Away Elective Scheduling Q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThinkFast007

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy Memorial Day :p

anyways...quick q for you guys. I had scheduled to do this away elective but because of my school's decision to switch up our schedules I won't be able to do it at the time I told the away school I could. So....as it stands I'll only have done one Anes rotation (in mid oct to mid nov). Is it worth scheduling the second away rotation in Anes from mid nov to mid Dec?

The reason I ask is this. I know Nov-Dec is late in the game (esp since I'm going for 2006) match, but if I work hard and do well could I still get an interview from that school I rotated in? I know that typically kids get invites for interviews and spots for interviews fill up early. But to those of you residents and attendings on committees, have you opened up interview spaces for students that have rotated through your institution? I've heard through the rumor mill that typically students that rotate through an insitution are almost guaranteed an interview?

Thanks guys/gals for your help! :thumbup:

P.S. Do CA-1's have input in the selection process???

Members don't see this ad.

ThinkFast007 said:
Happy Memorial Day :p

anyways...quick q for you guys. I had scheduled to do this away elective but because of my school's decision to switch up our schedules I won't be able to do it at the time I told the away school I could. So....as it stands I'll only have done one Anes rotation (in mid oct to mid nov). Is it worth scheduling the second away rotation in Anes from mid nov to mid Dec?

The reason I ask is this. I know Nov-Dec is late in the game (esp since I'm going for 2006) match, but if I work hard and do well could I still get an interview from that school I rotated in? I know that typically kids get invites for interviews and spots for interviews fill up early. But to those of you residents and attendings on committees, have you opened up interview spaces for students that have rotated through your institution? I've heard through the rumor mill that typically students that rotate through an insitution are almost guaranteed an interview?

Thanks guys/gals for your help! :thumbup:

P.S. Do CA-1's have input in the selection process???

It is still worth it to do the rotation if you are interested in applying to the program. Not worth it if you are looking for LOR's. Yes we give all rotating students an interview unless they are absolutely terrible, in which case they get an on rotation interview designed to "encourage" them to look elsewhere and improve their attention span and work ethic.

As far as opening up interview spaces, typically by that time of year, the institutions start to get cancellations, especially from the marathon interviewers who have gone through 15 interviews by that time. A spot almost invariably comes up. If not, we have made exceptions and brought in people on already full interview days.

I don't think CA-1s have much input into the selection process unless they are on the selection commitee. Our PD will ask us about applicants that we meet, but I think they listen much more when we have negative comments rather than positive one. I don't feel like I can really get to know someone well enough from an interview day or dinner to go out of my way to endorse them to the PD. However, there have been a few who I though were total tools and I let the PD know.

Members don't see this ad :)
gaslady said:
However, there have been a few who I though were total tools and I let the PD know.

This makes sense :laugh: :laugh:

gaslady said:
I don't think CA-1s have much input into the selection process unless they are on the selection commitee. Our PD will ask us about applicants that we meet, but I think they listen much more when we have negative comments rather than positive one. I don't feel like I can really get to know someone well enough from an interview day or dinner to go out of my way to endorse them to the PD. However, there have been a few who I though were total tools and I let the PD know.

What made u think they were tools?

chicamedica said:
What made u think they were tools?

One looked like a 'Phillips' and the other looked like a 'Flat-head'. :laugh:

ThinkFast007... so I guess you finally decided to give up your "alternate identity" and "play nice" on our forum, huh? :laugh:

I know you know exactly what I'm talking about. So, don't come here now and play dumb. Maybe instead of denying it, you should ask yourself "how?" ;)

Just remember, the world is very small and very round, my friend. I like this change of heart and attitude; but, don't forget your past. I know I won't.

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
ThinkFast007... so I guess you finally decided to give up your "alternate identity" and "play nice" on our forum, huh? :laugh:

I know you know exactly what I'm talking about. So, don't come here now and play dumb. Maybe instead of denying it, you should ask yourself "how?" ;)

Just remember, the world is very small and very round, my friend. I like this change of heart and attitude; but, don't forget your past. I know I won't.

-Skip

? I guess you are getting me confused with someone else.

nevermind...no hurt feelings :)

ThinkFast007 said:
? I guess you are getting me confused with someone else.

No, I'm not. But, reminding everyone what I said above...

Skip Intro said:
don't come here now and play dumb

... I'm not surprised by your response. Anyway, like I said before, nice to see the change and the "toned down" attitude. Keep it up. It shows growth.

-Skip

Skip Intro said:
No, I'm not. But, reminding everyone what I said above...

... I'm not surprised by your response. Anyway, like I said before, nice to see the change and the "toned down" attitude. Keep it up. It shows growth.

-Skip

Clearly this is a mix up.

Well, whatever. I really do not care and do not wish to pursue this mix up and get into a 'cyber fight', I'm not as childish.

Thanks everyone for your previous input on the ORIGINGAL post. Let's keep this thread going, I know others that are also interested in this topic.
Thanks

I am currently registered for and pretty much committed to an away anes elective next fall at one of my top choice programs. However, there are 3 programs that are currently my #1 (a 3-way tie), but my schedule only allows for 1 away. Will the other 2 programs think that they are not my #1 just because i've done an away rotation at this particular place?

chicamedica said:
I am currently registered for and pretty much committed to an away anes elective next fall at one of my top choice programs. However, there are 3 programs that are currently my #1 (a 3-way tie), but my schedule only allows for 1 away. Will the other 2 programs think that they are not my #1 just because i've done an away rotation at this particular place?

Mira, I do not believe it makes a difference unless you know that you have a better chance of matching at the other programs!!! Evidently, you must assess all pro's & con's and pick the best place! I have friends that matched without obtaining letters of recommendation from anesthesiologist! Figure that one! Each case has its own merit. And there are many Avenidas to get to the Finish line!!! Buena Suerte!!! :) :D :laugh:

Hawaiiwave06 said:
I have friends that matched without obtaining letters of recommendation from anesthesiologist! Figure that one! Each case has its own merit. And there are many Avenidas to get to the Finish line!!! Buena Suerte!!! :) :D :laugh:
hey hawaii

yes, i've heard of this one too. infact, i know a kid at my school (a year above) who was thinking of doing EM who switched into Gas in about September of his application year. he had no recs from Gas attendings. His board scores were in the 220s though. But the one thing he did have going for him was he's an excellent interviewee. He basically said that the interviews are what saved his butt. he had a LOT of explaining to do given his last min switching. the funny thing is that he's attending his first choice, Ivy gas residency

so yup, go figure :cool:

Thanks guys, i think i'll stop stressing about this then. . .

GAS RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!