Away Rotations 4th year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coltuna

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Current 3rd year here trying to plan for next year. I would like to go home for 4th year as 1) friends and family are there and 2) I would (hopefully) save a lot of money on travel/interview expenses as that is the area I will be targeting for residency applications. How hard would it be for me to schedule a whole year of "away" rotations at hospitals that aren't part of my school's core rotation sites? Is there anything I can/should be doing on my end now in order to ensure I can make this happen? Also, if the hospital(s) I'm looking at don't appear on VSAS, do I need to look on their specific website to see how I would apply for away rotations or just call someone there? I know I've seen 4th year medical students at the hospitals in the past. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Same school, planning on doing the same thing. You don't have to do all of your rotations at hospitals. If you want the easier route, just reach out to physicians that are office-based. There's basically no requirements other than having them sign a form saying they're okay with having you as a student. Hospitals gets more complicated because we need to get in touch with their legal department and have them sign an affiliation agreement if one isn't in place already. Otherwise, there's usually a section on hospital websites for visiting medical students and it will state whether or not they go through VSAS or some other program, or if you just email xyz person for more info.

Reactions: 1 users
How hard would it be for me to schedule a whole year of "away" rotations at hospitals that aren't part of my school's core rotation sites? I
Depends on your region. But if you don't care about quality of your rotations it should be.

Is there anything I can/should be doing on my end now in order to ensure I can make this happen?
Email GME coordinators.

Talk to students from nearby DO school. See if they have a core site near your hometown. You might not get to rotate at academic hospitals but some DO schools have affiliations at nearby regional centers.

Hello all,

Current 3rd year here trying to plan for next year. I would like to go home for 4th year as 1) friends and family are there and 2) I would (hopefully) save a lot of money on travel/interview expenses as that is the area I will be targeting for residency applications. How hard would it be for me to schedule a whole year of "away" rotations at hospitals that aren't part of my school's core rotation sites? Is there anything I can/should be doing on my end now in order to ensure I can make this happen? Also, if the hospital(s) I'm looking at don't appear on VSAS, do I need to look on their specific website to see how I would apply for away rotations or just call someone there? I know I've seen 4th year medical students at the hospitals in the past. Thanks!
The Detroit programs don’t go through VSAS, so just apply/contact them