away electives at UCSF, UCLA, and Harvard

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calot's 3angle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
starting to look at away electives and wondering if anyone out there could offer some advice as to which ones are especially good at the above schools or recommended as a good away elective... i know that in-patient experiences give you a better idea of what the residents/program are like but perhaps some out-pt electives are really good? whether you've done them or are students at the schools, any help would be greatly appreciated!!! thank you! :)

UCSF choices:
advanced in-patient (dr. jeffrey thomas)
advanced gyn (dr. abner korn)
advanced high-risk pregnancy (dr. patricia robertson)
advanced gynecology (dr. sharon knight)
family planning (dr. eleanor drey)

UCLA--these are from the 2005-2006 electives, 2006-2007 not up yet:
repro endo and infertility @ CHS (dr. jackson wu)
high risk ob @ CS (dr. john williams)
high risk ob @ CHS (dr. khalil tabsh)
high risk ob @ HARBOR (marie beall)
gyn onc @ CS (dr. beth karlan)
gyn on @ HARBOR (dr. fikret atamdede)
ambulatory women's health elective: ob/gyn experience @ HARBOR (dr. griselda gutierrez)
gyn onc @ CHS (dr. jonathan berek)
in-pt gyn @ CHS (dr. chai-lin hsu)
reproductive health elective @ CHS (dr. angela chen)

BIDMC Boston:
pain relief in childbirth (dir: dr. hess; instructors: barnett, ingold, kunze, pratt)
sub-i in obstetrics (dir: dr. lim; instr: cohen, grable, sachs, wong)
gyn-onc (dir: dr. kim; instr: burke, kim, niloff)

at some of the other Harvard hospitals, mostly BWH, some MGH:
women's health elective (dir: dr. smulders-meyer; instr: o'brien)
gyn-onc (dir: dr. berkowitz; instr: feldman, feltmate, garner, goldstein, muto)
gyn-onc & path (dir: drs. fuller & young)
fert & repro endo (dir: dr. fox; instr: ashby, barbieri, fox, garguilo, ginsberg, hornstein, laufer, stewart, walsh, yanushpolsky)
mfm (dir: dr. mcelrath; instr: acker, davidson, dunn-albanese, economy, mcelrath, reiss, robinson, tuomala, wilkins-haug)
repro health (dir: dr. gottlieb; instr: schueler)
gyn path (dir: dr. crum; instr: bieber, genest, hirsch, ince, lee, mutter, nucci, quade, welch)

Members don't see this ad.

I would recommend going to CHS (Westwood) if you are going to rotate at UCLA. That's the mothership and it would probably give you the most exposure. Of the electives you list, HR ob with Tabsh will probably allow you to spend the most time with multiple residents and faculty and give you the most accurate picture of residency would be like there. On onc, you would be working with a single R2, the fellows, and 2-3 attendings. Plus, Berek just moved to a chair position at Stanford. It would be a good rotation, but you won't get to "see and be seen" as much.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the MFM subinternship in MFM at Brigham. It was an outstanding experience. I think the elective at Brigham with the least interaction may be REI so you may want to stray from that. GynOnc is intense there but an outstanding expereince. MFM was also intense. If you do go there for MFM feel free to PM me and I will give you some tips for success. I applied for the elective about 6 months in advance. I would advise you to apply as early as you can (aka before April 1 for priority placement). Good luck with your decision!

thanks everyone for the responses. this will definitely come in handy in the next few months!