Average time per passage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notorious725

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much time should you average per passage? I calculated less than 8 minutes per passage? Would this average apply to both PS and BS? Let's leave verbal out. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How much time should you average per passage? I calculated less than 8 minutes per passage? Would this average apply to both PS and BS? Let's leave verbal out. Thanks!

I usually spend about 8 minutes for each passage. However, I tend to spend more time (~9:30 minutes) for the first 2 passages and ironically, get the most number of questions wrong on the first 2 passages:confused: (I am referring to verbal btw)

A good trick that has worked for me ( I scored an 8 on kaplan diagnostic and now I am averaging 10-13 on my AAMC verbal) is to spend 3 minutes reading the passage and then 1 minute per question. . For verbal,3 passages, so 3 minutes per passage*7 passages = 21 miuntes reading, and then 1 minute per passage so anywhere from 40-41 minutes per question. That is 60-61 minutes for the entire verbal test which is the time you have. You could also do this for PS/BS just modify it to 2.5 minutes for PS/BS passages. That means that you read all the passages in 17.5 minutes and then you have 52-52.5 minutes to answer the 52 questions.

A good trick that has worked for me ( I scored an 8 on kaplan diagnostic and now I am averaging 10-13 on my AAMC verbal) is to spend 3 minutes reading the passage and then 1 minute per question. . For verbal,3 passages, so 3 minutes per passage*7 passages = 21 miuntes reading, and then 1 minute per passage so anywhere from 40-41 minutes per question. That is 60-61 minutes for the entire verbal test which is the time you have. You could also do this for PS/BS just modify it to 2.5 minutes for PS/BS passages. That means that you read all the passages in 17.5 minutes and then you have 52-52.5 minutes to answer the 52 questions.

3 minutes will be tough for VR, since everyone coming out of the mcat believes the VR passages to be a lot longer than practice. This goes for BS as well.

For PS, however, you can jump right into the questions and look for the info in the passages.

This technique worked for me on aamc 10 and 11. VR, not so much :) hopefully this friday Ill tell it otherwise