Average USMLE STEP 1 Score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hlam84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im wondering where I can find how students from Tufts and Downstate on average score for their Step 1. Thank you in advance for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

schools' avg. step 1 is never information that is publicly released, unless the school/their students voluntarily choose to do so.

the school won't get you your step 1 score - that's your responsibility, so the average scores from Tuft's or Downstate is irrelevant. Besides your score within your class matters little, it's your score compared to everyone else. The test is standardized so that 215 is the 50%ile and the first standard deviation most years is ~10-15 over that. Go where you want to go and quit worrying so much about this stuff. Your education will be what you make of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Barring huge gaping holes in a curriculum (which usually don't last more than a year) I really don't feel like the Step 1 score is an important factor in choosing a medical school. The average scores typically don't vary by more than a few points and +/- 5 points isn't that big of a deal on the USMLE. There's probably a post by me somewhere on the forums where I'm saying the exact opposite but I feel very differently after actually taking the USMLE.

Im wondering where I can find how students from Tufts and Downstate on average score for their Step 1. Thank you in advance for any help.

Agree with the above -- you won't find a reliable source for this info, so make do without it. Only a couple of schools actually publish their scores and the word of mouth scores you might find on SDN and elsewhere tend to be pretty questionable and unsubstantiatable.

Go where you're happy. If you're happy, you'll enjoy yourself more, if you enjoy yourself more, you'll focus better, if you focus better, you'll score higher on Step 1.

the school won't get you your step 1 score - that's your responsibility, so the average scores from Tuft's or Downstate is irrelevant. Besides your score within your class matters little, it's your score compared to everyone else. The test is standardized so that 215 is the 50%ile and the first standard deviation most years is ~10-15 over that. Go where you want to go and quit worrying so much about this stuff. Your education will be what you make of it.

by definition, a standardized test cannot have a set score equal a percentile. 215 is probably a reasonably close estimate but only the people running the show know the actual median. last year's test takers were told that the average on "recent administrations" was 217 with a SD of 20 i believe. this does not mean that was the average for last year as some people misinterpret it.

by definition, a standardized test cannot have a set score equal a percentile. 215 is probably a reasonably close estimate but only the people running the show know the actual median. last year's test takers were told that the average on "recent administrations" was 217 with a SD of 20 i believe. this does not mean that was the average for last year as some people misinterpret it.

All I can say is, "Duh" :thumbup:

Yep. Plus the average score is probably going to be more of a reflection of the students a school admits than the prep the school provides. The information you need to know for Step1 is well-known, it is up to you to decide how hard you're going to work at it.

If you're a good test taker and you work hard you're going to do fine on Step1 no matter where you go.

i agree, step1 is indeed dependant on the individual.

i know people that went to the worst carib schools but worked hard on their own time to master step1.

they did very well on the exam.