Average Step I with poor Step 2: can I hide my scores?

Started by devildoc2
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

devildoc2

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, I am applying to mid-range and noncompetitive peds programs.

Step I = 221
Step 2 = 192

Obviously with this huge drop off in scores, I need to hide my Step 2 as long as possible. My Step 2 has NOT been transmitted to the schools, but on the ERAS application I noted that I was taking Step 2 in December.

I got a bunch of interviews, and NONE of them asked about my Step 2. I looked at all their websites and NONE of them said anything about requiring Step 2 before match.

Questions:

1) Since my ERAS says that I was planning to take Step 2 in December (this comes from my original ERAS application, not the USMLE transcript) then does that mean that I HAVE to release my scores?

2) Since none of the programs asked about Step 2 during my interviews, and none of the websites said anything about requiring Step 2 before the match, can I just hide my scores from them until after match day?

3) If I release my scores after Match Day, can the program I ranked to decline my acceptance based on that low step 2?

4) What % of applicants for peds do not have Step 2 scores submitted before the match? 10%? 50%?

5) Do you think its likely that when the school submits their ROL that they wont rank me because I didnt release my Step 2 (even though they never said anything about that durin the interview or on their website)?
 
Hello, I am applying to mid-range and noncompetitive peds programs.

Step I = 221
Step 2 = 192

Obviously with this huge drop off in scores, I need to hide my Step 2 as long as possible. My Step 2 has NOT been transmitted to the schools, but on the ERAS application I noted that I was taking Step 2 in December.

I got a bunch of interviews, and NONE of them asked about my Step 2. I looked at all their websites and NONE of them said anything about requiring Step 2 before match.

Questions:

1) Since my ERAS says that I was planning to take Step 2 in December (this comes from my original ERAS application, not the USMLE transcript) then does that mean that I HAVE to release my scores?

2) Since none of the programs asked about Step 2 during my interviews, and none of the websites said anything about requiring Step 2 before the match, can I just hide my scores from them until after match day?

3) If I release my scores after Match Day, can the program I ranked to decline my acceptance based on that low step 2?

4) What % of applicants for peds do not have Step 2 scores submitted before the match? 10%? 50%?

5) Do you think its likely that when the school submits their ROL that they wont rank me because I didnt release my Step 2 (even though they never said anything about that durin the interview or on their website)?

I cannot answer the ERAS questions, but I can address how my program looked at applicants while I was on the selection team. First, your scores are fine. Most mid-level programs (as where I went) are mostly looking for red flags. If you comfortably pass then you are fine. I would say that you did well on Step 1 (congrats) and step 2 you did fine. Neither would make my program think that you are a bad candidate. Having said that, we always wanted to see that you had taken step 2, but I don't remember if we wanted the scores unless we were concerned about your step 1 score (ie you barely passed or failed). This would be program dependent though.
Finally, once matched, I don't think they can turn you away. Nor would they turn you away. You are a very qualified applicant.

Don't worry. You will do fine.