Average time spent in hospitals during electives

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Orestis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am an IMG (in 1,5 years). I am searching for elective opportunities in the states. How many hours is it expected from the students to be at the hospital daily? Is it 8 hours?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have been told from people in my uni that went to the same hospital as the one I am planning on going that they had to be there usually from 9 until 5-6. They were doing internal medicine and probably I am gonna do the same
P.S. My uni requires to take an exam at the end of every rotation. So 10+ hours of work and then studying for a final seem quite hard.

Reactions: 1 user
l0l most of my days were like 6-7 am and ended 6-7pm, sometimes 6-11 pm on a long call day

on surgery it was like 4-5am and ended 6-9 pm

Highly variable. As an example I'm currently on one that allows me to leave when I want and have been coming in 9am to 1130am for the last two weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
I have been told from people in my uni that went to the same hospital as the one I am planning on going that they had to be there usually from 9 until 5-6. They were doing internal medicine and probably I am gonna do the same
P.S. My uni requires to take an exam at the end of every rotation. So 10+ hours of work and then studying for a final seem quite hard.

9 AM start time in inpatient IM seems unlikely... I've never rotated anywhere that started later than 7 AM.

10+ hours working then studying is hard, but it's doable. Usually there's some downtime for studying somewhere in that 10 hours, too.

Reactions: 2 users

Try doing 14 hour days with intermixed 28 hour calls and then having presentations do prepare for as well as exams to study for. And that assumes that you actually follow the hour rules and aren't doing 34+ hours on your call day...

In no way saying that is ideal or in any way a good thing, but there are plenty of hours and reserve to study after working a "full day".

surgery will have longer hours.
IM general service will have longer hours than IM specialty services.
IM specialty services are often consult services or outpatient services, so typically 8AM to 5PM (or earlier).

l0l most of my days were like 6-7 am and ended 6-7pm, sometimes 6-11 pm on a long call day

on surgery it was like 4-5am and ended 6-9 pm

Jesus your surgery serve had you in at 4A?

Highly variable. As an example I'm currently on one that allows me to leave when I want and have been coming in 9am to 1130am for the last two weeks.

Must be nice.

9 AM start time in inpatient IM seems unlikely... I've never rotated anywhere that started later than 7 AM.

10+ hours working then studying is hard, but it's doable. Usually there's some downtime for studying somewhere in that 10 hours, too.

Yeah 7AM rounds = 6AM pre-rounds with the intern

Try doing 14 hour days with intermixed 28 hour calls and then having presentations do prepare for as well as exams to study for. And that assumes that you actually follow the hour rules and aren't doing 34+ hours on your call day...

In no way saying that is ideal or in any way a good thing, but there are plenty of hours and reserve to study after working a "full day".

#nevervascular.

Ditto all the above. For IM, MS4s have 6am start time with 5-9pm as an end time, depending when our team gets new admissions. Plus, follow the intern schedule for weekend call, which is every other weekend.

MS3s are excused from morning sign-outs and come in closer to 7am, leaving around 5pm each day.