away rotations and radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phllystyl

n0t the j0ke f0rum!@RAWR@
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all,

so im trying to schedule my 4th yr rotations now. Given my sub-I and another required rotation, I don't know if Ill have room for an away rotation in radiology. I could *make* one if I had to, by moving stuff around, but already intend to do a Diag Rad and a VIR rotation at my medical school (Temple).

How important are aways in radiology? Am I shooting myself in the foot by not doing one?

Members don't see this ad.

phllystyl said:
hi all,

so im trying to schedule my 4th yr rotations now. Given my sub-I and another required rotation, I don't know if Ill have room for an away rotation in radiology. I could *make* one if I had to, by moving stuff around, but already intend to do a Diag Rad and a VIR rotation at my medical school (Temple).

How important are aways in radiology? Am I shooting myself in the foot by not doing one?

If I get my #1 choice, it will be purely because I did an away rotation there. One month led to a research project which helped me get the interview and thus I had the chance to impress them in person rather than try on paper, which probably wouldn't have been enough.

I will know for sure when match day comes but I felt I would not have received two interviews had I not done out of town rotations - at USC in LA and UVA. USC is one of the best programs in California and had at least 20 non USC rotators through the department this year - the PD offers a post rotation courtesy interview if interested. This is my first choice but I do not if doing a rotation and telling the PD I ranked them number 1 during my second look back will help, but we'll see.

I was able to work with the PD at UVA for a month and he also sent me home with some work to do - he offered to write a LOR. I do not know how many people rotated at UVA so do not know if this helps my chances.

The best thing to do is contact a program you are interested in and ask about doing a rotation.

I heard Jackson Memorial is a nice place to do a VIR rotation if you are interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
when is the latest one can do an away rotation?

phllystyl said:
when is the latest one can do an away rotation?

February is generally too late. Jan and Dec you will be interviewing. Nov you might also be interviewing. I started with Rad and TY interviews mid Nov. I would say October is the latest you would want to do one.

I did one at my home school, then went to a community/academic place, then an academic place. I got to see 3 distinct ways of teaching/practicing radiology, which was indeed helpful for reasons other than acquiring interviews.

samsoccer,

Where did you do your academic rotation? How did you rank them? Just curious.

WBC

Whisker Barrel Cortex said:
samsoccer,

Where did you do your academic rotation? How did you rank them? Just curious.

WBC

Northwestern - #1

I guess *my* major issue is Im trying to decide if radiolgoy or another field are the right choice for me.... therefore, i have to do both early in my fourth year, and because of some required rotations that doesnt leave me with the most amount of time in terms of scheduling an away.

It seems they are important, which is only making this more frustrating for me.

*le sigh*

phllystyl said:
I guess *my* major issue is Im trying to decide if radiolgoy or another field are the right choice for me.... therefore, i have to do both early in my fourth year, and because of some required rotations that doesnt leave me with the most amount of time in terms of scheduling an away.

It seems they are important, which is only making this more frustrating for me.

*le sigh*

What's your other field? If it's medicine or general surg or something less competitive, I would still do a radiology rotation. If it's ENT, Uro, Optho, Derm, Neurosurg, or something tough or small, then you need to figure it out. You have spring break coming up probably. If you're not going to Cancun, take the week and spend it with a radiologist to see what it's like. That's about all I can say to help you now.

Anesthesiology is the one Im comparing to Interverntional Rads currently. I also do not know how competetive of an applicant I am, but I guess I should see my Program Director about that?