Away - Interview Dress

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DartosDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am on an OB Away this month, and have an interview scheduled. It is not on their normal interview days, as they are accommodating my schedule. I will be wearing scrubs in the AM for surgery, and the interview itself is in the afternoon.

My question is, should I wear scrubs on the interview, as I am sure my attending and residents will be - or should I bring my suit, and change while at work? Perhaps I am being trivial but I don;t want to look bad either way.

Just to be clear, this is not the typical interview day that goes from 8-2, it is interviews only, and has no lunches, no breaks between interviews, etc. All input is welcome. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I am on an OB Away this month, and have an interview scheduled. It is not on their normal interview days, as they are accommodating my schedule. I will be wearing scrubs in the AM for surgery, and the interview itself is in the afternoon.

My question is, should I wear scrubs on the interview, as I am sure my attending and residents will be - or should I bring my suit, and change while at work? Perhaps I am being trivial but I don;t want to look bad either way.

Just to be clear, this is not the typical interview day that goes from 8-2, it is interviews only, and has no lunches, no breaks between interviews, etc. All input is welcome. Thanks in advance!

I would change personally. I think it sends the message that you treat the interview with highest regard. You can always change back afterwards, but I don't think scrubs are appropriate. The attending and residents aren't being interviewed so I wouldn't base your wardrobe on theirs.

Go with the suit.

Your interviewers will be impressed that you took the time to change from your AM scrubs.

Do they have students from their med school interview on non-interview days as well? I would as one of them what the norms are for the program.

At my home program, we interview on non-interview days, and we are explicitly told to not wear a suit and to come wearing whatever we would normally be wearing on that day (work clothes if it's a floor rotation, scrubs if you are in the OR/ICU/etc).

I think it's worth asking.

Do they have students from their med school interview on non-interview days as well? I would as one of them what the norms are for the program.

At my home program, we interview on non-interview days, and we are explicitly told to not wear a suit and to come wearing whatever we would normally be wearing on that day (work clothes if it's a floor rotation, scrubs if you are in the OR/ICU/etc).

I think it's worth asking.

Thanks for the replies - pediperson, that is why I wanted to be sure before I assumed the suit was the right choice. I'll just ask on Monday. Thanks for the input!

Wearing scrubs to an interview is like wearing pajamas to a funeral.

Go with the suit.

I had an interview in the middle of the day during an away. I brought dress clothes, but no blazer.