Away elective question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benwin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I wanted to do an away rotation at a particular ophthalmology program but the only spot they had was between 11/14-12/9. I have reservations about these dates because 1) they seem a bit late in the process and 2) those are 4 weeks that are right in the middle of interview season. I was hoping to get some advice regarding this issue...should I do this rotation during that time and are my concerns valid? Thanks all.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey benwin,

Doing an away during those dates is definitely very late. The purpose of an away at a program of interest is to get to know the right people in the department, make connections, get a few letters, and "shine". Such late rotation won't help you get letters in time and interview spots at most programs will given away by then. Remember, for the most part interview season ends around 12/20.

You can try to set an earlier rotation with a different preceptor or talk to the PD or a rotation coordinator to try to add you on earlier.

Hope this helps.

Thanks JR.
I'm assuming you then wouldn't do the rotation during those dates. When are the ideal times for away rotations then? And when approximately do interviews start for ophtho?

Members don't see this ad :)
benwin said:
Thanks JR.
I'm assuming you then wouldn't do the rotation during those dates. When are the ideal times for away rotations then? And when approximately do interviews start for ophtho?

I agree with JR, I probably would not do an away during during those dates. You will have a majority of your interviews at that time, and you will really not be impressing anyone if you have to take several days off per week to go interview. I would try to do it earlier from July - October (at the latest). My earliest interview was in the first week of November. There is some more detail on an older post...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=2312944#post2312944

My first interview offer was around mid-September; most programs usually finish by the end of December. Very few programs have interview dates in January.

July-October is the perfect elective period. Make sure you ask for LOR early; most attendings take a while to finish them. Keep in mind that when you submit that 4th letter, it'll take 2-3 weeks for it to get processed and distributed to programs by CAS.

Good luck!

JR said:
My first interview offer was around mid-September; most programs usually finish by the end of December. Very few programs have interview dates in January.

July-October is the perfect elective period. Make sure you ask for LOR early; most attendings take a while to finish them. Keep in mind that when you submit that 4th letter, it'll take 2-3 weeks for it to get processed and distributed to programs by CAS.

Good luck!

I think this is excellent advice. Also, please look at the time line that I made in the FAQ index thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=1424405#post1424405

you have to scroll down a bit and not make fun of the way I spelled "to" instead of "too" ;)

Best of Luck!

so...if I were to do an away elective in October, I wouldn't necessarily be able to get an LOR from the folks at the away program in time, right? Would it even be worth doing an away elective then? Can doing an away elective help you without getting a rec...merely by showing the faculty that you know how to work hard? Could that get you at least an interview?

nylee said:
so...if I were to do an away elective in October, I wouldn't necessarily be able to get an LOR from the folks at the away program in time, right? Would it even be worth doing an away elective then? Can doing an away elective help you without getting a rec...merely by showing the faculty that you know how to work hard? Could that get you at least an interview?

The latest should be August. July is most ideal. You must give your mentors at least 1 month to write the letter. Good luck!

nylee said:

Dr. Doan is correct. October is too late to expect a LOR. It might be worth considering if you are REALLY interested in and serious about this program. I did an ophtho rotation in October at my #2 pick and it was a great experience.

thanks for the tips Dr. Doan and Ruben...
:)