:

Engineering major GPA adjustment (12/3/09):
While it may make sense that "harder" majors would make a lower GPA more attractive, the AMCAS data reveals no significant difference amongst majors. Social science majors actually get in with the lowest GPA (3.63). Engineering would be among the physical sciences for the purposes of AMCAS' classification and the physical sciences average a 3.52 for applicants (which is right in the middle) but average matriculants have a 3.66. The SDs between majors are also almost identical across the board. Sorry, your stand may be firm but it's not supported. As SD=0.27, a CE major w/ <3.39 probably wouldn't get in anywhere and <3.12 makes it even less likely (worse than 98% of matriculants on GPA alone). A 30 on the MCAT would also be quite a bit below the average score for a matriculant w/ a CE major (mean=32). For whatever reason, they are, if anything, actually harder on physical sciences people (the average PS applicant has a 29.7, btw).

Good ECs do carry some weight or I wouldn't encourage you to apply to schools where your cGPA is well below the median for those accepted.