Avoiding retail: hospital pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jinga

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm relatively new to the world of pharmacy, folks. I'm honestly a bit nervous about getting funneled into the world of "big chain" retail after graduation. I started interning at a large "learning hospital" the summer before my P1 year, and have about 10 months with them to date. I could work for this company for the rest of my life and be quite happy. It's a large hospital network in my area spanning about 1-2 hours in each direction; this of course implies I could move within the company - provided an opening.

I'm maintaining approximately a 3.2-3.3 right now, and let's assume it'll stay at about that level throughout. I'm married, so it's kind of difficult to get too involved in EC activities, but I'm in a fraternity and I'm doing my best. I'm trying to be creative and get involved as much as possible (within reason). As things stand, it appears that a residency will be the norm by the time I get out of school for hospital pharmacy work - would you agree? I would hope my experience would help in this department, but I was hoping I might be able to staff without a residency.

I'm trying to be proactive because the job prospects might be rather grim by then, but I'm hoping that where I'm living, the rural Midwest, will still be a relatively high demand area. As things stand, things are pretty much the same they were a year ago - I've actually noticed a bit of loosening in the local job market. I've met some PT kids who are having a bit of trouble. I understand things have improved for nurses as well (in this area).

Anyway - hospital pharmacists: do you have any recommendations for me? Should I plan on pursuing a residency? The hospital pharmacists I work with are quite happy. They get lunch/supper breaks and get to take turns answering the phone.

Side note: no one in my class is considering job prospects right now. Is this folly? Maybe they're wise for not worrying.

Members don't see this ad.

if you're a good intern, there is always the possibility you could be hired by your hospital. But I know from my intern class, only 1 person was able to get a job because the hospital also had to hire some of their residents from that year.

if you're a good intern, there is always the possibility you could be hired by your hospital. But I know from my intern class, only 1 person was able to get a job because the hospital also had to hire some of their residents from that year.

An academic hospital seems like it would be much more likely to prefer residents.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are areas with hospital pharmacist shortage still....

Stavi: what's your take on the supply/demand situation?
Do you see it improving or worsening?
How do you see it affecting the country as a whole?

Sorry to hijack my own thread; I just know you have a lot of insight on this...

It's somewhat relevant to the thread as it pertains to the hospital sector.

How do you see it affecting the country as a whole?

Sorry to hijack my own thread; I just know you have a lot of insight on this...

It's somewhat relevant to the thread as it pertains to the hospital sector.

Search my previous posts. You'll get answers to all your questions.

How do you see it affecting the country as a whole

1. Shortage over
2. Worsening somewhat
3. Hard to say

What I can gather.

How do you see it affecting the country as a whole

1. Shortage over
2. Worsening somewhat
3. Hard to say

What I can gather.

i have my opinion.

I

Side note: no one in my class is considering job prospects right now. Is this folly? Maybe they're wise for not worrying.

Worrying about job prospects is like worrying about anything else, almost always useless. Instead you gotta do what you need to do. 1. There will be jobs out there. 2. You need to acquire one of said jobs. There will be other people out there looking too. 3. You need to be more qualified. The whole debate is academic outside of these 3 facts.. The fact that you're starting to think about it now is a good indicator that you'll be able to be on top, since you're planning ahead so much.

ps: hint, staying relaxed is a step towards the top of your game

Last edited:
It is more difficult to get a hospital job compared to retail on average.

If you work there and are good and have connections, then as long as there are openings then you should be okay.

Most likely will just be hired as a staff pharmacist keying orders all shift. Most of the residents are doing the "clinical" work although you will get to field some questions that are clinical in nature as a staff pharmacist.

There are jobs out there you just have to work now to get them.

What are some advantages to hospital "staffing" rather than clinical work.

How are the hours? Isn't it normally kind of a rotating setup?

Does anyone here think a residency will be required for "staff" positions in the near future?

Thanks everyone!

What are some advantages to hospital "staffing" rather than clinical work.

staffing is good if you just want to answer the phone and put orders in....very routine work. clinical work involves using more knowledge and thinking.

How are the hours? Isn't it normally kind of a rotating setup?

Depends...8 -12hr shifts.....also depends on the set up....some make you start off on nights and work to days...

Does anyone here think a residency will be required for "staff" positions in the near future?

There is talk that all PharmDs will have to complete a residency soon....first they have to find enough spots....
Thanks everyone!

see red!!