Away Elective Rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jammin06

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard about people doing away elective rotations, but I was wondering if anyone could explain what this actually entails. Is it during your fourth year? So do you apply/interview at the same time you are at the away elective? What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing these sort of electives? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In my case, the away elective was an "interview rotation" at the program I hoped to attend. It worked, fortunately. :)

The advantage, obviously, is that you really get to know the people and the program, and they really get to know you. This can work great if you're a star, but can become a disadvantage if you're not.

I did mine early in fourth year, before I started interviewing.

jammin06 said:
I have heard about people doing away elective rotations, but I was wondering if anyone could explain what this actually entails. Is it during your fourth year? So do you apply/interview at the same time you are at the away elective? What are the advantages and disadvantages of doing these sort of electives? Thanks!

Depending on your curriculum there should be months during your 4th year and perhaps during your 3rd year where you have electives. It is up to you what you want to do as your elective. Most people do away rotations in the beginning of their 4th year particularly at schools where they think they will apply for residency. I guess you could do an away rotation while you are interviewing, but I think most people take a month off for interviews, traveling can be daunting.

Advantages - gets your more familiar with the program and people. Residents and faculty will know you when it comes time for matching.

Disadvantages - if you do poorly on the away rotation or don't jive with residents and faculty, then you probably won't get an interview. It can be a double edge sword.

vwhan said:
Disadvantages - if you do poorly on the away rotation or don't jive with residents and faculty, then you probably won't get an interview. It can be a double edge sword.

But if you don't get along with the residents/faculty as a 4th year med students, I'm guessing it wouldn't be the best fit for your residency anyway. So it seems like only a partial disadvantage, since at least you know to try for other matches.