Any 4-H'ers? Question on listing 4-H Awards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AussieDr

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Trying to get my app. done and have a question-
I was a member of the 4-H dog project for 6+ years and have won many awards and ribbons at the county and state levels. My question is, should I list them all in the honors and awards section of the VMCAS? It gets to be quite a lot and I don't want to distract from my academic achievements. On the other hand, I am proud of them and worked hard for them. I was thinking of listing all the champion, reserve champion, and the ones earned at state level, and then grouping just the blue ribbons into one. It's still a lot though, will it distract from my other academic achievements? Should I consolidate them more?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello there fellow 4-H member!

I think it's really up to you what you want to include. Do you have one or two that are really special to you? Do you think you can showcase your effort with a few, or are you shooting for just quantity? In my opinion, if you have several awards I don't know if I would put them all down, due to cluttering up your application, but I don't see why you couldn't put a few. I personally put one of my state awards and a county one on mine, and that was enough to spark conversation/interest at one of my interviews, where I could elaborate more if they asked.

Hello there fellow 4-H member!

I think it's really up to you what you want to include. Do you have one or two that are really special to you? Do you think you can showcase your effort with a few, or are you shooting for just quantity? In my opinion, if you have several awards I don't know if I would put them all down, due to cluttering up your application, but I don't see why you couldn't put a few. I personally put one of my state awards and a county one on mine, and that was enough to spark conversation/interest at one of my interviews, where I could elaborate more if they asked.
I actually chose to do the same thing. I also did dog for a long time so I just included my reserve grand champion and grand champion awards. I think it would get overly cluttered to include every last blue ribbon so I would just include whatever was most special to you and makes you stand out :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was involved in the 4-H horse project for 9 years, but I just listed my accomplishments at the state level. I think it kept my application from getting too cluttered and made the awards seem more meaningful.

I was hardcore into showing poultry in 4H. I had over 30 trophies and listed them all by year. I pretty much made a group for each year and then put each trophy under the corresponding year's description. Some years I had more than others. Didn't hurt me and I think it helped me standout since I got in :). I didn't list ribbons except for major state ones.

I think I will be listing the awards at the State level for the dog project. Not sure about county. Don't know about your county, but sometimes in my county it was a matter of only 1 or 2 other people in my group (if that) and while I worked to earn those champions, I am more proud of the state ones and would like to highlight those more.