Away Electives in Residency

Started by blp11
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

blp11

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rising PGY3 trying to get some info about elective rotations for EM residents. Our program allows us to go to other sites in the US or internationally but we have to set them up ourselves, and I'm at a bit of a loss on how to start without any personal connections. I think a health policy related rotation would be really interesting, but not sure how/where I could set something up. I'm also interested in global health, but I'd like to do something more EM or EMS oriented rather than primary care as a lot of international medicine seems to be geared toward. Open to other suggestions as well. Any thoughts or prior experiences?
 
GWU has a strong health policy group but I don't know if they accept external resident rotators. Worth asking though.

Tox groups are generally happy to welcome visiting residents. I enjoyed and benefitted a lot from a month with toxikon in Chicago.

Ultrasound rotations are also more doable than others because they are certainly EM but you can work many of them without malpractice coverage.

Simulation rotations would also be something to explore.

As for locations, start with states where your hospital system has satellite locations because they likely can continue to provide you medical malpractice coverage.

Best of luck,
Venk


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile