Away rotations during neurology residency

Started by erasable
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

erasable

Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how to apply for away rotations during neurology residency?
Which programs host away electives that I can apply for?
Please advise.

Thanks!
 
Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how to apply for away rotations during neurology residency?
Which programs host away electives that I can apply for?
Please advise.

Thanks!

You should ask your Program director for details.
I believe you can apply for away electives only in the specialties not offered at your home institution.
Secondly, Since Medicare pays for resident training, there is a process by which that money is transferred from your home institution to the away institution for the time of the elective. That is a logistical hassle and something most programs don't want to go through.
Also, you would need to apply for a temporary state license in the event of it being a different state.

To answer your last question, I know the NIH has a 1 month or 3 month option for away electives for residents in ACGME accredited programs.
You would need to check websites of the other institutions or likely call their GME office to find out.