Awards / Honors / Communty...

Started by mmak
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mmak

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How far back in time do you go?

Do scholarships for college count for awards/honors?

What is the best way to describe the scholarship?

Should I list I was selected for a State sports team> went to regional tryouts? Should I list our State team competed in regions? Or is this just too much?

Should I list that all throughout HS, and one semester college I delivered thanksgiving food baskets to families?
 
One more...

I was sergeant of arms in NHS in HS. Should I list that?
 
i had a friend tell me to list stuff from high school. so i did. i feel a little weird about it cuz it was a long time ago. but at least it made my involvement a little longer. 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I listed it all...leadership positions in high school, service projects, scholarships, etc. I put it below the more recent stuff I've done, but I felt it was important nonetheless because it helps tell the story of who I am, which is what your application should be: a picture of how you've become the person you have become and why that person should fill a seat in their vet school.
 
I only put a few select things from high school in there - granted I'm a non-trad so I can barely remember those things and don't generally think of them as being as important as more recent things (and by more recent, I mean things I've done within the past 5 years).

I didn't bother to mention every single club I was involved in during high school because I don't remember it well enough. IMHO, I don't think it is going to make or break your application - so I wouldn't stress too much over it. Frankly, the important stuff is your GPA, GRE, vet/animal experience, and personal statement. The other stuff just paints a picture of who you are and what you care about.