Away rotations in specialties you likely wont go into

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ciestar

All grown up!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it in poor taste to apply for away rotations in specialties you are nearly certain you won’t try to match into?

Perusing VSAS, i saw something in pathology that seemed really interesting, but, I know I don’t want to do path.

Advice?
How do I approach Aways in general?

Members don't see this ad.

Poor taste? No
Waste of time? Yes
Waste of money? Yes

Reactions: 8 users
In audition season, I would consider it poor taste. You’re taking a spot away from somebody who actually wants to go into path.

But in winter/spring post-audition-season and post-match? Don’t see a problem with it. @MeatTornado might be right about it being a waste of time and money but if it’s something you’re really interested in, it’s your time and money to waste.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In audition season, I would consider it poor taste. You’re taking a spot away from somebody who actually wants to go into path.

But in winter/spring post-audition-season and post-match? Don’t see a problem with it. @MeatTornado might be right about it being a waste of time and money but if it’s something you’re really interested in, it’s your time and money to waste.

Or if you just want to chill out in another city for a month. I did 2 always as a 4th year. One in my hometown in a tangentially related field and one in San Fran in a completely unrelated specialty. Had fun and learned a bit at both.

Reactions: 4 users
Or if you just want to chill out in another city for a month. I did 2 always as a 4th year. One in my hometown in a tangentially related field and one in San Fran in a completely unrelated specialty. Had fun and learned a bit at both.

That is basically what I want to do! I want to branch out a little bit and explore cities/specialties I don’t know as much about. I will definitely keep in mind about doing this after audition periods and maybe do an away in a potentially desired specialty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Would guess that away rotations in path are rarely filled, especially if it's something esoteric. That being said before applications go in you should be doing rotations in your chosen specialty anyway and not going off to do a random away.

That is basically what I want to do! I want to branch out a little bit and explore cities/specialties I don’t know as much about. I will definitely keep in mind about doing this after audition periods and maybe do an away in a potentially desired specialty.

Don't get me wrong I did an away 4th year as well. It was a really fun month and it's interesting getting exposed to a different hospital/system. If you plan it well (for instance sublet your place) you can certainly break even and it won't be much of an expense.

Reactions: 2 users
Would guess that away rotations in path are rarely filled, especially if it's something esoteric. That being said before applications go in you should be doing rotations in your chosen specialty anyway and not going off to do a random away.

Don't get me wrong I did an away 4th year as well. It was a really fun month and it's interesting getting exposed to a different hospital/system. If you plan it well (for instance sublet your place) you can certainly break even and it won't be much of an expense.
I don't know what our capacity is, but we have had multiple away students rotating at my program every month. It's certainly not like the specialties where it's required/expected but I don't think the idea that you're taking a spot from someone who needs it doesn't apply.

With path specifically OP, I know it's always appreciated when people going into other specialties want to learn more and I think spending some time doing path that's related to your specialty of choice is really helpful. I had recommended several of my classmates do it and they have all had really positive experiences. Albeit that was at our home institution but if you wanted to do it as an away that would be cool too.

I can't imagine why you would want to pay an extra rent on top of your current rent at your school to just try out a place. Personally, I think it'd be a waste especially if I'm not interested in that specialty. If you're really itching for it I'm sure your school has a pathology dept you can do a rotation in.

I’m definitely taking an away in something I’m not going into just to vacay with my fam out of state for a month. I’m going to try to plan it after the interview season if possible. We’ll see what pans out.

Hoping for path or something easy. Hopefully I can learn something cool while i’m there too.

I can't imagine why you would want to pay an extra rent on top of your current rent at your school to just try out a place. Personally, I think it'd be a waste especially if I'm not interested in that specialty. If you're really itching for it I'm sure your school has a pathology dept you can do a rotation in.

Guess it is good i don’t pay rent.

Anyway, my school does have path. But this away is more in forensic path/ME stuff. Which has always interested me. Cost will come into play and I am completely ignorant on the subject.

I do want to do at least one away, though. Whether it be in FM, psych, maybe peds. Lots of options and I’ll try and figure it out.

I’m definitely taking an away in something I’m not going into just to vacay with my fam out of state for a month. I’m going to try to plan it after the interview season if possible. We’ll see what pans out.

Hoping for path or something easy. Hopefully I can learn something cool while i’m there too.

My man!

I heard of an upperclassman doing this with a path rotation at University of Hawaii and apparently only showed up at the rotation for two days and spent the rest on the beach.

Reactions: 1 users