Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm relatively new to the world of pharmacy, folks. I'm honestly a bit nervous about getting funneled into the world of "big chain" retail after graduation. I started interning at a large "learning hospital" the summer before my P1 year, and have about 10 months with them to date. I could work for this company for the rest of my life and be quite happy. It's a large hospital network in my area spanning about 1-2 hours in each direction; this of course implies I could move within the company - provided an opening.
I'm maintaining approximately a 3.2-3.3 right now, and let's assume it'll stay at about that level throughout. I'm married, so it's kind of difficult to get too involved in EC activities, but I'm in a fraternity and I'm doing my best. I'm trying to be creative and get involved as much as possible (within reason). As things stand, it appears that a residency will be the norm by the time I get out of school for hospital pharmacy work - would you agree? I would hope my experience would help in this department, but I was hoping I might be able to staff without a residency.
I'm trying to be proactive because the job prospects might be rather grim by then, but I'm hoping that where I'm living, the rural Midwest, will still be a relatively high demand area. As things stand, things are pretty much the same they were a year ago - I've actually noticed a bit of loosening in the local job market. I've met some PT kids who are having a bit of trouble. I understand things have improved for nurses as well (in this area).
Anyway - hospital pharmacists: do you have any recommendations for me? Should I plan on pursuing a residency? The hospital pharmacists I work with are quite happy. They get lunch/supper breaks and get to take turns answering the phone.
Side note: no one in my class is considering job prospects right now. Is this folly? Maybe they're wise for not worrying.
I'm maintaining approximately a 3.2-3.3 right now, and let's assume it'll stay at about that level throughout. I'm married, so it's kind of difficult to get too involved in EC activities, but I'm in a fraternity and I'm doing my best. I'm trying to be creative and get involved as much as possible (within reason). As things stand, it appears that a residency will be the norm by the time I get out of school for hospital pharmacy work - would you agree? I would hope my experience would help in this department, but I was hoping I might be able to staff without a residency.
I'm trying to be proactive because the job prospects might be rather grim by then, but I'm hoping that where I'm living, the rural Midwest, will still be a relatively high demand area. As things stand, things are pretty much the same they were a year ago - I've actually noticed a bit of loosening in the local job market. I've met some PT kids who are having a bit of trouble. I understand things have improved for nurses as well (in this area).
Anyway - hospital pharmacists: do you have any recommendations for me? Should I plan on pursuing a residency? The hospital pharmacists I work with are quite happy. They get lunch/supper breaks and get to take turns answering the phone.
Side note: no one in my class is considering job prospects right now. Is this folly? Maybe they're wise for not worrying.