My Step 1 Study Story

Started by Freddy1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Freddy1

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I passed Step 1 and as I made use of this forum I want to share the details of my journey for all the aspirants. I am an old non-US IMG I started my prep in early August 2021 by buying the First Aid and reading it for the first time. Later on, I read an article online recommending using Uworld immediately on start of the prep, and listening to that I bought a half-year subscription and started doing timed blocks discipline wise, namely Biochem, and then I went for Anatomy, Histo, Biostasts and so on. After doing the blocks I was reading the First Aid for a few hours every day.

When I took my first nbme 29, I scored at the low 166. Then I took UWSA1, and some more nbme’s, but my score by June 2022 was still 182. I started putting more emphasis on the FA, and read it front to back. I read the 1-3 chapters and watched it in video lectures for topics of my weaknesses based on nbmes’ results by systems or topics. I did 2.5 passes of Uworld, and then I decided to switch to Amboss qbank, which had similar difficulty questions to Uworld. I did a full read of the FA before each of my 3 following nbme’s, which as I understood later wasn’t the right thing to do as it just took too long to do that. I also started using Anki for making my own flash cards and reviewing them later with time intervals. More nbme’s followed but score remained at a 190-200 level by August 2023. Then I listened to an advice of going deeper and using Pathoma. I took Amboss self assessment and scored 221, in the following 2 nbme’s the score dropped back to 62-65 % correct (190’s) and I felt upset. I hit the plateau. I listened to many podcasts of which I would mark the USMLE Guys, Divine Intervention podcast, USMLE Listen, and Medbullets.



By October 2024 my scores started improving.. At this point, I decided on scheduling for the real deal. Then, I took UWSA 2 and I was disappointed by a low 188 score. Then a person on an online forum advised me to take one more nbme before postponing my exam and I listened to his advice. The score in the nmbe was 77 % and I was encouraged to take the test. I booked my appointment with Prometric for December 16. 5 days before the real deal I gave free 120, and hit 65% on it. Exam was hard with lots of vague curve balls, After the test, I doubted my passing the test. All the time I prayed to God. The result arrived on the 3rd Wednesday following the day of exam. I fretted to open it, but I did it and I saw a [Pass].


I want to encourage those studying for this exam. You can do it!!

1763238762611.png