• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 22, 2004
Status (Visible)
Avogadro’s number is NOT equal to:
A . the number of atoms in 11.2 L of O2 at STP.
B . the number of atoms in 1 mole of He at STP.
C . the number of electrons in 96,500 coulombs.
D . the number of ions in 1 L of 1 N sulfuric acid.

the correct answer is D.

But, I don't understand the reason stated on my answer key. Can anyone elaborate on the reason behind choosing D. Thanks !

dat_student

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
Weyburn Terrace :-)
Status (Visible)
Smooth Operater said:
Avogadro's number is NOT equal to:

the correct answer is D.

But, I don't understand the reason stated on my answer key. Can anyone elaborate on the reason behind choosing D. Thanks !

N = Normality

Normality is expressed in equivalents per liter. An equivalent can be defined as the number of moles of "reactive units" in a compound.

Now let's look at sulfuric acid. Each molecule of sulfuric acid can dissociate to yield two hydrogen ions and a sulfate ion in solution, so one mole of sulfuric acid can form two moles, or two equivalents, of hydrogen ions. For sulfuric acid, 1 M (1 mole per liter) will have two moles of hydrogen ions per liter, so it will be a 2N solution (2 equivalents of hydrogen ions per liter). Thus, 1N = 0.5 M which is not equal to Avogadro's number

allstardentist

All-Star
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2006
Los Angeles
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
but u know DAT student, in the kaplan book, it says that normality depends on the type of reaction. In the case of acid-base reaction, your reasoning would be correct, but in the case of sulfate precipitation, it is stated that 1 normal would yield 1 mole of sulfate ions. Seems like all the questions we post on sdn are posted because they usually dont seem to have a clear cut answer.

About the Ads

keibee82

Blue_tooth...
10+ Year Member
May 9, 2006
OC
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
allstardentist said:
but u know DAT student, in the kaplan book, it says that normality depends on the type of reaction. In the case of acid-base reaction, your reasoning would be correct, but in the case of sulfate precipitation, it is stated that 1 normal would yield 1 mole of sulfate ions. Seems like all the questions we post on sdn are posted because they usually dont seem to have a clear cut answer.

yes, part D is referring to sulfate ions, not protons. I don't see why
D is wrong. 1N in 1L means 1M.

Yellow Snow

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
Pacific NW
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
keibee82 said:
yes, part D is referring to sulfate ions, not protons. I don't see why
D is wrong. 1N in 1L means 1M.

It says Ions which includes the H+ and the sulfate ions, no? So wouldn't we have two moles of H+ and one mole of sulfate thus 3 x avo's number?

Indie

10+ Year Member
May 3, 2006
Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Smooth Operater said:
Avogadro’s number is NOT equal to:

the correct answer is D.

Sorry read the question wrong...

keibee82

Blue_tooth...
10+ Year Member
May 9, 2006
OC
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Yellow Snow said:
It says Ions which includes the H+ and the sulfate ions, no? So wouldn't we have two moles of H+ and one mole of sulfate thus 3 x avo's number?

This question is from kaplan practice exam 4.
For part E on the original, it says...
The number of SO4 ions in 1 liter of 1 N H2SO4.

so they are referring to SO4 ions which is 1 N, meaning 1 M.

lifeisgood

the original
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 22, 2005
San Clemente, CA
www.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
keibee82 said:
This question is from kaplan practice exam 4.
For part E on the original, it says...
The number of SO4 ions in 1 liter of 1 N H2SO4.

so they are referring to SO4 ions which is 1 N, meaning 1 M.

It's simply a tricky question...I think it is safe to assume when talking about acids, unless you are talking in the context of a certain rxn like a sulfate ppt, that normality refers to the H+ concentration. SO, since one liter of a 1N solution will contain one mole of H+, the sol'n is 1M wrt H+...likewise since there are twice as many H+'s as SO42-, the sol'n is only 0.5M wrt to SO42-. One half a mole of SO42- in one liter is only equal to half of Avogadros number. Hope this helps.

DonExodus

Dentist in Virgin Islands
10+ Year Member
Jul 6, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Dentist
For every mole of H2SO4, there are 2 H+ ions released.
Hence, there is 1 ion released per 1/2 mole (simplified of course), 2 released per 1 mole.

Since there is 1/2 a mole, its 1/2 avagadros number, making D correct.

dat_student

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2005
Weyburn Terrace :-)
Status (Visible)
lifeisgood said:
It's simply a tricky question...I think it is safe to assume when talking about acids, unless you are talking in the context of a certain rxn like a sulfate ppt, that normality refers to the H+ concentration. SO, since one liter of a 1N solution will contain one mole of H+, the sol'n is 1M wrt H+...likewise since there are twice as many H+'s as SO42-, the sol'n is only 0.5M wrt to SO42-. One half a mole of SO42- in one liter is only equal to half of Avogadros number. Hope this helps.

DonExodus said:
For every mole of H2SO4, there are 2 H+ ions released.
Hence, there is 1 ion released per 1/2 mole (simplified of course), 2 released per 1 mole.

Since there is 1/2 a mole, its 1/2 avagadros number, making D correct.

Exactly. You guys explained it better :)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.